$7.95 Room Service Charge

The omission of the crime scene in Cancun was a big hole of comparison information.

Just in 2017 alone (and it's been like this for years):

https://www.voanews.com/a/two-bodies-found-shootout-kills-one-in-mexico-resort-of-cancun-/3904015.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-21/showdown-in-cancun-narcos-take-their-war-into-hot-beach-resorts

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-club-shooting-crime-in-cancun-playa-del-carmen-2017-1

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/03/human-head-with-threatening-message-found-in-cancun/

No wonder the property was never left. In comparison...we've never seen anything remotely close to this kind of risk going cruising. In fact, many cruise lines have drastically reduced Cancun as a destination for this very same reason.

No thanks...we'll keep cruising for vacations in contrast to being a prisoner at a "5-star resort".

...and if needed, we'll pay the $7.95 room service fee (although we only order the base - free - menu items if/when room service is used).

The reason we never left the resort was not for fear of safety, but because we went for complete rest and relaxation. Mainly rest from standard daily kiddo duties. I did not "feel like a prisoner", but simply wanted to stay on the resort. There are many cruises, where I did not get off the boat. Was it due to fear? No, but just did not want to deal with the hassle of getting of the boat. I paid to be on the resort property drinking and eating food which I already paid for.

In contrast, below I have posted some links to crime from popular cruise embarkation ports and stops. I have excluded Europe as we are primarily talking about Caribbean Cruising.

Orlando(Main Airport city for Port Canaveral):

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html

Miami:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article149206214.html

Baltimore:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2009/12/06/machine-gun-shooting-baltimore-hotel-injures.html

Charleston, SC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_church_shooting

New York City:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

Nassau:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/11/articles/crime/bahamas-reaches-record-murder-rate-as-chief-of-tourism-police-says-downtown-nassau-safe-for-tourists/

Cozumel:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/16/alejandra-villanueva-bpm-festival-shooting-playa-del-carmen-mexico/

Grand Cayman:

https://www.caymancompass.com/2017/02/04/new-shooting-outside-seven-mile-beach-night-club/

The point being that we can google articles, look up crime rates, etc. and find something for nearly every location you go in the world. If you believe you are safe, just because you are on a cruise, you are sorely mistaken. I have been on several cruises where people have "vanished", and were presumed to have gone overboard. It was truly tragic. One was confirmed via video footage, and the others no footage was found. It was assumed there was no foul play, but one never knows...

Another risk to consider is that also had to fly to Cancun. Many can drive to a cruise port. There is some inherent risk in flying, which ironically enough is lower than driving. However, for many the idea of a possible terrorist attack involving a plane, or the possibility of a plane crash, is enough to deter people from flying, and causing them to drive instead, despite the fact that one is more likely to die in a car, than on a plane. For some, the risk of flying is too high to consider flying.

On European cruises, as anyone who has been on one, you have to hold onto your wallet like your life depends on it. The pickpockets are out in full force, and on about half the tours I have been on almost always someone gets pickpocketed. But I am going on a tangent, and we are sticking to the Caribbean cruises.

I do not argue that Cancun's crime rate is higher than average. So is Baltimore. So is Miami. Do we simply avoid all embarkation ports due to the high crime rate at many of them, or due to previous terrorist attacks that have occurred at the port cities? The boat is not entirely safe either, unfortunately, as bad things have happened on boats before, some explained, some never explained.

The purpose of my review was to convey the differences from my experience for the first time at a land based AI resort. I am willing to bet that a similar experience could be obtained at Punta Cana or Jamaican 5 star resort without the extreme terrorist headlining attacks occurring in their respective locations, however, I am only speculating as I have not been to one. Based on talking with other people at the resort I was at, while the one we were at in most people's opinion was one of the top, there were others that they enjoyed as much if not more, some located in Cancun, Punta Cana, and Jamaica. The price was relatively equivalent, within 200 dollars or so when I was pricing equivalent resorts in Punta Cana. I did not price resorts in Jamaica so I cannot state what pricing was at the time of booking for the dates we went.

I think a bigger "hole" in my comparison is the fact that RCI is a 4 star family friendly cruise line, and this was a 5 star Luxury Adults Only AI resort. The price, however, was reasonably close. A 4 Star Family Friendly resort would have been notably cheaper than RCI.

An even bigger "hole" than the previous "hole" is the fact that the cruise industry peak season is the summer break for the US. For AI resorts, it is only mid season. Their peak season tends to be the winter months from what the concierge at the resort told me. Therefore, we were not comparing peak pricing of an AI vs RCI peak pricing, we were comparing the same dates, however, which I believe to be more important for comparison purposes.

This comparison was never meant to be some double blinded placebo controlled trial between resorts. I was not attempting to control for all the variables. It was meant more of a case report between an AI and an RCI cruise.

Also, the $7.95 room service fee applies to everything except continental breakfast. There are no "free" menu items otherwise.

Edited by rimmit

The omission of the crime scene in Cancun was a big hole of comparison information.

Just in 2017 alone (and it's been like this for years):

https://www.voanews.com/a/two-bodies-found-shootout-kills-one-in-mexico-resort-of-cancun-/3904015.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-21/showdown-in-cancun-narcos-take-their-war-into-hot-beach-resorts

http://www.businessinsider.com/mexico-club-shooting-crime-in-cancun-playa-del-carmen-2017-1

http://www.theyucatantimes.com/2017/03/human-head-with-threatening-message-found-in-cancun/

No wonder the property was never left. In comparison...we've never seen anything remotely close to this kind of risk going cruising. In fact, many cruise lines have drastically reduced Cancun as a destination for this very same reason.

