Cruise Critic Community
Chesneygirl

Left Behind in Nassau on the Symphony of the Seas!

This just happened on Friday February 15th. We were docked next to the Symphony while in Nassau…the ship did wait but in the end the couple was just tooo late getting back. 

I have seriously had nightmares about this kind of situation.  Watching made my palms sweat.😪

What do you do, find a way home or boat to next port.  If you get a boat to catchup to the ship( like a tug or pilot) will they let you board?

learning to live with rules and comply with instructions does have consequences!  Good lesson learned...a whole lot of people need that one!!!!!!!  Not an ounce of pity in me.  Sorry

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

tankbella

Yes, I have had that dream more than once.  Glad its just a dream.

Edited by BecciBoo

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

learning to live with rules and comply with instructions does have consequences!  Good lesson learned...a whole lot of people need that one!!!!!!!  Not an ounce of pity in me.  Sorry

Totally agree.

There were several others that day that got lucky and didn’t miss the ship. All aboard was 330. Between 3:30 and 4:00 the lines of people running to the ship were incredible. Just when we thought we saw the last two or three run up we had two or three more. Those that were still able to get on at that 4:05 mark were the luckiest and there were two. 

This was the last one on at 4:05. They won the RC lottery. 😀

3070B873-86A9-4EA2-AED7-90811F4958AB_zps

By 4:15 we were this far away from the dock.

D1022EB6-F006-42F4-AC3F-DB3FCD76A7B7_zps

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, where’s the Port agent  with the couples passports that many say they retrieve from the cabin safe?

It would have happened before they pulled the ramp...…..   We have seen it.

The ship should leave on time. Waiting only teaches these people that they are indeed the center of the universe like they think they are.

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

It would have happened before they pulled the ramp...…..   We have seen it.

If it had happened then I would think the port agent still would have been there as the couple showed up within minutes of them pulling the ramp.

That sucks, but c'mon it was a bit funny. The guy waddling back and forth in flip flops, especially if you watch it at 2X the speed :classic_biggrin:

On a more serious note, what happens next? They pay out of pocket and fly to the next port where the ship docks? Assuming they have their passports with them. 

1 minute ago, JayTee1 said:

That sucks, but c'mon it was a bit funny. The guy waddling back and forth in flip flops, especially if you watch it at 2X the speed :classic_biggrin:

On a more serious note, what happens next? They pay out of pocket and fly to the next port where the ship docks? Assuming they have their passports with them. 

Next port is home. Was the last day of cruise. They have to pay out of pocket to get back to Miami. 

7 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

Pretty much and insurance won't cover it unless they missed the ship for a covered reason.

Alway take a copy or original passport when in Nassau if you want to get home quickly.  Shame these people thought they had all the time in the world.  Sucks. 

Sorry do not feel bad for them get your ass back to the ship on time like everyone else!! We are ALWAYS back on ship at least an hour early most often than  two hours!

Edited by Reader0108598

it's no joke when the ship tells you sailing time is at 4pm, then BE THERE.  very seldom have we had people late on all the cruises I have done.  but hopefully it will never be me! how embarrassing and terribly inconvenient . 

19 minutes ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Next port is home. Was the last day of cruise. They have to pay out of pocket to get back to Miami. 

As well they should! Follow the rules people!! We are all told a hundred times when to be back on board...your Mother thinks you are special they don't!!

40 minutes ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

There were several others that day that got lucky and didn’t miss the ship. All aboard was 330. Between 3:30 and 4:00 the lines of people running to the ship were incredible. Just when we thought we saw the last two or three run up we had two or three more. Those that were still able to get on at that 4:05 mark were the luckiest and there were two. 

This was the last one on at 4:05. They won the RC lottery. 😀

3070B873-86A9-4EA2-AED7-90811F4958AB_zps

By 4:15 we were this far away from the dock.

D1022EB6-F006-42F4-AC3F-DB3FCD76A7B7_zps

That passenger is dressed like a court jester. No wonder that getup slowed him down. 

So close and yet so far away!  I would love to have heard the conversation between them at the end of the video lol

54 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, where’s the Port agent  with the couples passports that many say they retrieve from the cabin safe?

Who knows if they had a passport?  Many travel without them.    Who was the man they spoke with when they missed the ship?  I don't know if he was a port agent.  

Maybe they had their passports with them.  I have seen where ships officers hand over passports to late arriving people that they have collected prior to leaving. 

Additionally, they will be charged the Jones Act fee when they return to Miami as well.

I always try to get back on earlier than most of the other cruisers, to not have to deal with the lines, possibly enjoy some areas of the ship with less people on it, etc.  But I still wonder what actually happens to the ones that miss the ship, like in reality.