Child hurt on Cruise question

bnorris10

Out of curiosity

A child runs past another child and knocks that said child out of a chair by accident of course and the fallen child breaks a collar bone and has to go to visit doctor on the ship

Leaving travel insurance and personal health insurance out of it - Should the parents of the hurt child be responsible for the doctor's fee's?

YES, certainly

So lets simplify the issue. Assume your child is out playing and gets hurt due to the actions of another child. Who do you think pays the medical costs? If one has strong feelings about it they can certainly file a lawsuit (good luck with that). Now take a similar situation and put in on a ship in International waters. In what jurisdiction do you even sue?

Hank

The child was running around Club C in his socks which caused him to slip a little to much when he was running and it was my daughter who got hurt - she will be fine we have already taken her to her normal doctor luckily we have been thru a broken collar bone before so we knew it was not a grave emergency to jump off the ship

The kid I know felt so bad every time he saw my daughter he was apologizing and hugging her - Never heard a thing from his parents I guess I am just a weirdo as if it was reversed I would have looked for the other parents and seen what I could do to help at least I know the kid felt bad about what happened

You are not a weirdo; I would have wondered the same thing as you. This is the era that 'my child does no wrong'.

Very happy your daughter is OK; you are a good parent setting a good example.:)

Kids play, kids run around, kids get hurt. Its normal life and simply an accident if a broken bone happens in this setting.

As a teacher, if parents sued parents for injuries that happen in the years I have been teaching then most terms would be heavily disrupted.

The suing culture isn't a healthy place to be. People need to accept that many things happen without someone at fault and looking for something or someone to blame is only going to make it worse.

If someone really is at fault then by all means seek legal action, but don't look for something that isn't there.

The child was running around Club C in his socks which caused him to slip a little to much when he was running and it was my daughter who got hurt - she will be fine we have already taken her to her normal doctor luckily we have been thru a broken collar bone before so we knew it was not a grave emergency to jump off the ship

The kid I know felt so bad every time he saw my daughter he was apologizing and hugging her - Never heard a thing from his parents I guess I am just a weirdo as if it was reversed I would have looked for the other parents and seen what I could do to help at least I know the kid felt bad about what happened

Thought your "generic" question was too specific of a situation to be hypothetical - especially posted on this forum. Glad you finally clarified this. Just wonder why you didn't do so in the first place?

Glad you daughter will be OK.

I have a little different thought on it. If the child that caused the accident was doing something they shouldn't have been and caused the accident, then I think there is partial blame and there should be some restitution.

for instance, if the child that was running was doing so in an area that you should not be running or if the child had been told to stop running then this accident was preventable. If running in a park or schoolyard I agree it was a true accident that was probably not preventable but running on a ship is not something you should be doing so I think there is some blame and perhaps some monetary responsibility.

Maybe I have been watching too much Judge Judy... :confused:

Actually you are the only one that seems to think what is being called an accident could be preventable if the kid was behaving. Not saying the parent owes the injured party the doctor bill money but if the kid wasn’t running the ‘accident’ probably would not of happened. I have yet to see many places on a cruise ship where running was exceptable. Most parents today think whatever their child does is exceptable .

Out of curiosity

A child runs past another child and knocks that said child out of a chair by accident of course and the fallen child breaks a collar bone and has to go to visit doctor on the ship

Leaving travel insurance and personal health insurance out of it - Should the parents of the hurt child be responsible for the doctor's fee's?

My personal reaction - if someone chooses to have kids, they have accepted the responsibility to care for those kids. Bind their wounds, sooth their throats, comb their hair, whatever. Stuff happens, parent steps up and takes care of it. So what if the “cause” of an injury was a high wind or a defective swing set or a wild kid running loose or a meaningless accident? Stuff happens. Take care of your kid and move on...

Stan

Out of curiosity

No,

JMHO but I would expect the parents of the injured child to pay and if the parents of the child that slipped and caused the accident offered, than would work something out

However, at the very least I would hope they would at least check up on the injured child and offer apologies.

