Possible Expansion of Electronics Ban

TiogaCruiser

We're flying to Europe for our Baltic cruise next week. I want to bring my laptop to use the 5 days prior to getting on the ship in Amsterdam. If the electronics ban is expanded I worry about putting my laptop in my suitcase for the trip home simply because of the possibility of it disappearing in transit. Airport employees have been notorious for stealing things out of suitcases.

I'm not sure what I will do at this point. I fly away on Tuesday. I'll watch this very closely and make a decision at the last minute, I guess. My iPhone just doesn't do everything my laptop does.

And to ban cameras? Are they nuts? I surely hope they think this thing through before moving forward.

Hmm, laptop, ipad batteries are not supposed to be in checked luggage.

I hope this is not going to happen.

What's ironic is that Air Canada Rouge (the deadly awful part of Air Canada) uses ipads on board to watch movies. (I kid you not).

It took me a long time to get used to my ipad and now I love it when travelling. Easy to keep up with emails, copy and paste for live threads, etc.

I hope this is not coming to fruition.

Maybe I will have to ship my Ipad to FLL? LOL.

Theft is the big thing for us that has us concerned, too...laptops, DSLRs, iPads...all BIG deals to thieves. If we had more confidence in the security the airlines has for our baggage and its handling, I don't think I'd be as worried. If we are allowed to gate-check that would help...but with hundreds of us doing that at a gate, it isn't happening.

Agree this is just "theater" to make us all think like they're doing something. Not happy about it at all, though. We probably have more risk of losing our electronics than the plane being bombed.

Just more reasons to drive to the port.

RocketMan lives in Alabama. About 14 hours to FLL.
This electronics ban expansion only affects flights coming into the US, not from AL. Edited by catl331

When the original small electronics ban went into effect for the specific airports in March, one of the interviews indicated that a doctored device could potentially cause catastrophic damage if it is near the airframe (i.e.: with someone sitting next to a window).

I'm wondering if a "safety cage" could be built where ALL personal electronics could be stowed on boarding and checked in and out by crew.

I can't imagine this ever taking effect, right now it is "being considered". Now you might have to demonstrate to TSA that your device will turn on and your camera will take a picture as if it does that there's no room for explosives. Of course this would create havoc at screening.

Another thought, make a Global Entry holders exempt from this nonsense.

And bye the bye, an iPhone 7 camera can't hold a candle to a real camera, I have both.

What difference does it make if a bomb is in your lap top in the cabin or in the luggage department? At least if it's in your carry on, it's checked, it's not if it goes with your checked luggage. I some times wonder about those people who make some of these decisions. This is one of those things that does not make me fell any safer.

Allan

What difference does it make if a bomb is in your lap top in the cabin or in the luggage department? At least if it's in your carry on, it's checked, it's not if it goes with your checked luggage. I some times wonder about those people who make some of these decisions. This is one of those things that does not make me fell any safer.

Allan

The difference is that in the hold of most transatlantic (or transpacific) type flights, the bags are stacked in those baggage containers, and the baggage container is put inside the plane. Thus a small explosive device is not near the outer skin of the aircraft. Additionally, those bag containers have been reinforced to contain explosions. An explosion of a small explosive device in that situation will most likely not puncture the other skin of the aircraft.

A small explosive near the outer skin of the aircraft is another topic. Think the "shoe bomber". He placed his feet against the side of the aircraft as he attempted to set off his small explosive cache. That is a far more dangerous situation than a small explosive device buried in a bag, in the baggage compartment.

I travel internationally for work. Not being able to work on a flight would be a huge but my biggest concern is absolutely the idea of having to check my laptop! The idea of breakage, theft or lost luggage would leave me a basket case!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Makes sense.

I am at a loss as to why something like this would be imposed on say, Istanbul departures when the reality is that someone in Istanbul could simply travel overland to another airport, and board with the device.

The difference is that in the hold of most transatlantic (or transpacific) type flights, the bags are stacked in those baggage containers, and the baggage container is put inside the plane. Thus a small explosive device is not near the outer skin of the aircraft. Additionally, those bag containers have been reinforced to contain explosions. An explosion of a small explosive device in that situation will most likely not puncture the other skin of the aircraft.

A small explosive near the outer skin of the aircraft is another topic. Think the "shoe bomber". He placed his feet against the side of the aircraft as he attempted to set off his small explosive cache. That is a far more dangerous situation than a small explosive device buried in a bag, in the baggage compartment.

Thanks for that -- it at least partially answers my question. :)

Wonderful, so for people who fly that need to do work what do they do? And getting to their destination still can't work. I guess people need to speak with their wallets to get the message across. I don't own a cell phone, I have an older ipad I use for a few issues and one is just reading. This is so sad. And united has made some really bad choices on how they treat customers. And I have not flown in years. So they do not get my money.

I travel internationally for work. Not being able to work on a flight would be a huge but my biggest concern is absolutely the idea of having to check my laptop! The idea of breakage, theft or lost luggage would leave me a basket case!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I so agree, Checking it in the luggage, is the airline going to take responsibility if something goes wrong? They want to ban it , so I say they need to be responsible. I would expect to hear about a lot of issues with stuff missing. So sad for you guys. Anything bigger than the cellphone, is upsetting. I only have an ipad , cell phone. So I could not even read. I haven't flown in years, I hate flying.

I worry not only abut theft, but damage to electronics packed in checked luggage. You've all seen how gentle (tongue firmly planted into cheek) they are with our luggage - throwing them, stacking 8 deep on carts, having some fall off on the tarmac, being left in the rain, etc. I always travel with my 13" netbook to back up my photos and to keep a travel journal; there's no way I'm taking the chance of putting it into my checked luggage. I'll just have to leave it at home and bring along more memory cards. Argh!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

If you've ever watched airport scenes from movies made as recently as twenty years ago, you will notice the passengers are looking at bulky items that appear to be made of paper, with separate leaves which they use their fingers to pry apart. Can anyone tell me what they are doing? Could we be forced to return to such barbaric implements?;p

That's generally what I use for entertainment on a plane.

P.s. I'll give a hint for those not familiar with such an object. I worked with them daily in my career as a librarian.

Have to admit I'm in Norway now for an embarkation tomorrow and would be really unhappy not to carry on my iPad!

You won't be any safer. It's just theater, as someone said above. TSA has been mainly smoke and mirrors from the get-go.

I agree. To back this up, recent TSA testing of their "security" shows that 95% of all illegal items used in the tests are NOT detected!

RocketMan lives in Alabama. About 14 hours to FLL.

\

Oohh, Sooo, you were thinking only of your self. :D I have the luxury of living not far from the port in Boston. I do LOVE when I sail from Boston and don't have to fly.

Just more reasons to drive to the port.

Drive from Europe to FLL ? :)

Reminds me of the Sonic Drive-In commercial where the TJ character thinks Florida is another planet. :D

Please don't take offense RocketMan..... the parallel just struck me as a little humorous. ;)