The”show” is spilling out of Eden

cruisestitch

Yes my original post was that a costumed character sat down next to me at a table in al Bacio and then made her way on hands and knees out.  The second post I made reported four of them having a pillow fight there. They then ran through the tables and away.  My point is that people have said “ if you don’t want to have the characters near you, stay out of Eden. “.  Then the characters started spilling out into other spaces on the ship.   It’s kind of hard to ignore people next year having a pillow fight .

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes my original post was that a costumed character sat down next to me at a table in al Bacio and then made her way on hands and knees out.  The second post I made reported four of them having a pillow fight there. They then ran through the tables and away.  My point is that people have said “ if you don’t want to have the characters near you, stay out of Eden. “.  Then the characters started spilling out into other spaces on the ship.   It’s kind of hard to ignore people next year having a pillow fight .

Sorry it was not clear that they sat at your table. But it seemed a very brief interaction- but of course still invasive of your personal space if you don't like that sort of thing.  The pillow fight is a bit different IMO.  That would be bothersome to some trying to have a quiet conversation in al Bacio.

• Like 1

I think this sounds like fun. I am a HUGE fan of the Orlando Fringe Festival, and plan to attend the Edinburgh Fringe in a couple of years, the grand daddy of all Fringe Festivals. I love interactive performance art. I also love Halloween Horror Nights (different as the goal is to scare, but it is essentially big performance art), and in fact was a "scareactor" for 3 Halloweens, and truly enjoyed my 2 years when I was a street performer and got to do fun things like this. I doubt very much they are allowed to touch guests. Loosen up a bit and enjoy it. When reading about Edge, knowing these things may occur, and it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, don't book the ship. Try interacting back. You  might be surprised at how much this can be. 

• Like 5

Kimlovesfl, I thought about the Edinburgh Fringe Festival myself, as well as various buskers we’ve encountered in our travels. Years ago, we were in Edinburgh just after the Fringe Festival, and many acts were still out and about. It was a delightful experience! DH and I were discussing the Edenists last night, and agreed that (as long as they respect personal space) they sound entertaining at best, harmless at worst. And unlike some aggressive buskers we’ve encountered on occasion, they’ll neither hurl profanities at us if we’re not interested in stopping, nor attempt to steal our wallets (as did a curiously untalented “busker” in Canterbury).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds there will be enough fringies to fill the X niche and the cabins  mainstreamers abandon.

After 2 cruises on  EDGE in 2019

( second one is now iffy),  we may book the Galapagos ( gorgeous new X ship)   and go where the  creatures are more to our liking!

..how sad!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We witnessed a group of 4 Eden-ists carrying what looked like an imaginary ball around the Grand Plaza yesterday and then start walking up to folks drinking their coffee in the Cafe and mostly talking nonsense.  Hoping this video link works. 

One lady was invited to have her head fondled20181215_115205.thumb.jpg.9d6a87a4ef5d12cebf56a979ff656856.jpg 

Edited by dides

17 minutes ago, dides said:

We witnessed a goup of 4 Eden-ists carrying what looked like an imaginary ball around the Grand Plaza yesterday and then start walking up to folks drinking their coffee in the Cafe and mostly talking nonsense.  Hoping this video link works. 

One lady was invited to have her head fondled20181215_115205.thumb.jpg.9d6a87a4ef5d12cebf56a979ff656856.jpg 

I was able  to open it.. usually I  can' t

Maybe it's the new EDGE water!..

Their parents must be proud! But probably glad X is footing the bill for room  and board.. One wonders why the guests are still standing there..must be a  very boring cruise!

Do any shareholders care how much X is paying for this banal silliness?? 

Please bring back the Celebrity Singers and Dancers..who at least had talent and worked hard!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, hcat said:

I was able  to open it.. usually I  can' t

Maybe it's the new EDGE water!..

Their parents must be proud! But probably glad X is footing the bill for room  and board.. One wonders why the guests are still standing there..must be a  very boring cruise!

Do any shareholders care how much X is paying for this banal silliness?? 

Please bring back the Celebrity Singers and Dancers..who at least had talent and worked hard!

Now THAT is really creepy... almost more than the Haunted Forest and the Faceless People, which are pretty darn creepy.  I am telling you right here and now, and you can take this to the bank, as they say, that the first Edenist who touches me will NOT be happy with the consequences.  I may be old and short, but I can react pretty well if I need to, and this would certainly be a need-to occurrence!  I agree that they should just stay in Eden, and I will stay out of there, if that is what it will take to stay away from them.  They look like destitute, homeless, grungy people and however much X paid for what laughingly are being touted as "costumes" is WAY too much.  And then they walk around like they are high on some mind-altering substance?  Give me a break!  This is NOT classy.  It is pathetic.

• Like 5

Final payment already made...too late.

