How do you solve the problem of Sun Bed hoarders ?

jody75

Random thoughts./ramblings of a (too?) frequent cruiser .....

I've been away from Celebrity for a number of years (but am returning!) and the worst we ever witnessed was on Equinox in 2011 on Solstice deck at about 7:30 in the morning. We are early risers and had finished breakfast and were shocked to see  someone walking with this arms fully extended downwards holding about 25+ towels that were held in place by his chin systematically placing them on chairs as he walked! We probably spent too many seconds staring at this insane spectacle when we realized that he had taken the last remaining loungers on the deck!

I was furious and headed down to guest relations where my complaint was systematically filed in their circular receptacle and went back upstairs where I found a deck officer. I told him I needed someone to clear the towels off of the chairs. We went back upstairs where a couple who had been having breakfast on the loungers was leaving and we took their chairs. The deck officer appeared a few moments later and said: "OK, I guess everything is fine now". I said, actually, it wasn't and I needed ALL of the loungers cleared on Solstice deck. He thought I was joking and very quickly realized (and I must state that I NEVER raise my voice!) that I wasn't  and had a (poor) Pool Butler clear the deck! 

I later recounted this story to one of the senior officers who frankly told me it was easier to deal with an angry but rational person like myself than a crazed psycho ranting over how their towels had been removed ....

In all of my cruises, the best solution we have ever seen was on Oceania where the pool attendants constantly circulated and left timed cards saying that as of (insert-time-here) your towel was unattended and would be removed in 30 minutes.

And in 30 minutes ... they did! Broadway has less dramatic performances than those of the people we witnessed keening, wailing and bemoaning the Fates at how their lives had been forever changed by the removal of their belongings.

It took about a day and a half for people to realize that the rules applied to EVERYONE .... after that, most people learned to remove their stuff and  move on! 

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I've been away from Celebrity for a number of years (but am returning!) and the worst we ever witnessed was on Equinox in 2011 on Solstice deck at about 7:30 in the morning. We are early risers and had finished breakfast and were shocked to see 1) someone walking with this arms fully extended downwards holding about 25+ towels that were held in place by his chin systematically placing them on chairs as he walked! We probably spent too many seconds staring at this insane spectacle when we realized that he had taken the last remaining loungers on the deck!

I was furious and headed down to guest relations where my complaint was systematically filed in their circular receptacle and went back upstairs where I found a deck officer. I told him I needed someone to clear the towels off of the chairs. We went back upstairs where a couple who had been having breakfast on the loungers was leaving and we took their chairs. The deck officer appeared a few moments later and said: "OK, I guess everything is fine now". I said, actually, it wasn't and I needed ALL of the loungers cleared on Solstice deck. He thought I was joking and very quickly realized (and I must state that I NEVER raise my voice!) that I wasn't  and had a (poor) Pool Butler clear the deck! 

I later recounted this story to one of the senior officers who frankly told me it was easier to deal with an angry but rational person like myself than a crazed psycho ranting over how their towels had been removed ....

In all of my cruises, the best solution we have ever seen was on Oceania where the pool attendants constantly circulated and left timed cards saying that as of (insert-time-here) your towel was unattended and would be removed in 30 minutes.

And in 30 minutes ... they did! Broadway has less dramatic performances than those of the people we witnessed keening, wailing and bemoaning the Fates at how their lives had been forever changed by the removal of their belongings.

It took about a day and a half for people to realize that the rules applied to EVERYONE .... after that, most people learned to remove their stuff and  move on! 

I can not like your post enough. Gd bless!! 

We sailed on Silhouette in December of 2018 and it was the first time in all of our cruises that we regularly saw pool butlers placing 30 minute warning notes on unoccupied loungers and then removing items that were left longer. After a few days of this the problem abated and we saw fewer and fewer notes and chair hogs as the cruise went on. It really was simple once they decided to deal with it and it was also possible to come to the pool at 11 or so an still find two chairs.

• Like 2

Back in the old days (I don't sun bathe anymore), I would eyeball an unused lounge for about 45 minutes to an hour or ask a person sitting next to the chair how long it had been empty and then take it after placing their items on a nearby table or chair.  If the "owner" came back demanding his chair,  I would say  "Gee, the person who was sitting here  told me they were done  and I could have it" and then go back to  my book.  I would also pretend sometimes I didn't speak English but that wouldn't work if I was reading an English language book (lol).  There were times I was tempted to tear the last few pages out of a paperback left to hold a chair though when I would see it unused for a very long time.  You are right about the pool butlers not doing anything for fear of being reprimanded because they were "rude" to a passenger.  