I have a little different thought on it. If the child that caused the accident was doing something they shouldn't have been and caused the accident, then I think there is partial blame and there should be some restitution.

for instance, if the child that was running was doing so in an area that you should not be running or if the child had been told to stop running then this accident was preventable. If running in a park or schoolyard I agree it was a true accident that was probably not preventable but running on a ship is not something you should be doing so I think there is some blame and perhaps some monetary responsibility.

Maybe I have been watching too much Judge Judy... :confused:

This. I get irritated with all the running that kids do -- in inappropriate places. Kids constantly run IN CHURCH and never get corrected. Outside, at a park -- perfectly good. But in a restraunt where people are carrying food, in church, in a business -- parents tell your kids to walk!!!!

This. I get irritated with all the running that kids do -- in inappropriate places. Kids constantly run IN CHURCH and never get corrected. Outside, at a park -- perfectly good. But in a restraunt where people are carrying food, in church, in a business -- parents tell your kids to walk!!!!

That’s fine. But in this situation OP already clarified that it occurred in the kids club. Which is a perfectly acceptable place for a child to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So this occurred in the kids club. Not by the pool. Not in a restaurant. Not on an outside deck. Not in church. . In the KIDS CLUB. JMO, but little different than a day care. Kids are kids. They don't stop to consider ramifications or consequences of their actions. They're kids. And while I have no experience with kids clubs, I had many years experience with my kids (and grand kid) in day care. Never saw a lot of parents hanging around to supervise their children's activities. And accidents, while not a daily thing, happen. Why? Because kids are kids. We had a few trips to the Dr's office or ER during those years. Insisting on compensation from the parents, or contemplating legal action wasn't even on our radar. But I don't live in a country where suing at the drop of a hat is a pastime.

Kids shouldn't be in church at all, if they are too young to sit still, they should be in childcare or such.

So this occurred in the kids club. Not by the pool. Not in a restaurant. Not on an outside deck. Not in church. ��. In the KIDS CLUB. JMO, but little different than a day care. Kids are kids. They don't stop to consider ramifications or consequences of their actions. They're kids. And while I have no experience with kids clubs, I had many years experience with my kids (and grand kid) in day care. Never saw a lot of parents hanging around to supervise their children's activities. And accidents, while not a daily thing, happen. Why? Because kids are kids. We had a few trips to the Dr's office or ER during those years. Insisting on compensation from the parents, or contemplating legal action wasn't even on our radar. But I don't live in a country where suing at the drop of a hat is a pastime.

Or where medical costs a bomb.

That’s fine. But in this situation OP already clarified that it occurred in the kids club. Which is a perfectly acceptable place for a child to run.

But.... it is reasonably foreseeable that a child running in socks could slip and fall, injuring himself or another person. I would also want to know whether there was appropriate levels of supervision. It's not as cut and dried as many people seem to think.

But.... it is reasonably foreseeable that a child running in socks could slip and fall, injuring himself or another person. I would also want to know whether there was appropriate levels of supervision. It's not as cut and dried as many people seem to think.

True; but not forseeable by the child. If anyone was possibly able to be held liable here, it would be the kids club staff, not the parents of the other child.

I don't see how you can hold the parents responsive for an accident that happened at the kids club. They probably weren't there and ship staff was responsible for providing supervision.

A more pertinent question would be whether the cruise-line should have a responsibility to cover the costs.

When I had an injury while traveling, my health insurance covered the cost other than my co-pay. They called later to ask for details of what happened so they could figure out whether to they could go to someone to recover their costs (which didn't apply in that case).

Since insurance covered your cost, it is best to leave it to the insurance company to decide whether to try to recover them.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Kids shouldn't be in church at all, if they are too young to sit still, they should be in childcare or such.

What? There are no baby rooms at our church. There is a family Mass on sundays that takes place at the same time as the regular 10:30 Mass (but not for the 9 or 12), but parents are more than welcome, even encouraged, to take children of all ages into the regular ones.