MOVE UP BID---PENDING??

healthworker

I am also cruising on December 22 (of course, min e is now only four days off due to the international date line thing--we cruise out of Hong Kong--where it is already Tuesday).  I have a double move up bid "pending"--I bid to move up to two different categories.

It doesn't matter whether they have any of the category you bid for remaining.  First, they often have some last minute cancellations.  More importantly, there's the compound move-up.  For example, on my cruise, they are currently showing 10 cabins available:  One suite, 6 verandas and three OVs. Assuming that none of these are sold in the next 24 hours or so (IIRC, they need to submit a final manifest 72 hours prior to sailing) and that there are no last minute cancellations...and assuming they have pending move up bids at every level, what will happen is this:  Someone currently in a Sky Suite and with a move up bid on a Suite will be awarded that one large suite, freeing up Sky Suite.  Then, someone with an Aqua and a bid out for a Sky Suite will be moved up--freeing up that Aqua.  Then someone in an Concierge class who had bid on an Aqua will get moved up.  At that point, they will have seven available Verandas...and the seven top bidders at the OV level will get those--leaving 10 free OVs...which will go to the top ten bidders among inside cabin bookings.  So, the odds actually go up for those in lower categories with bids out.

They don't do any of that shuffling around until that three day limit on the manifest expires.  Up until then, they are still hoping for some last minute bookings.  They will make more money if anyone new steps to the table to book--even at a discounted price...it means one less empty cabin at sailaway.  After that, they'll do the shuffling and collect the total of all of those accepted move-up bids as they re-shuffle.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I don't believe this is tied to Captains Club level at all.  From what I understand if you are withing 30 days of the sailing you can go to the MoveUp web page and enter your reservation number and see what you can bid on. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

The only tie to Captains Club according to the latest news letter is that if 2 bids are equal the person with the highest CC tier status will win the bid.

A few years ago there was a program where reduced fare upgrades were offered to CC members.  Not sure how or if that program really worked.  This program is probably much more fair since it is all done by computer to maximize revenue.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

November 5, 2018 on the Equinox

My October 2018 was offered a Move Up bid.

i suggest you click on the above link and see if your cruise has any offers.  Assuming the cruise depends within the next 30 days.

good luck.

I’m just curious to know do they let you know what room you’re bidding on ? I usually like to pick a room specifically for location ?  Would hate to have a room  underneath Oceanview café ! I know  some people don’t mind it but I found it to be really loud .

9 minutes ago, sdnich said:

I’m just curious to know do they let you know what room you’re bidding on ? I usually like to pick a room specifically for location ?  Would hate to have a room  underneath Oceanview café ! I know  some people don’t mind it but I found it to be really loud .

Nope.  You are not bidding on a particular cabin, just a category.

Obviously the Move Up bidding process is not for you.

15 hours ago, avp1234 said:

Oh well. I'm currently in a Verandah on the Jan 18, 2019 sailing and i bid on all the categories above it.  Just looked and they're all sold out. Bummer

Certainly the probability for winning a bid are less.  Someone could cancel, or someone could win a Move Up bid to a higher category creating an open cabin.

Looks like I am likely not getting that Move Up...

There are still a few hours left for them to sell a cabin or two...But, yesterday, there were six Verandas open and one OV...Today, there are 7 OVs suddenly available...and the only Veranda showing as open is one of the handicap cabins...Which, I am guessing means they moved six bidders up from OV to Veranda...and I am not one of them.  I am very much okay with that.  I was not willing to throw any great amount of money at a move up bid.  I had booked early...and booked an OV because:

1)  I saved a great deal of money that way...and...

2)  I was able to snag one of the premiere OV cabins on Millie--#3112--the most midship of the former conference center OVs--slightly larger than standard and with a very large window

They "opened the bidding" on the move up to Veranda at $150 pp...and I was only willing to bid $155.  I figured that, if those Veranda cabins had been originally priced at $310 more than my OV, I would have booked it...But moving upwards from there wasn't worth it to me in the first place, so why would I bid more now?

Apparently, I was not one of the top six bids...and I am okay with that.  I wasn't going to bid against phantoms in a blind auction.

