After cruise illness

ve3ell

Just wondered if anyone got a flu like illness after sailing on the Feb 10 2018 schedule. I got a bad cough and was choking up mucus the day after the cruise on Feb 18th. I went to the hospital on arrival home on the Monday Feb 19 and was told to stay home for the week. This is the first time I ever caught something on a ship. Is there anyone else that got sick also.

Just wondered if anyone got a flu like illness after sailing on the Feb 10 2018 schedule. I got a bad cough and was choking up mucus the day after the cruise on Feb 18th. I went to the hospital on arrival home on the Monday Feb 19 and was told to stay home for the week. This is the first time I ever caught something on a ship. Is there anyone else that got sick also.

When a lot of people are on a confined area for a long period of time people get sick. Sit back at the buffet one day and watch people, they rub their nose, touch their hair etc and then grab utensils. This is how people get sick.

Sounds like you caught a cold. Bot sure what you are looking for from this post? People catch colds all the time

It happens, it has been a few weeks since you got home, if it had been wide spread there would have been coverage of it somewhere, I am sure. You could have picked up a germ from the ship, from a tour, from the airplane if you flew. Heaven's in Jan and Feb period there are germs everywhere. I am sorry you got sick, hope you are better now. We had a cold like something early in Nov. It wasn't fun. I wonder where I got it, but never thought to ask.

Yes, during a 12 day cruise a few years ago. I came down with a severe cold, which developed into Bronchitis. I attributed it to going from hot climates, into cold air conditioning on the ship, but it could have been from anything.

I hope that the OP is recovered now.

It is more likely that you caught the bug on your flight than on the ship. Of course upper respiratory illnesses have been rampart this season and it is really impossible to determine where you got infected.

Hope you are feeling better.

I have not & I have been on ships that have had illnesses. I do not eat at the buffet except for boxed cereal as a snack. Unfortunately there are many people that board the ship sick, do not wash their hands in the bathroom and spread their germs all over the ship.

Feel better,

With a lot of them, especially with what OP described, simply breathing around the ill person can infect you. It has nothing to do with the buffet, or hand washing, which is usually related to intestinal illnesses. Hand washing does help prevent the spread of some upper respiratory viruses, and should be encouraged, but it is not a sure fire preventative.

What ship were you on?

What ship were you on?
I was on the Epic. Week 2 of this cough and it finally is going away. It has been a bad year for this strain of the flu. I even got a flu shot which doesn't always give you 100% protection. Overall the cruise was great especially the steak at Cagney's. I look forward to my next cruise in October on the Bliss.

I was on the Epic. Week 2 of this cough and it finally is going away. It has been a bad year for this strain of the flu. I even got a flu shot which doesn't always give you 100% protection. Overall the cruise was great especially the steak at Cagney's. I look forward to my next cruise in October on the Bliss.

We were on that cruise too and it sounds like my wife has the same thing. She has been coughing incessantly for over two weeks. She woke up on the final morning with a sore throat and then started coughing shortly thereafter. She has a doctors appointment on Monday. She appeared to get the same cough at the end of our last cruise in November, also on the Epic. Maybe us Canadians are not able to tolerate warm weather in the winter, lol.

I was on a Celebrity 2-10 sailing out of Singapore. People came on the ship coughing and the numbers increased each day. We consider ourselves very fortunate not to have gotten it this time, but have a couple of times on both NCL and Celebrity.

The escape? Yea a lot in my group got sick. Some said they got the flu, my Dr tested me and I didn't have the flu. I'd say at least 15 of our group of 100 had some level of crud after the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did the hospital diagnose you with the flu or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a lot of people are on a confined area for a long period of time people get sick. Sit back at the buffet one day and watch people, they rub their nose, touch their hair etc and then grab utensils. This is how people get sick.

Sounds like you caught a cold. Bot sure what you are looking for from this post? People catch colds all the time

This is one reason why I go wash my hands after getting food if we go to the buffet. I would rather my food get cold, not me.

The flu is everywhere right now. I got the flu shot and work in a microbiology lab. It wasn't until last week, after snowmobiling and skiing in NH, that my body was wiped out by the flu. I have been home sick all week.

This is one reason why I go wash my hands after getting food if we go to the buffet. I would rather my food get cold, not me.

Absolutely essential. But, I also NEVER eat anything with my hands. Never. Yep, I've become a master at eating rolls, sandwiches etc with a knife and fork. People don't even know how much they are contaminating themselves. Watch the buffet line, multiple people can't keep their fingers out of their mouth , eating in the line, then swapping spit on all the service utensils. Add to the disgusting mix, those who bring up their dirty plates, and get more food.

I've gotten, where I get to the buffet when it opens, and watch for new trays to be put out. I eat there a lot less than I used to.

Another weak spot is the dirty silverware, cups and glasses. I place dirty cups off the side, and never fails, someone comes up grabs it and fills it. :( Take a closer look, sometimes, I'm discarding several.

We were on an eleven night cruise the end of January. By the end of the cruise many people had the flu and were being quarantined. Even with all my precautions I got sick when I got home. A month later and I still have a cough. Just happy I didn't get sick during the cruise.

Absolutely essential. But, I also NEVER eat anything with my hands. Never. Yep, I've become a master at eating rolls, sandwiches etc with a knife and fork.

Reminds me of George on Seinfeld eating a candy bar with a knife and fork. "How do you eat it, with your hands?"

You should never accept an invitation to a Boodle Fight in the Philippines. Everyone washes their hands and then piles of food are placed on banana leaves which cover the entire table and everyone eats with their hands, no silverware or chopsticks allowed. Usually a pile of rice is placed in front of eat person, but after that it is family style.

The last 2 cruises I was on, I developed (mid cruise) very bad upper respiratory illness. Both lasted long after I got home. On both cruises I heard people coughing....before I started the symptoms . Even with constant hand washing..the germs were in the air. Guess I could not escape it!