3 hours ago, sft429 said:

Do you think anyone would actually have to pay?  They'd just go down to customer service and complain and get the charge removed.

Would Celebrity's passengers even agree to a policy of needing to sign out  pool towels in the first place?  ("That's modern luxury." 😉)

Celebrity used to advertise that they treat all their guests as celebrities.

Just think, if they were ever to start requiring passengers to sign out towels, they could have a catchy new slogan:

We treat all our guests as potential thieves.

Besides, I don't see how that would make any difference in chair hogging as no towel is required to hog a chair.

The chair hogs would just continue to leave behind shoes, books, magazines, hats, sunglasses; almost anything at all.

Pool attendants could easily remove any used towels that may be left behind on chairs,  just as they do at hotels, health clubs, the Y and neighborhood pools.

3 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I've been away from Celebrity for a number of years (but am returning!) and the worst we ever witnessed was on Equinox in 2011 on Solstice deck at about 7:30 in the morning. We are early risers and had finished breakfast and were shocked to see  someone walking with this arms fully extended downwards holding about 25+ towels that were held in place by his chin systematically placing them on chairs as he walked! We probably spent too many seconds staring at this insane spectacle when we realized that he had taken the last remaining loungers on the deck!

Upon reading this, at first I thought you were talking about the folded towels that are sometimes placed on all the pool lounge chairs early in the morning by the ship's own employees.

The first time we saw towels placed on all the chairs that way, we  were wondering why some chair hog would try to reserve every chair on the entire deck,  until we learned that they were put out there each morning by the crew for the passengers to use. 

Since then I have noticed it done on some cruises but not others, so I have no idea whether it is company policy, or if it varies by ship or by location or season, or even by which staff members happen to be on duty at the time.

Edited by fleckle

18 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

What did you pay for the reserving of 2 loungers for the entire cruise?  I am assuming it was a 7 day cruise.

It was   7-day cruise and the cost was $265 per person; and even though some may say that's too expensive; IMHO it was well worth the cost.  when we went past the Retreat Pool, (outside of the Sanctuary), the loungers were completely taken and absolutely no room in between and the same situation by the main pool.  We like a little "elbow room" between loungers; and how can you beat it when someone comes by with a cold towel, asking if you want a cold glass of water, or, in the afternoon, coffee/tea/pastry?  Great service, way to go Princess!

3 hours ago, Pickels said:

It was   7-day cruise and the cost was $265 per person; and even though some may say that's too expensive; IMHO it was well worth the cost.  when we went past the Retreat Pool, (outside of the Sanctuary), the loungers were completely taken and absolutely no room in between and the same situation by the main pool.  We like a little "elbow room" between loungers; and how can you beat it when someone comes by with a cold towel, asking if you want a cold glass of water, or, in the afternoon, coffee/tea/pastry?  Great service, way to go Princess!

Did you ask how they came to $265?

It's supposed to be $30/day/pp when you book the whole cruise and 30 x 7 = 210.

And 265  doesn't divide by 7 at all ???????

Edited by chamima

36 minutes ago, chamima said:

Tax

24 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Tax

1 hour ago, chamima said:

24 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Tax

We've booked the Sanctuary many, many times and never paid tax.

Just what kind of "tax" do you pay for a service on a ship that's in International waters?

If it happens again I think a trip to Guest Services is warranted.

And $55 on $210 is something like 25%. 😱

Edited by chamima

6 hours ago, chamima said:

My apologies; I should have checked my account statement and not trust to my memory; the total charge for the 7-day cruise was $420 total which comes out to $30. per person per day.  And Like I said, it was worth every penny!!

On 4/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, Luvcrusn said:

We sailed on Silhouette in December of 2018 and it was the first time in all of our cruises that we regularly saw pool butlers placing 30 minute warning notes on unoccupied loungers and then removing items that were left longer. After a few days of this the problem abated and we saw fewer and fewer notes and chair hogs as the cruise went on. It really was simple once they decided to deal with it and it was also possible to come to the pool at 11 or so an still find two chairs.

They were not doing this on the Silhouette in January 2019, I wonder why they stopped doing it.  

24 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

They were not doing this on the Silhouette in January 2019, I wonder why they stopped doing it.  

Good question!  I thought they were really on top of things because the pool attendants were very diligent about the warning cards from day 1.Perhaps a change in staff? I even commented favorably about it on my post cruise survey as did the other people traveling with us.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, Luvcrusn said:

Really like this tactic and wish that they would stick with it and implement it fleet wide (if not already done). They could reinforce it with a note in the daily. This would take some pressure off the pool butlers. 

