Are there really starving people on a cruise ship?

We're about 3 weeks away from our next cruise on Oasis.

We were on Empress last year for a Cuba trip and made it a B2B with a Carnival ship out of Jacksonville to the Bahamas. It just worked out as Jacksonville was on our way back to NY from Tampa.

The two cruises were very different and Empress won hands down by ship condition, decor, service and food.

I did notice the menu was a little different than years past, but comparing it to the second cruise, it was great.

I don't mean to knock CCL, but, I could start a thread on the obvious differences and a B2B made it easy to compare.

Anyway, back to food. Although the menu seemed leaner in options, I always found something to eat. I'm not a big fan of specialty dining as I don't think the upcharge is worth it. For example, we love Hibachi dining. On RCCL, Izumi is $45/pp or $180 for a family of 4. We have a local Hibachi restaurant that normally costs us about $120 with tip. Is Izumi that good. I know I'm on vacation, but considering there are dining options included in the trip price, it seems like a lot. Chops at $49. I'm a bit of a beef snob, I only buy Prime beef for home steaks and sometimes will splurge on aged prime. I've had some pretty good steaks on a cruise, but nothing worth $50 more.

The one benefit I do see in the Specialty dining on RCCL, is the customization to your schedule. On our itinerary, we chose late dining to maximize time in port, however, that created a bit of a conflict choosing our entertainment. I can see how Specialty dining or my time dining would work out better. We have been cruising for close to 25 years and always loved the personal attention you get in the MDR having the same servers everyday. For example, I normally like a pitcher of ice water on the table with some cut lemon for dinner. I normally don't drink enough water during the day and make up for it at dinner. In the MDR, I can ask my waiter for the water on the first day, slip him a tip and voila, I'm taken care of the whole trip.

Bouncing around from server to server didn't appeal to us when we tried NCL a few times.

So, should I be concerned about the food. I've viewed the menus online and was able to fine something to choose every night. I didn't get wowed that often, but I think I would be satisfied. I can see the attraction to the Ultimate dining experience and am happy for those who choose it. I just don't think I can pick where and what I wan to eat weeks in advanced.

Am I going to slim down on my cruise?

The reason I started the thread is the constant bashing of the MDR food. The specialty restaurants sound good but I don’t know if they are worth the upcharge. I’ve always enjoyed having the same servers for the week and reading some posts, it’s almost like you’re better off in the Windjammer for dinner.

I was expecting a thread about actual starving people.

From the thread title, yes. I was expecting either starving people booking a cruise, or stowaways on a ship from a depressed port country, or perhaps pseudo-slave labor cruise line workers who are starving or insufficiently fed, or perhaps even that this might be about stopping into a port where there are starving people, and guests trying to sneak food off the boat to feed them.

I've been all over the world; personal, professional, and military travel. I remember cruising with NCL in 2016 or 2017 and stopping somewhere in Hondurus where the tourist area was enclosed by a chain link fence guarded by government troops with rifles, with presumably hungry people on the other side of the fence. It wasn't a particularly pleasant stop. I'd have brought them food if I could have.

NONE of the possibilities about starving on a cruise ship that I considered encompassed someone's preferential dining, or whether an upcharge might be worth it. Words have meaning, and I expect intelligent people to use them in their proper capacity.

The reason I started the thread is the constant bashing of the MDR food. The specialty restaurants sound good but I don’t know if they are worth the upcharge. I’ve always enjoyed having the same servers for the week and reading some posts, it’s almost like you’re better off in the Windjammer for dinner.

Bashing of MDR food? Well it's not the best but it will do... food is extremely subjective. Personally, I preferred CCL dining over RCI for many years. I am going again with CCL this December, and after a long run of just RCI, I will see if I feel the same way.

FYI on My time dining we always have the same waiter. When we sit the first day, if we like him/her we request that persons section each time. We have not had an issue.

It's nothing new, Royal has had Up charge Specialty Restaurant's since 1999

From the thread title, yes. I was expecting either starving people booking a cruise, or stowaways on a ship from a depressed port country, or perhaps pseudo-slave labor cruise line workers who are starving or insufficiently fed, or perhaps even that this might be about stopping into a port where there are starving people, and guests trying to sneak food off the boat to feed them.