No thanks...we'll keep cruising for vacations in contrast to being a prisoner at a "5-star resort".

...and if needed, we'll pay the $7.95 room service fee (although we only order the base - free - menu items if/when room service is used).

Well said. Last few yrs I also avoid certain areas in Mexico. When their police have to be better armed then the US military I'll pass for now. US cities are no where near as dangerous and I lived/worked in Detroit/Flint during the rise and peak of the Crack crime wave of the 1980-90's...

I guess after 103 pages a thread might go off topic a bit. Started as $7.95 charge and now it's about crime rates in communities. :')

...and a select few posters seem to make it sound like the $7.95 fee and scary places are almost alike... :eek::eek::eek: ;p

You do both realize that you are logged into Cruise Critic, right? It is how we role here.:)

Bella is our 6 year old Westie. She has been appearing here for the past year or so. I try and insert her in when threads seem to run their course or to try and calm them down. She has quite the following on here.

Well, she is quite cute and I figure I'll run across her a few more times as I spend time here.

To many, the room service charge is the crime. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Beat me to it.

Does the iPhone app look different to you? I was having issues loading pages so I noticed there was an update to the droid app. It looks a lot different. Almost like TapaTalk.

Thanks again, you'll often find her near Biker's dead horse. ;)

I believe both have made appearances here. I think since Biker no longer has two wheels, the dead horse just doesn't have the influence and power it once had. I see a change in his posts too. I think he needs wind therapy again. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do get wind therapy, but it is limited to about 10-15 MPH, my riding speed on my bicycle.

Biker, whose dead horse seems to have lost some effectiveness.

Do you remember when a former poster said we weren't allowed to decide when a thread had run it's course. ;)

To many, the room service charge is the crime. Lol

Seems so... :D

BTW....transplanted Milwaukeean myself.

You do both realize that you are logged into Cruise Critic, right? It is how we role here.:)

You mean Rock & Roll.... (ship talk)....

Thanks again, you'll often find her near Biker's dead horse. ;)

This one's back for a repeat appearance (seems appropriate)...

big_headed_tiny_dog_chasing_tail_lg.gif~c200

Hello everyone,Regarding the orginal post…the cost of room service. I admit that in the past RC room service has not been the best tasting (I tried before the new menu came out). However, when room service is your ONLY option after 9pm, it is a nice option when it was free (RC smaller ships do not have sorrentos pizza late night). I will say again that I was disappointed by the new charge(s). I've read the suggestions of smuggling food to my room, or packing my own snacks… I booked for 2018 last year…at the time of booking the fee did not apply. However, after hearing about the fee. I emailed RC and voiced my concerns. RC gave me stock answers that did not satisfy me suggesting that fee was due to menu improvements. I asked if they were compensating any way…they responded "no". RC suggested that if I wanted to eat after 9 pm; I could book a suite for free room service. After serveral back and forth emails…with my concerns I continued to receive stock answers. Specfically I asked if the WJ would be open later on Vision…"no". I see from earlier posts, suggesting that european website and travel agents saying only late night menu fee applies apx. $3.00. In the U.S. I was told different info, I will see what happens on the Vision in 2018 med cruise. I asked if there was a RC brand ambassador…"no". I would like to ask that all people who are not happy with the new charge for room service, please contact RC directly and let them know. Power in numbers. For those who don't care about the charge, please do not try to shame those of us who are not happy with the fee. To everyone have awesome travels.

Hello everyone,Regarding the orginal post…the cost of room service. I admit that in the past RC room service has not been the best tasting (I tried before the new menu came out). However, when room service is your ONLY option after 9pm, it is a nice option when it was free (RC smaller ships do not have sorrentos pizza late night). I will say again that I was disappointed by the new charge(s). I've read the suggestions of smuggling food to my room, or packing my own snacks… I booked for 2018 last year…at the time of booking the fee did not apply. However, after hearing about the fee. I emailed RC and voiced my concerns. RC gave me stock answers that did not satisfy me suggesting that fee was due to menu improvements. I asked if they were compensating any way…they responded "no". RC suggested that if I wanted to eat after 9 pm; I could book a suite for free room service. After serveral back and forth emails…with my concerns I continued to receive stock answers. Specfically I asked if the WJ would be open later on Vision…"no". I see from earlier posts, suggesting that european website and travel agents saying only late night menu fee applies apx. $3.00. In the U.S. I was told different info, I will see what happens on the Vision in 2018 med cruise. I asked if there was a RC brand ambassador…"no". I would like to ask that all people who are not happy with the new charge for room service, please contact RC directly and let them know. Power in numbers. For those who don't care about the charge, please do not try to shame those of us who are not happy with the fee. To everyone have awesome travels.

I honestly think this is going to happen to more and more cruise lines. NCL went to the same $7.95 service charge long before RCCL did. But with NCL, there are far more late night complimentary choices to choose from. They open their buffet back up at 9:30 to 11:00 for late night snacks, plus O'Sheehan's Irish Pub is a total complimentary restaurant open 24 hours a day, offering a FULL MENU! As for your concern with RCCL---no matter how many emails you send, they are not going to change this. Perhaps what you should be doing is asking them for more late night/24 hour complimentary choices. It is one of the reasons I was far happier with my NCL cruise than the 2 RCCL or 5 Carnival cruises I've taken. Much better choices with NCL. I will be sailing NCL again in January, and hope for many more cruises with them.

Perhaps you switch lines to NCL, but remember---free room service may be a thing of the past on ALL lines in the future.

We only use room service for breakfast and the hot breakfast on our cruises in April and June was much better than before so i was happy to pay and give $3 tip as usual to the delivery waiter.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Bringing food or snacks is not smuggling. You don't get sent to the brig.;)