Now, with that one handicap veranda still open...as well as one large suite, I figure that in the next 25 hours or so (the time left before they hit that 72 hour to sailaway mark), there are still two more chances to be upgraded...So, if I was the 7th or 8th best bid, it could still happen.  But, I am not really counting on it.  If I wasn't going to be happy with that OV, I would have booked the Veranda.  But, my most recent Celebrity cruise--to Alaska this past June--was in a Concierge cabin.  My next one--a Baltic--is currently booked in an inside cabin.  We follow that one up immediately (a back-to-back to the British Isles) in a "slant" Veranda.  I book each individual cruise based on the pricing on that cruise...and adjust up or down based on the price differentials.  My attitude, really, is just get me on the ship.  So, I look at this "MoveUp" thing in much the same way--if the price it costs me to upgrade is reasonably small, I will go for it...If it wasn't worth it when I booked, it hasn't suddenly become worth it now.  I will not fall into the frenzied psychology of an auction setting--especially a blind auction where you don't even know what the competing bids are--or if there even are any...  Bid, if you chose to do so, based on what you would have been willing to pay...not based on what you think it might take to "win"...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Looks like I am likely not getting that Move Up...

There are still a few hours left for them to sell a cabin or two...But, yesterday, there were six Verandas open and one OV...Today, there are 7 OVs suddenly available...

Thanks for your explanation of your approach to the Move-Up Bidding Program, I'm sorry you weren't successful.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:54 PM, healthworker said:

hello,

I put in a move up bid (made lowest bid) to upgrade from obstructed balcony to concierge class three days ago.

Sailing next Saturday.  I have not received a refusal email. Everytime I check the status,it says "PENDING",

There are no concierge cabins left for this sailing.

Do I have a chance since never received a refusal?  Anyone have any experience with "pending?"

Appreciate it!

53 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks for your explanation of your approach to the Move-Up Bidding Program, I'm sorry you weren't successful.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:54 PM, healthworker said:

hello,

I put in a move up bid (made lowest bid) to upgrade from obstructed balcony to concierge class three days ago.

Sailing next Saturday.  I have not received a refusal email. Everytime I check the status,it says "PENDING",

There are no concierge cabins left for this sailing.

Do I have a chance since never received a refusal?  Anyone have any experience with "pending?"

Appreciate it!

I was advised no bidding for the edge.  They will only sell cabins at listed price.  If another ship, call.

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2018 at 8:30 AM, If only said:

I read somewhere that if you don’t sign up for their marketing you will not receive the Move Up bid, not sure if this is true or not as others have said you have to be Elite or higher.

We are not Elite and received a move up bid.  I was wondering how long it takes to find out if its accepted or not.  We sail in 2 weeks and currently have a guarantee oceanview with no cabin assignment.

38 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

We are not Elite and received a move up bid.  I was wondering how long it takes to find out if its accepted or not.  We sail in 2 weeks and currently have a guarantee oceanview with no cabin assignment.

The two times we did not win our bid, we were notified two days prior to the cruise.  From previous reports, I would say you will find out at anytime between when you submitted your bid and two day before the cruise if your bid is accepted.

Good Luck.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, wrk2cruise said:

I don't believe this is tied to Captains Club level at all.  From what I understand if you are withing 30 days of the sailing you can go to the MoveUp web page and enter your reservation number and see what you can bid on. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade

The only tie to Captains Club according to the latest news letter is that if 2 bids are equal the person with the highest CC tier status will win the bid.

A few years ago there was a program where reduced fare upgrades were offered to CC members.  Not sure how or if that program really worked.  This program is probably much more fair since it is all done by computer to maximize revenue.

Thanks for the link....hopefully will be able to bid on our TA sailing on Silhouette once we get within 30 days.

We are currently booked in a veranda on the Mille and would like to bid on a sky suite, if available, when our 30 day window opens. Because we are not booked in either an Aqua or Concierge cabin, will we still be able to bid on a suite?

I am also curious how it works when you have a variety of category levels bidding and everyone bids the highest acceptable $$$ amount based on their current category, but the lowest category cabin submitted their bid first? Who gets the cabin if there is only one available? Is it the earliest bidder or the bidder with the highest bidding cabin category or does the Loyalty level somehow come into play? 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

58 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We are currently booked in a veranda on the Mille and would like to bid on a sky suite, if available, when our 30 day window opens. Because we are not booked in either an Aqua or Concierge cabin, will we still be able to bid on a suite?

I am also curious how it works when you have a variety of category levels bidding and everyone bids the highest acceptable $$$ amount based on their current category, but the lowest category cabin submitted their bid first? Who gets the cabin if there is only one available? Is it the earliest bidder or the bidder with the highest bidding cabin category or does the Loyalty level somehow come into play? 

Good Luck, they never invite me to bid in the move-up program.

19 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Good Luck, they never invite me to bid in the move-up program.

We opted in on our X account to get the promotional emails which includes getting the move-up notifications. You can also just go directly to the web link wrktocruise noted earlier when you are within 30 days of your cruise. 

4 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

booked on a sold out cruise and today i get a move up email.  Not sure I get it if the ship is sold out.  Whats the point?

There are often cancellations close to sailing date.   These cancellations could then be rooms that could be upgraded to.