Becoming Elite question

fire&teacher

We are booked for a 7 night cruise October 2017 which we consider a "big one" for us with shore excursions. If we go on a short cruise before then, we will be Elite on the big one. Is it worth going on a short one before to get to Elite?

If you want the perks, I would do it.

We are booked for a 7 night cruise October 2017 which we consider a "big one" for us with shore excursions. If we go on a short cruise before then, we will be Elite on the big one. Is it worth going on a short one before to get to Elite?

To answer the question about going on a short cruise just to become Elite and is it worth it? No, Not unless you really, really want to be on the short cruise to begin with. And for all the money that you'd spend on the short cruise, that's a chunk of change just to get free laundry on your first Elite cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To answer the question about going on a short cruise just to become Elite and is it worth it? No, Not unless you really, really want to be on the short cruise to begin with. And for all the money that you'd spend on the short cruise, that's a chunk of change just to get free laundry on your first Elite cruise.

Totally agree with the above!

Good Grief, no way should you take a short cruise unless you really want to take it. Just to become Elite isn't a good reason. :)

So, what do you want out of being Elite? Yes, you get a stocked mini-bar with half a dozen small bottles of booze, You get some free laundry. And you get a bunch of free internet time. It that stuff is worth taking a short cruise...then go for it. Personally, we find it not much...except when we take long cruises (more then a couple of weeks) when the free internet time is nice. With the exception of RCI and Celebrity (where you can get daily free cocktail hours) we are not sure the frequent cruiser perks are worth a shout. And we do get nearly all the perks on RCI, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, etc. So what!

Hank

Somewhat agree with this post. It really depends on what it would cost to take the short cruise - travel costs and work time (if you're not retired) and the extent to which the convenience of elite benefits on your next trip equals or exceed the value of the short cruise. That said, just about any cruise can be very relaxing.

We did a short re-positioning cruise, LA to Vancouver, one time because it was a great price and we wanted to do a cruise. If even a short one. We probably won't do that again unless we want to spend time in the ending port (or, possibly, the beginning port). Too much hassle to get home afterwards on that one for such a short time. It did get us to Elite that much sooner, but, if we had it to do over maybe a longer cruise would have been the better plan. Just us, just our experience. Enjoy your Elite status whenever you achieve it. :)

I have agree that the only plus is the bar set up. I am very happy with Platinum with quick boarding and free internet minutes.

I have agree that the only plus is the bar set up. I am very happy with Platinum with quick boarding and free internet minutes.

Oops, I'd forgotten about the bar set-up. Woo-hooooo! Makes me even more excited for our Grand cruise in 3 days [emoji2]

I just don't understand the desperation some have for "Status".

Personally I don't think any of the "Benefits" are worth much.

Look at it this way for a two day cruise I'm looking at nearly $1,000 (for two) in exchange I'll get what? Maybe $20 of laundry (which Mrs Gut would refuse to use anyway but let's count it) and maybe $200 (doubt it's really worth that much) mini bar.

Plus 10% off some shopping which will only encourage Mrs Gut to spend more anyway.

Plus priority tendering.

Nope the numbers just don't work for me.

If you want to go on the short cruise for enjoyment then go. Don't do it just to become elite. The perks for elite are not worth the money you will pay for the short cruise. The best Elite perk is free laundry, which you will have limited use for on a 7 day cruise. Even if you do use the laundry once it is probably only worth about $50. The second best perk are the internet mins., and you get them already as platinum. Other perks are nice, but minimal.

Since the best elite perk is free laundry I am not sure of the value you would get with a seven day cruise. We actually did what you propose taking a short Ca coastal in middle of week long trip to get to elite. We were driving anyway so there were no extra expenses. Then we followed a month later with 21 days on the med. in that scenario the laundry and internet was well worth it. Also got 3 bar setups given princesses odd way of processing the cruise legs

Since the best elite perk is free laundry I am not sure of the value you would get with a seven day cruise. We actually did what you propose taking a short Ca coastal in middle of week long trip to get to elite. We were driving anyway so there were no extra expenses. Then we followed a month later with 21 days on the med. in that scenario the laundry and internet was well worth it. Also got 3 bar setups given princesses odd way of processing the cruise legs

This isn't the first post to mention Internet benefits but Elite and Platinum have the exact same Internet benefits. There is no Internet "bump" for Elite status.