We plan to avoid that stuff as best we can,  not looking for any ugly scenes.

...We hope  to have the Special  Cruise we have been looking  forward to for such a long time, despite the kinky, creepy , silly stuff...

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Their parents must be proud! But probably glad X is footing the bill for room  and board.

This is pretty insulting towards actors/artists trying to make an income. I can understand you don't want to enjoy the new entertainment on Edge, but I'm not comprehending why you must say degrading things about the people themselves.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

My dh said something similar..they are only doing what X hired them to..Guess I may  try to be more tolerant but to me it is annoyingly stupid.... Hope they will not  continue to be unleashed throughout the ship...

When we booked our cruise we did not know this would be part of the deal.  EDEN  was supposed  have a show which we thought would be in the EDEN restaurant and we could  skip it if it did not appeal to our taste, which it did not....X highlighted guest entertainers in the PR we looked at..and they seemed fine!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

My assumption is that all this Eden stuff will be short lived. Edge is a new direction for Celebrity to try to reinvent their Brand obviously. Edge was a one and done for me....the IV's for me are a dealbreaker....and this new zen atmosphere they have created is not my cup of tea. IMHO.....after the initial hype that was created about the Edge....you are going to see pricing on this ship fall fast. On the positive side...with all the hype on the Edge...pricing on S class has become quite attractive.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dides said:

We witnessed a group of 4 Eden-ists carrying what looked like an imaginary ball around the Grand Plaza yesterday and then start walking up to folks drinking their coffee in the Cafe and mostly talking nonsense.  Hoping this video link works. 

Hmmmm, I guess tastes have REALLY changed!  Time to update this commercial.

20 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Hmmmm, I guess tastes have REALLY changed!  Time to update this commercial.

Yup.....by the way..i actually own one of those fringe suede vest...a vestige of the 6os...we lend it out for  Halloween

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Maybe I could wear it to the Fringe Festival.

We did get to experience Fantasy Fest in Key West on one cruise..very odd but a  big draw..not so much  a favorite  event with locals from feedback we heard.

Not familiar with head fondling  and I would  decline the offer! Slippery slope when the actors offer to touch guests!

Points made with differing views..moving on to another topic..Enjoy!

Edited by hcat

1 minute ago, yorky said:

Have to say I do feel sorry for the performers, not their fault this is a terrible idea and they are just trying to make a living. I blame Celebrity for making a complete mess of the next class of ship. IV cabins, magic carpet, Eden, a pool deck with little or no shade. The list goes on but insulting the performers is not the answer.

Did you encounter any of the Eden characters on your cruise?

Maybe it time to take a few deep breaths.

We are all trying to make sense of this new  concept and it is trying at best, but we don’t want to be upset with one another and stress because of this. 

Please dont let this stuff get you upset. It’s not worth it. 

• Like 2

I agree with MizDemeanor.  This is one of those CC topics which seems to have us at odds.  For me anyway I have been in many places, restaurants, theme parks, other cruises, etc. where the occasional interactive character has appeared.  They never really upset me at all but in many cases I just politely walked away knowing that they were just doing their job. No stress about it at all.  In this case it seems that Eden itself is the polarizing factor, perhaps with the escaped Eden characters being a scapegoat for some of us dissatisfied with the Eden concept, noise, costumes, whatever. 

The Eden creatures roaming all over the ship seems creepy. I don't get it but then perhaps it is Celebrity's intention since I'm not their target demographic. It will be interesting to read how young children react to this.

If approached I would simply say "no thank-you" and keep on walking just like how we respond to aggressive photographers and employees pushing drink packages and specialty restaurants.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

It is great that on a cruise you are not made to do things that you do not want to do.  We do not have all the information, and were not there, so if this seriously offends you, just do not go or be polite if you do, like was mentioned above.  I cannot imagine that anyone would do something to you if you said "no thank you!"  Change is the name of the game, and some embrace certain changes and others do not...oh, our first world problems seem to be alive and well in many posts about Edge...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 4

On 12/16/2018 at 9:12 AM, TeeRick said:

This (above) was the original post.  A quick appearance from a character from Eden who briefly sat down at a table.  Not clear even if another passenger was at that table.  Never touched anybody.  Probably was over in a minute.  Possibly just an ad lib thing.  This thread is hilarious!  Why is everybody so outraged? Nobody else has reported Eden characters wandering the ship and bothering people.  What if it was a Celebrity dancer from the show or an officer that sat down at a table?  Sound the alarm?

Very true but a pillow fight, now that's really going overboard (sorry for the pun).  That would turn me off immediately.  Folks walking around, okay but nothing like this.  Celebrity is going way off the deep end with some of things we are hearing.  We sail on January 13th so very interested to see what it's all about.

Pat C

• Like 1