Should Celebrity have a Royal Promenade?

I was one Oasis class towards the end of 2016 and kind of had mixed feelings overall. I liked the fancy Royal Promenade and don't know if Celebrity has anything like that - but I don't see anything like the promenade cabins and inside balconies that overlooked the park. I enjoy looking out at the ocean as much as the rest of you - but at night it's all dark and nothing to see. In the promenade cabin there was always a view and see what folks were up to. I imagine what that would look like on Celebrity with everything a bit more upscale.

We have been on the Allure and the Independence, both have Royal Proms. We were not impressed with either ship. They seemed over crowded and having a few more restaurants and bars was not a big deal. I have found the shopping more appealing on both classes of Celebrity ships.

Hated the mall aspect of Oasis ...but it was fun on Navigator of the Seas!

Central Park was OK but not fun when it rained!

Why dream about re making X into something it's not!

Already too many ideas have been copied from other cruise lines...not all of them good.

Let Royal C be Royal C , and let Celebrity keep its own special identity.

I want to relax on a balcony at night looking at the stars, hearing the waves, smelling the fresh sea air and seeing the lights of the other ships. I don’t want to overlook a shopping mall and don’t care to watch what others are doing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

What is the purpose of your question? The ship’s don’t have them, won’t have them. So why bother asking?

So we have the option of watching an area of the ship at night. It could be the lawn garden or somewhere else totally different and innovative. Give us a view of the atrium or the dining room, or even the kitchen might be interesting. They could shape it into an X and use a one-way glass. There's probably classy ways to do it that I'm not even thinking of.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

I think you knew the answer to the question before you asked. So I'm not sure why you bothered asking, unless it was just for attention.

Surely you've seen the deck plans and photos of X's existing ships. Did you see a Royal Promenade anywhere? Artist renderings for the new Edge class ships have been out for a while now. Did you see a Royal Promenade anywhere? The renovations for the new Revolution program were detailed a little while ago. Did you see a Royal Promenade mentioned anywhere?

If you love the Royal Promenade so much, then it looks like you'll have to stick with RCI. In my experience one is more likely to be happier staying with what you like than wishing other places would change just to please you.

I think you knew the answer to the question before you asked. So I'm not sure why you bothered asking, unless it was just for attention.

Surely you've seen the deck plans and photos of X's existing ships. Did you see a Royal Promenade anywhere? Artist renderings for the new Edge class ships have been out for a while now. Did you see a Royal Promenade anywhere? The renovations for the new Revolution program were detailed a little while ago. Did you see a Royal Promenade mentioned anywhere?

If you love the Royal Promenade so much, then it looks like you'll have to stick with RCI. In my experience one is more likely to be happier staying with what you like than wishing other places would change just to please you.

I've eyeballed pictures of the Summit and Equinox but not the newer ships. Even if there's not a Promenade there's still shops and restaurants and other common areas like the atrium that could offer a room with some kind of view.

The truth is I would be fine sticking to the fun ships but Cindy's grandparents were well off and turned her into a foodie when she was younger. I'm trying to find a happy medium that we both will like. Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity so I don't see how an upgrade option on one can't be done differently on the other. Like other folks have said - if I'm going to spend the extra money I want to see everything upscale. I wouldn't ask the Crystal folks about a promenade cabin because they sweeten the pot in other ways.

When I think about the hours I've spent on my balcony at night, looking at the stars, enjoying a glass of wine, marveling at the difference between the views in different parts of the world, watching for passing ships when you're in the middle of the Atlantic on a TA... it amazes me that someone could think there's nothing there to see.

Of course, the fact that the OP has never actually been on a cruise just might have something to do with it lol ;)

Edited by cruise kitty

To answer your question, IMHO No️. If I wanted a Promenade with a shopping court and food mall I would still be cruising on Royal. The brands are different and offer different experiences and appeal to different demographics.

We hated the one on the IOS and can't imagine having the one on the huge ships with cabins looking on. Obviously, lots of people like them, but thankfully, I can't see Celebrity copying RCI.

To answer your question, IMHO No️. If I wanted a Promenade with a shopping court and food mall I would still be cruising on Royal. The brands are different and offer different experiences and appeal to different demographics.

I will take this even a step further and admit that if I wanted to have a Promenade view with a shopping court and food mall, I would go to a shopping mall, not on a cruise.

Similarly, if I want to spend time at an amusement park, I would rather go to one of the Disney parks or Six Flags, not on a cruise ship that is attempting to imitate an amusement park.

One time on one of those monster ships was more than enough for me.

Even when we cruise on Royal, we greatly prefer their attractive Radiance class ships and avoid the huge behemoths.

Fortunately, Celebrity does not try to be all things to all people and has for the most part, (at least so far) managed to resist adding the gimmicks of some other cruise lines that most Celebrity passengers don't want.

What is the purpose of your question? The ship’s don’t have them, won’t have them. So why bother asking?

Another attempt to get attention from others. Check out his previous threads....

“Since we're only paying $500 for a balcony I'm sure we can swing that. Get the full experience and range of this line before we get to take a break in St. Thomas and head straight for the Golden Arches, haha. “

“We're not foodies and go to the buffet anyways, but still not good news to hear.”

“I've never had a scallop and curry smells gross, so maybe this food is just too fancy for us. I'm more of a meat and potatoes person with too many years of greasy spoon diners under my belt as a former truck driver. Tell me that there's a Waffle House on board and we'd be talking.”

“We like Applebees, I won't lie. We've been eating healthier at home with beans soups and salads, and lots of PB&J sandwiches with honey. We just like tasty food when we go out and enjoy ourselves to the fullest. I'm not against trying some new dishes as long as it's not weird, but we like our comfort food options too.”

“This is my section right here, but where's the chicken tenders and union rings?”

“I don't do the fancy critters but I'm sure they have a children's menu. I'm like a big kid anyways but don't think I won't enjoy a gourmet burger with Kobe or Wagyu meat on a high end bun.”

“I love me some steak sandwiches too. Ham & Cheese melts, Pastrami, Ribs, Corn on the Cob, Chili, Tritip, Philly Cheese Steak, Taters, Pizza, spicy chicken.”

Yeah...definitely foodies....

I want to relax on a balcony at night looking at the stars, hearing the waves, smelling the fresh sea air and seeing the lights of the other ships. I don’t want to overlook a shopping mall and don’t care to watch what others are doing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Like....

Beauty of cruising is not the mall...but what we see off our balcony!

Even if there's not a Promenade there's still shops and restaurants and other common areas like the atrium that could offer a room with some kind of view.

No there's not. Of course, you have to actually go on one of the ships to know that.

The one positive aspect of Royal Promenade is even with sidewalk sales going on corridor is wide enough for traffic to flow smoothly. Promenade deck on S class is often impassable.

Yeah and all ships have some kind of shopping area with stores. If you don't feel like shopping or walking though then there are other parts of the ship to hang out. Even when I had a promenade cabin I closed the blinds half the time - doesn't mean that everyone else had to too. How would a flowrider ruin everyone else's experience unless they stand there with their hands on their hips? I say don't worry about what other folks enjoy and you do your thing.

Like....

Beauty of cruising is not the mall...but what we see off our balcony!

Some other folks have brought this up and I get what you are saying. I've had a balcony before that is right about the stars and open air - we could all try to enjoy that more. More times than not I've had a ocean window and that is not the same at night. When I had the promenade cabin there was always something to see with folks buzzing around - it is not so claustrophobic.

Doug, I’ve tried to stay with some of your threads because some had good questions or ideas, but what is the point of this thread??? It’s like asking, why isn’t Celebrity a Trimaran hull?? This has no point or anything for any of us to consider, except to say why we like inside verandas Iwhatever the point of those are) or don’t.

Why doesn’t Celebrity have a nuclear power plant so its doesnt use all this gas/oil??? Why doesnt Celebrity tear out all out all the existing infrastructure and build a 50-deck tower in the center???? Why doesnt.......

Let’s stick with existing reality here. I think you have some good points, but I even hate posting because it just seems to encourage such, with all due, silliness. Please ask or work within realities of what each Cruise Line is setting as their approach. And you might consider waiting to actually cruise on Celebrity before coming up with suggested changes. It’s like you a baiting people who like cruising on this LIne and then you act as if you are so surprised at reactions.

Give the Line a try and see if it fits instead of thinking up what you liked somewhere and ‘suggesting’ it be added on this Line. I assume you are actually aware of what reaction you’ll get, so what is the point???

Den