Like others, I would take the short cruise only if I already wanted to do so. Just to become Elite it doesn't make sense to me. However, since a 7 day cruise is a "big one" for the OP, it seems that short cruises are already the norm in this case. If you like short cruises and have the time and money and, above all, the desire to take another short cruise first then by all means do so. I just wouldn't do it for the sole purpose of the dubious Elite perks.

I'm at Platinum...I'll get to Elite whenever I get to Elite...by taking the cruises I want to take when I want to take them...

Yes, I already get those free internet minutes at Platinum...

So, what do I get extra at Elite on Princess?

A "minibar set up"...

Free Laundry...

Free Shoe Shining...

Priority tenders...

Canapes in the room on formal night...

Afternoon tea in my cabin if I reserve six hours in advance...

One free wine tasting...

Okay:

1) The minibar setup equates to what? 3 or 4 drinks? I could just buy those instead...and those are in my cabin, not in a bar, served...I could always just smuggle on my own mini bottles.

2) If it's a 7 night cruise or less, I really won't have to bother with laundry. If it's a longer cruise, the difference is I'd pay for a load of laundry...or use the laundromat.

3) I don't even pack shoes that need shining.

4) How many tender ports are there? And, if you are on a Princess shorex, this is irrelevant anyway

5) Like I need more food? I get these on Celebrity (where I am Elite Plus) and they usually go wasted anyway...I'm not in my cabin when they arrive and I can get a better choice of canapes elsewhere on the ship.

6) I'm not sitting around my cabin for tea.

7) Okay, I like wine...but I can also go to a bar and buy a couple of glasses of wine...doesn't cost that much.

So, to sum it up, it's all either stuff I don't need anyway or stuff I can just purchase on my own for a few extra dollars.

Besides, you'd be to Elite by the NEXT cruise anyway...

So, go ahead and book another cruise IF you want to go on another cruise...Don't book one to save the cost of a couple of drinks and some laundry on this one...

I'm at Platinum...I'll get to Elite whenever I get to Elite...by taking the cruises I want to take when I want to take them...

Yes, I already get those free internet minutes at Platinum...

So, what do I get extra at Elite on Princess?

A "minibar set up"...

Free Laundry...

Free Shoe Shining...

Priority tenders...

Canapes in the room on formal night...

Afternoon tea in my cabin if I reserve six hours in advance...

One free wine tasting...

10% discount in ships stores:D;)

We did something like what the OP is suggesting. We had a 7 day Caribbean cruise in June, and were booked on a Christmas/New Year's 15 day Hawaiian cruise in December. We had 13 cruise credits boarding the Caribbean cruise. Since we're a family of 4, we had 2 balcony cabins booked. I upgraded us to all 4 in a suite, which cost an extra $500 for the week (including loss of OBC for having 1 cabin instead of 2). For that $500 cost, we got to experience a suite for a week (including breakfast at Sabatini's and a free specialty restaurant dinner for all of us the first night, free laundry, and a minibar setup) and then on our 15 day cruise (since we had made Elite by getting 2 cruise credits for the suite in June) we had 2 minibar setups (1 for each of our 2 cabins), free laundry and priority tendering in Maui. We felt that this was worth it.

As for taking an extra cruise... if you can get one that is low priced and convenient for you, an extra cruise is always fun!

It all depends on whether the cost of the short cruise is worth it to you or not. It seems to me that the best place to get a reposition cruise that is really inexpensive is either Vancouver for a reposition to Seattle or Seattle for a reposition to Vancouver as both of those are 1-day cruises and the only time those are available is at the start or end of the Alaska cruising season (May or September.) At least I don't believe that there are any other places that have anything less than a 3- or 4-day reposition, so it really depends on whether you think it's worth the cost. Which ever way you decide, I hope you have a great cruise!

Tom

It all depends on whether the cost of the short cruise is worth it to you or not. It seems to me that the best place to get a reposition cruise that is really inexpensive is either Vancouver for a reposition to Seattle or Seattle for a reposition to Vancouver as both of those are 1-day cruises and the only time those are available is at the start or end of the Alaska cruising season (May or September.)

Not cost effective for the OP who lives in Florida.