I've been all over the world; personal, professional, and military travel. I remember cruising with NCL in 2016 or 2017 and stopping somewhere in Hondurus where the tourist area was enclosed by a chain link fence guarded by government troops with rifles, with presumably hungry people on the other side of the fence. It wasn't a particularly pleasant stop. I'd have brought them food if I could have.

NONE of the possibilities about starving on a cruise ship that I considered encompassed someone's preferential dining, or whether an upcharge might be worth it. Words have meaning, and I expect intelligent people to use them in their proper capacity.

I agree. It was a very strange and misleading thread title.

I’ve been on 3 cruises, I’ve lost weight on each. I have not enjoyed the food. Our Carnival cruise however had the worst food, Disney was the best.

Edited by Sitzmark

I've read enough "my husband is a picky eater and will only eat chicken tenders, hamburgers and french fries" threads to think that possibly some people could starve lol.

The only time the specialty restaurants have a value to me is if it's an experience that I can't get at home. We plan to eat in Wonderland on the Anthem to celebrate DW's 50th birthday. It is pricey but I feel it offers some entertainment value. Everything else we can do at home for less cost. I think those who complain about the MDR have just cruised with Royal too long or too many times in a short span. There is just so much that they can do to change a menu. My son went on his first cruise as an adult along with some friends. My son raved over the MDR. He was 21 at the time. He and his brother would only eat in the buffets at odd hours when they were teens traveling with us so this was a new experience for him. I probably will not have the same reaction since we have always gone to the MDR.

Bashing of MDR food? Well it's not the best but it will do...

Pretty much sums it up. It approximates average buffet food for the most part. I have had a few things that I considered inedible over several recent cruises. I still found things that were ok, but MDR was definitely not great on our past several cruises.

WJ can be better because you can actually look over all the things available and try what you want, then discard or get more. Can't really do that in the MDR because of the time it takes to reorder stuff.

I can see the attraction to the Ultimate dining experience and am happy for those who choose it. I just don't think I can pick where and what I wan to eat weeks in advanced.

With the Ultimate dining package you don’t have to worry about deciding weeks in advance where you are going to eat because you can’t make any reservations until you are onboard the ship.

We're about 3 weeks away from our next cruise on Oasis.

We were on Empress last year for a Cuba trip and made it a B2B with a Carnival ship out of Jacksonville to the Bahamas. It just worked out as Jacksonville was on our way back to NY from Tampa.

The two cruises were very different and Empress won hands down by ship condition, decor, service and food.

I did notice the menu was a little different than years past, but comparing it to the second cruise, it was great.

I don't mean to knock CCL, but, I could start a thread on the obvious differences and a B2B made it easy to compare.

Anyway, back to food. Although the menu seemed leaner in options, I always found something to eat. I'm not a big fan of specialty dining as I don't think the upcharge is worth it. For example, we love Hibachi dining. On RCCL, Izumi is $45/pp or $180 for a family of 4. We have a local Hibachi restaurant that normally costs us about $120 with tip. Is Izumi that good. I know I'm on vacation, but considering there are dining options included in the trip price, it seems like a lot. Chops at $49. I'm a bit of a beef snob, I only buy Prime beef for home steaks and sometimes will splurge on aged prime. I've had some pretty good steaks on a cruise, but nothing worth $50 more.

The one benefit I do see in the Specialty dining on RCCL, is the customization to your schedule. On our itinerary, we chose late dining to maximize time in port, however, that created a bit of a conflict choosing our entertainment. I can see how Specialty dining or my time dining would work out better. We have been cruising for close to 25 years and always loved the personal attention you get in the MDR having the same servers everyday. For example, I normally like a pitcher of ice water on the table with some cut lemon for dinner. I normally don't drink enough water during the day and make up for it at dinner. In the MDR, I can ask my waiter for the water on the first day, slip him a tip and voila, I'm taken care of the whole trip.

Bouncing around from server to server didn't appeal to us when we tried NCL a few times.

So, should I be concerned about the food. I've viewed the menus online and was able to fine something to choose every night. I didn't get wowed that often, but I think I would be satisfied. I can see the attraction to the Ultimate dining experience and am happy for those who choose it. I just don't think I can pick where and what I wan to eat weeks in advanced.

Come on!!!

No.
We liked it. But I did have a 30% discount via those folks that hound you in WJ.

Also the $49 version got me giant scallops and two lobster tails. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk