"Who are the officers"....why?

dltvermont

So Im relatively new to cruising, just 4 so far. I see alot of people post asking who the officers etc are on a ship. Im just wondering why? Ive never even noted who my officers were until they were introduced during the cruise. I just never gave a second thought to who they were and it certainly wouldnt have made a difference in any of our cruises.

being a repeat cruiser,i have gotten to know many crew and officers. we have a few fave cruise directors and love it when we have them on a sailing. that's why i ask. my interest lies mostly with the CD and the captain, and various entertainers. I too have wondered tho why people want to know, say, the head chef or hotel manager. but maybe they have developed friendships with tehm too. who knows.

So Im relatively new to cruising, just 4 so far. I see alot of people post asking who the officers etc are on a ship. Im just wondering why? Ive never even noted who my officers were until they were introduced during the cruise. I just never gave a second thought to who they were and it certainly wouldnt have made a difference in any of our cruises.

Let me suggest an experiment then. You have 4 cruises where you haven't given a second thought to who the officers were.

On your next 4 cruises, change that. Get to know the officers. Introduce yourself. Get to know them, ask questions about their background, experiences, culture, etc... Give them that second thought. Then see how your cruise experience differs and you will understand why people who have taken the time end up feeling the way that they do.

Don't just dismiss what you haven't experienced.

The Captain, officers, and cruise director have different styles of communication, management and interacting with the passengers. I like to tell the officers what I have enjoyed or feel comfortable giving constructing criticism. It's much like foodies tracking who are the executive chefs at different restaurants around their city!

Getting to know the various Hotel Directors, Restaurant Managers, and the like is a good idea. Some of them are very very good and as others have mentioned will go out of their way to make your experience memorable.

All the NCL officers I have met have been pleasant and efficient. The only standout captain was on the RCL Vision of the Seas- Marek Slabey. He was quite young, dashing, played guitar for the passengers, hosted an eight-day cooking competition, and then shook EVERY passenger's hand as we disembarked. His crew was about the happiest I ever met. That was one memorable captain!

I was wondering the same thing. I am an introvert and in the past, look at cruising as an alternate mode of transportation. I tend to ask little of any staff, however am always appreciative of good service. As to who is driving the ship, I just like to stay out of their way in order for them to do their business. Only once, many decades ago, did I get to know the Cruise Director. It was a very small ship and he was difficult to ignore.

However, I appreciate the flip side, and will see if I can break out of my bubble to be more involved. Thanks for asking the question.

Some folks love the idea of knowing officers as they feel like they are high and mighty to know them .

We have done over 30 cruises and could only name one Hotel Director. We don't care to mingle with officers and go to the Latitude parties. I just want them to do their job. If they talk to us in the specialty DR we are always polite and speak back.

Some folks love the idea of knowing officers as they feel like they are high and mighty to know them .

We have done over 30 cruises and could only name one Hotel Director. We don't care to mingle with officers and go to the Latitude parties. I just want them to do their job. If they talk to us in the specialty DR we are always polite and speak back.

Something tells me the officers have no interest in getting to know these passengers, either. But their jobs require them to be bothered by the questions and pretend to care.

Something tells me the officers have no interest in getting to know these passengers, either. But their jobs require them to be bothered by the questions and pretend to care.
Best post on CC this week ...... Truth all the way. I don't care and never have cared who the captain is, cruise director, or anyone else is on board neither. Who the ship Skipper and Gilligan are matters not.

The captain sets the tone for the ship. Some Captains are jokesters and encourage people to give them the rabbit ears during ship photos. Some are very reserved and almost seem in pain when asked to do photo ops. As long as they are good at their job and keep us safe either style is fine.

I was wondering the same thing. I am an introvert and in the past, look at cruising as an alternate mode of transportation. I tend to ask little of any staff, however am always appreciative of good service. As to who is driving the ship, I just like to stay out of their way in order for them to do their business. Only once, many decades ago, did I get to know the Cruise Director. It was a very small ship and he was difficult to ignore.

However, I appreciate the flip side, and will see if I can break out of my bubble to be more involved. Thanks for asking the question.

Cruising for my wife and I is a means to an end. I could really care less who the Captain and the officers are. As long as they get us from point A to B be safely I'm good. If they are walking around the ship and introduce themselves thats great, other than that.......The Only NCL employee who still stands out in my mind in Sinan Ulucay, what fantastic cruise director and a all around nice guy

I believe the OP wanted to know why people cared about this information. Why are so many coming on here and saying why they are not interested? By the way, it's "couldn't" care less. If you "could" care less then that means you care somewhat. There is still room for less caring. I assume most people on here couldn't care less. I assume they are commenting in order to get their post counts up.

the captain sets the tone for the ship. Some captains are jokesters and encourage people to give them the rabbit ears during ship photos. Some are very reserved and almost seem in pain when asked to do photo ops. As long as they are good at their job and keep us safe either style is fine.

this is just clear bs

My DD and her friend sailed with me last April. I told them to dress up a bit as we were going to meet the Captain. My DD's friend looked and me and asked why we had to dress up to meet the staff. They stayed back in the cabin.

I have found the officers on NCL to be the most visible of the lines I've sailed... They are constantly out and about, asking passengers how their cruise is going. Is there anything we could do to make it better? Especially if you attend the Cruise Critic M&G, and interact with them on a one on one basis... My last cruise on the Escape, Kivanc the F&B Manager would stop me every time he passed to see how everything was going. He walked by once when I was sitting at the bar and told the bartender to pour anything I wanted, on him. I was having trouble getting into a specialty restaurant one night and he made one phone call, and boom, a reservation all the sudden opened up.