Are there any cruises with paid only food?

I'd like to go on a cruise but don't want to subsidize the gluttony of others. I don't need gourmet selection. I want to go for the ambiance, the water, the vistas, not the food. I want to just be laid back, don't need millions of activities. Surely there must be others that want peace on a low priced cruise.

You could crisscross the Baltic Sea with ferries. The Caribbean islands have ferries as well.

You could take one of the local boats on the Amazon, bring your own hammock, drink and food. Brush up on your Portuguese language skills.

Hurtigruten runs postal ships up and down the Norwegian coast. Food is included but nothing else unless you book a special voyage.

The food is certainly part of the overall cruise price. But in the scheme of things, it's only a small fraction of the price. The price covers wages for 1,000 + in service (engineers, Captain, Cruise Director, wait staff, stewards, laundry personnel, etc.). Also, fuel, maintenance, fees in ports and other countries. It covers continuing education and safety training to keep ALL passengers safe in case of an emergency. The list goes on and on. So don't fret about your paying for 'gluttons' and book a cruise and enjoy the views, the food, the PEOPLE (SO many fun and interesting people to meet and talk to!), get a massage and relax! Don't worry, Mon. Be Happy! : ? )

Consider the Alaska Marine Highway System "cruise ferries" in Alaska. Meals and cabins are sold separately. One route starts in Bellingham, WA and does the inside passage up to Skagway (with many stops in between).

Consider the Alaska Marine Highway System "cruise ferries" in Alaska. Meals and cabins are sold separately. One route starts in Bellingham, WA and does the inside passage up to Skagway (with many stops in between).

+1. I have done "cruises" on the Ak Marine Highway. They are great and they get you into towns that the cruise ships never visit.

You can even save money by setting up a tent on the deck and sleeping outside. You get to meet some great people on the Marine Highway..

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I'd like to go on a cruise but don't want to subsidize the gluttony of others. I don't need gourmet selection. I want to go for the ambiance, the water, the vistas, not the food. I want to just be laid back, don't need millions of activities. Surely there must be others that want peace on a low priced cruise.

So, why do you think that people on a cruise are gluttons? Such a poor attitude to take prior to your first cruise! :rolleyes:

For being a new member posting the first time with such a negative opinion of the cruising public, I have to think that cruising is not for you. :(

So, here is my simple message to the OP. You do not want a cruise! Period. End of story. You want to be on a boat or ship...but not a cruise ship. What you are seeking does not currently exist, other than the European ferries (already mentioned).....which are not going to give you a lot of ambiance.

Your comments on food are interesting. What makes you think that mass market cruise lines have mostly gourmet food. I would love if that were the case, but its not. At breakfast folks are eating eggs, cereal, oat meal, etc. or perhaps just a piece of toast. Sure, on many ships you can eggs benedict, but most are just having their scrambled eggs (made from eggs that come out of a carton...not fresh eggs) and bacon. At lunch, some of us might be having a hot dog or perhaps a piece of chicken. We cruise a lot, and the only place we find anything close to "gourmet" on mass market cruise lines are in a few of the alternative restaurants (for which you would have to pay an extra fee). Consider the "gourmet" desserts you might find on most cruises including such "gourmet" items as a bowl of ice cream, chocolate mousse (essentially chocolate pudding), apple pie, etc.

Hank

A cruise, even with meals included, is going to be just barely more expensive per night than a stay at any old hotel where you just get a room and breakfast. Think of all the things you are getting for the price and you will realize that it's still a good value even without food taken into account. And it's not like you, you know...aren't going to eat anything for a week, so you'll get the value of the included food as well.

Hope that helps! Sorry you feel like you're so superior to everyone else. I'll try not to be a "glutton" in your presence so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities.

I'm confused. :confused: You're concerned about others' eating habits, but you want a low priced cruise. If you're not willing to pay for a premium or luxury experience, why do you care about how other people eat?

You might check out NCL... generally less expensive, food is included in the MDR/buffet, just like other lines but the quality is a lot less, like home comfort food. On our last cruise on NCL, my dh and I simply went to the buffet each day and made a salad and sandwich late afternoon... skipped the MDR. We decided the price difference on the cruise fare... was reflected in the mdr and buffet offerrings.. NCL has a number of special restaurants on board but food and service in the MDR/buffet did not motivate us to try them. We do not cruise for food either.

Hi there

First of all...welcome to cruise critic.

To your point, cruising is a fairly inexpensive vacation option. I don't know what you would like to compare it to, but if you research properly you can find cruises that give you accommodations, entertainment, food/drink, and transportation for a nightly cost that would be less than the price of a budget hotel.

hope this helps

You might consider a "cruise" on a freighter - a container ship. The passengers usually number no more than a dozen and the food, while hearty and of the stick-to-your-ribs variety (as its primary purpose is to nourish a hardworking crew of sailors) doesn't really lend itself to gluttony. The water and vistas are the same ones you might experience on any mass-market cruise line going to the same ports.