On 3/24/2018 at 10:28 PM, sippican said:

So, you can't drop your stuff and go in the pool or off to garb a bite to eat?

Pool: yes of course. "Grab a bite to eat", perhaps no. That is likely to take longer than half an hour.  Unless you bring that bite back to your Sun lounge

Apart from on the Reflection we have always managed to find a sunbed somewhere for the short time we are on deck in the sun...We are not fussy about position, we don’t stay there long. If the sun is on our cabin side we will often swim, quickly towel off and return to our room on busy sea days.

However, when travelling temporarily on crutches and/or using a wheelchair I  experienced the best and worst of fellow guests on deck.  

There were wonderful fellow cruisers who would juggle beds and chairs so my wheelchair could be pushed out of the way, fellow guests who offered to change seats so I was ‘end of row’ making getting on and off the bed so much easier. One day when I was on my own for a short while poolside a couple opposite asked if they could get anything and ‘just to shout if I needed any help...’ 

Then at the sunset bar when I was on crutches a lady who tutted at me when I asked if I could please use the chair her handbag was on...She didn’t remove her handbag until she had looked around the full deck to ensure there really wasn’t another chair available....

Edited by chemmo

10 hours ago, bkbarrym said:

Really like this tactic and wish that they would stick with it and implement it fleet wide (if not already done). They could reinforce it with a note in the daily. This would take some pressure off the pool butlers. 

As I recall Celebrity always includes a note in the Daily.

I admit this may sound extreme but we have done this on several local cruises out of Texas where we live.  We both have Tommy Bahama folding beach loungers that we take on the ship.  We just carry them on with our carry on luggage.  They have never been denied or taken from us at Galveston.  Then we take them along to the pool and put them any d--g place we feel like it.  Problem solved.  Of course we can't take them out of another port when flying.  I used to just take my role up towel with pillow before we bought the chairs.  At least I could put them really close to the pool or in the shade and had my own place to put my things.

On 4/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, kenevenpar said:

How about the folks that save a chair in the sun, and another in the shade?

I only sit in the shade and I can't tell you how many times I can't find a lounger in the shade and then ask if lounger, with junk on them, are being used and surrounding folks say, it is those people in the sun or the chair hogs come running over when they see someone eying their loungers.

The Reflection was the worst, there were no loungers available when I was going to leave.  I can't believe how many folks were standing around me to take my lounger.  Earlier I spotted two young ladies trying to find loungers, they got one and were sharing it.  Before I took my things off the lounger, I went over and ask them if they needed another lounger, they were so pleased they offered to buy me a drink.

The funniest chair hogging I saw was on another cruise line.  I was walking up to have breakfast and there were these folks putting towels and things on their chairs...what makes it funny, well it was pouring down rain, which it did all day.

Edited by NLH Arizona

On 4/5/2019 at 2:52 PM, Pickels said:

My apologies; I should have checked my account statement and not trust to my memory; the total charge for the 7-day cruise was $420 total which comes out to $30. per person per day.  And Like I said, it was worth every penny!!

I’m sorry. Is this the definition of more money then brains?  Never had an issue finding a chair in the sun. We don’t look around the pool and like the top deck. We have access to 4 pools and a beach with our homes, so maybe not so important to us, but still never a problem 

We never had this problem on Oceania and Azamara, and you also would never see similar topics on Oceania and Azamara boards. Same for buffet tables and theater seats.

For those wondering what you get on Oceania and Azamara for a very small extra cost, and sometimes same price when you account for all inclusions.

23 hours ago, chemmo said:

Apart from on the Reflection we have always managed to find a sunbed somewhere for the short time we are on deck in the sun...

As you are aware, I would totally agree with this comment. IMHO, Reflection is the worse ship in the fleet for overcrowding and finding vacant sunbeds. In our experience, sailing in peak season, every inch of the lawn is taken up with bodies, never mind every sun lounger. I prefer to sit on our balcony (hence not interested in the IVs), but our travelling companions were unsuccessful finding a free bed anywhere on the ship during the Med cruise.

Edited by villauk

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We never had this problem on Oceania and Azamara, and you also would never see similar topics on Oceania and Azamara boards. Same for buffet tables and theater seats.

For those wondering what you get on Oceania and Azamara for a very small extra cost, and sometimes same price when you account for all inclusions.

I just wish I could get close on pricing whenever I check. Even adding in all the extras I can never get close to Celebrity pricing and it’s usually close to double.

• Thanks 1