What's your opinion on Guarantee or "We Pick the Room" Cabins

RCCL Fan

52 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I think that was modified a bit with on board bookings - those are supposed to get price drops.

Yes, mine wasn't an onboard booking though, I booked on the website. I was amazed when she said I could have the lower price.

19 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Although this page does show more than the US page there is always some behind the scenes work with cabins that cannot be seen.   For Instance, I booked a 6D gty on my may sailing on AD.   I have access to the TA site and saw nothing available at all and ended up with a 3D on the hump.   I have 3 clients on the same sailing, in the same 6D gty bucket that have not yet gotten any cabin assignments.  From what I see there are not many balconies available so RCI may be waiting until after they go thru the upgrade process to assign these folks...  Just need to wait and see.   BTW, we saved over $100 per cabin by getting the gty !!

oops, sorry, I made a typo... we saved over $1,000 per cabin with the GTY !!!

Realizing there is not a "typical" process for RCI GTY cabin assignments, but just curious if having made or not made final payment has any bearing on when RCI does the cabin assignment.

Last month we booked the Anthem leaving May 23rd, originally in an interior. Price adjustments swayed me to book a GTY balcony for hundreds less than the interior, so we took the gamble. Final payment is due the end of this month. Totally irrelevant to when we could see the cabin assignment, or won't see it until after final payment or could see assignment tomorrow....all of the above... none of the above...just happens when it happens?

17 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Last month we booked the Anthem leaving May 23rd, originally in an interior. Price adjustments swayed me to book a GTY balcony for hundreds less than the interior, so we took the gamble. Final payment is due the end of this month. Totally irrelevant to when we could see the cabin assignment, or won't see it until after final payment or could see assignment tomorrow....all of the above... none of the above...just happens when it happens?

In red is the correct answer. However...

My bet today is you'll see your cabin assignment long after final payment (especially with the new "Royal Up" program in play), and there won't be many cabin choices for you to change to so it won't matter much what/where you're assigned. Please post your experience so that we here on CC can track of how this is all shaking out. Good luck with your assignment!

I am sailing on the Anthem in March.  Booked first of the year.  Got my cabin assignment at 45 days out.   Deck 13 balcony close to aft on port side.  Ship is sold out.  Will let you know what I think of the cabin after the cruise.  I have never been above the 10th floor before.

20 hours ago, Edhoff said:

Would take a shot and save $987, beside how much time do you really spend in your cabin, unless your a newly wed.

Been married nearly 40 years and spend a lot of time in my cabin.

some of it pretending we are newly weds, then lots of it recovering.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For a number of reasons I no longer let them pick.

we need to be mid ship as wife now has a condition impacted by excessive motion, I have a back problem so need to be near the elevators, so we are very much pick and stick, but before those issues came into play I’d have said go for it for that saving.

We are booked on Mariner in a few weeks.  I originally booked a balcony guarantee because it's such a short cruise and I didn't really care where the cabin was, plus it was cheaper.  We still had not been assigned a cabin (Set Sail pass said 6 GTY) but I noticed the price on balcony cabins had dropped below what we paid.  I had paid the final payment so I didn't expect anything but thought it couldn't hurt to try.  Called the travel agent and they called RCI - who offered us a deck 9,  top category mid-ship cabin.  Due to price reductions it didn't cost them anything but I feel like I got something and now I know I'm not going to be stuck in the worst balcony cabin on the ship.  My point is - if you book the guarantee you may still end up with a cabin you want at a much lower price.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

In red is the correct answer. However...

My bet today is you'll see your cabin assignment long after final payment (especially with the new "Royal Up" program in play), and there won't be many cabin choices for you to change to so it won't matter much what/where you're assigned. Please post your experience so that we here on CC can track of how this is all shaking out. Good luck with your assignment!

Yep figured as I typed it, that would be the "answer", which we're ok with. Fortunately we're like someone who posted previously, if I'm saving enough money, we'll stay in a lifeboat, should still get pretty good ocean views from there!! 

7 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I don't think we've ever booked at a time when we had this option, but I would certainly take it.  Cabin location doesn't matter in the least; as long as it is an OV we're good.

You are good as long as you are ok with the possibility of getting an obstructed view OV.

I would do it for that kind of savings.  Unless you have to have a certain location for whatever reason then might as well save some money.  Once your room is assigned you can try and move if there is availability.  The only reason to move is if there is an obstructed view.

I'm not prone to motion concerns and I'm not fussy about cabin location in the name of saving money.  The biggest downside of GTY is that it often results in a connecting cabin where you will hear your neighbors.  Put me anywhere on a ship but not in a connecting cabin.

A recent WS or Junior Suite GTY netted me an accessible room meant for handicap guests.  I don't like taking accessible rooms but that is what they assigned me with no opportunity to change it.  

On 2/8/2019 at 1:29 AM, Hoopster95 said:

I too have done exactly what both of you have said, however I think that game has recently changed...

There's been many recent threads here on CC regarding GTY assignments. Seems that RCL has begun to get "smarter" with everything these days, including those who want to change their GTY assignments. Recent GTY purchasers are seeing the assigned deck number on their cruise planner, but no cabin number... not even closer to sail date. In other words, I can see RCL selling out cabin categories (or close to it) before releasing specific cabin numbers to anyone's assignment, thus leaving less (or none) "preferred" cabins for those who would want to move after being assigned as there wont be anything left.

If it were me and I book a GTY, the second I see the deck number I would look at all available cabins on that specific deck and implore my TA to ask RCL to assign me one of my 3 preferred choices. I wouldn't wait. I wonder of someone would try this if they have a GTY and report back here on this forum.

I booked a guarantee room for a May Harmony cruise in mid January. The room was assigned today and my TA was able to change our room within that same category. The system appears to still be working as it did in the past.

On 2/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, stevea36 said:

Although this page does show more than the US page there is always some behind the scenes work with cabins that cannot be seen.   For Instance, I booked a 6D gty on my may sailing on AD.   I have access to the TA site and saw nothing available at all and ended up with a 3D on the hump.   I have 3 clients on the same sailing, in the same 6D gty bucket that have not yet gotten any cabin assignments.  From what I see there are not many balconies available so RCI may be waiting until after they go thru the upgrade process to assign these folks...  Just need to wait and see.   BTW, we saved over $100 per cabin by getting the gty !!

I certainly wouldn't do it for only $100.00 +.

16 hours ago, Ronaldo807 said:

I booked a guarantee room for a May Harmony cruise in mid January. The room was assigned today and my TA was able to change our room within that same category. The system appears to still be working as it did in the past.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:16 AM, lorimay said:

Called the travel agent and they called RCI - who offered us a deck 9,  top category mid-ship cabin.

So there you have it.... many posting they are only getting a deck number, others posting that it's still the same as it has always been, and others posting that they call in and get an assignment. I know better....

R.C.I. = Really Consistently Inconsistent 

Next month all the answers will be different again with new/different experiences being posted by various cruisers :classic_wacko:

Edited by Hoopster95

We recently "upgraded" from a we-chose-it inside to a guaranty OceanView for a price we couldn't turn down.  We are 71 days out and have no assignment.  Will post here when we get a clue, whether it is just a deck number or an actual cabin number.  We are prepared for that to happen as late as departure day.  It is our first experience with a guarantee.