My friend who is a bit of a bohemian minimalist enjoyed his freighter voyage greatly and a mass-market cruise with its glitz and pomp would never appeal to him.

https://www.freightercruises.com/index.php

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recent land tours, had breakfast included in hotels. Wow should have seen what some people took from buffet, then extras presumably for lunch during the day.

Gluttons on cruise ships? They are everywhere if you care to notice. 99% of people on cruise ships, in hotels just eat what they need and enjoy.

You say you want a low cost cruise but it sounds like you'll be traveling alone? If so, you need to know that the vast majority of cruise cabins are 'double occupancy' which means that if you want one for just one person, you'll pay somewhere between 150% and 200% of the 'per person' price you see quoted. There are some lines with single cabins - a travel agent can probably point you in the right direction.

Yes, there are 'gluttons' on cruise ships, just like everywhere else. They are, however, a small percentage of the total passengers - rare enough that people may notice and sometimes comment on them. The vast majority of passengers eat reasonably normal meals, though they may indulge a little bit more than they do at home. In all our cruises, with probably 850 meals onboard, I've probably noticed a person with an overloaded plate 3 or 4 times. What and how much they eat is really not my concern.

OP, Thank you for posting your question. Good first post. If I hadn't opened this thread I may have never known about the Marine Highway up to Alaska. That sounds like fun!:D

As for "the gluttony of others" I know what you mean. On an early cruise, on a cruiseline whose name begins with C and ends with val, I was amazed at some on the gluttony on display in the buffet. People with literally mounds on food on their trays. Other cruisers who, it seemed, never left the buffet! :eek:

But to your concern, the food cost is just a small part of your total fare so even if others eat more than you it doesn't cost you much. And besides you might drink more than others with the dinks package, or you might 'hog' the exercise machines more than others. It usually balances out in the end.

As for "the gluttony of others" I know what you mean. On an early cruise, on a cruiseline whose name begins with C and ends with val, I was amazed at some on the gluttony on display in the buffet. People with literally mounds on food on their trays. Other cruisers who, it seemed, never left the buffet! :eek:

And I'm sure there are an equal number of people who eat sparingly on a cruise but, of course, they are never noticed. :rolleyes:

Wondering:

I'll join others in suggesting you may tolerate Norwegian Cruise Line more than other lines. If you are travelling alone, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Bliss, Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Getaway, Norwegian Epic, and Pride of America have Studio (i.e. solo) staterooms. You may want to avoid the reserved Studio Lounge, though, as there are complimentary coffee, espresso, and snacks throughout the day. Two people cannot book a Studio (even though the bed is a double or full size).

Most of those ships are larger ones, with quite a few activities, but if you never go on the upper decks, you can probably ignore most of them.

The food on NCL (in my experience) does not encourage gluttony, although I did have a very nice mushroom soup in the MDR one night.

Talking of gluttony reminded me of our first (land) holiday in Florida. We went to Ponderosa (!) for their 'eat all you can' breakfast and omg, some really took it seriously. DH was literally put off his breakfast because directly in his eye line was the largest man we'd ever seen. He couldn't get into the booth and needed to sit on two chairs. That was bad enough, but he was eating off TWO plates at a time - one of which was piled high with hard boiled eggs. Nothing else, but just hard boiled eggs. And guess what, he was eating them whole at a time; simply opening his mouth and putting in a whole egg!!

Now that's what I call gluttony.

And I'm sure there are an equal number of people who eat sparingly on a cruise but, of course, they are never noticed. :rolleyes:

Of course those who eatsparingly are not noticed because it' tough to see what's on their plates,there is so little of it. Lots of people eat normally are not noticed also. Itlike driving on the highway and it is full of small cars these days. Thosesmall cars just don't stand out anymore. It's was hard to miss the semi-trailertruck sized plates these folks had! :D

I agree with the posts that suggest a freighter. Reports are that they are a great, modest, lean way to travel. I agree, also, with a few other posters that cruising is not for you. Can I add on a personal note that I will be cruising to Nova Scotia this fall, Australia next winter and the Baltics in the summer. I am sooooo looking forward to meeting new folks, enjoying my room service breakfast, and the creations the hard working chefs and cooks plan and prepare for us. I find the portions in the dining rooms quite adequate for a healthy diet.

But I am curious to know which of the following do you find objectionable: laute, studiose, nimis, ardenter, praeprotere, or perhaps all? I recommend to you the writings of St. Augustus Liguoria on the subject. Most informative.

Good luck in your search for a sea experience that you find 100% to your liking. I am sure it will be on the line that provides unicorns in your stateroom for an up charge. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want a low priced cruise, it's going to be filled with lots of people squeezed into too little space. That's the only way they can make it low priced. Not including food wouldn't drop the price very much. Trust me, the price that the mainline cruises spend on the food per passenger is surprisingly small.....I think it's about $13-$14 per day per person.

If you want peace, vistas and ambience, try a luxury ship. If you want peace, vistas, and good basic food, also consider a freighter cruise (though the ambience may not be what you're looking for).