Gas Station Food on Vision of the Seas

Cowbert

So I usually avoid threads like this ---- with wild tangents --- people with different political (in this case environmental) beliefs etc.

But I'm going to weigh in on this one.

That case of food looks bad.  It's messy, cheap looking, and invokes the spirit of a convenience store.  Many people like convenience stores and the grab and go mentality.  That's fine.   But I have never seen anything of the sort on a Royal Caribbean ship and I've been sailing with them since I was a kid.

Grab and Go food?  nope  never seen it like this.

Park Cafe is an Oasis class thing --- it's awesome.  You come in and you order a freshly made sandwich and it's given to you.

Cafe Promenade is on the Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, & Quantum class    You walk up and  there's a case with a million little mini sandwiches,  You pick one and a server puts a few on your plate and you go.

That's the way it always has been for me.   Those of you who say this is nothing new --- I don't know where you've seen this.

Maybe it's a Vision-Class thing?   I've never sailed a vision class ship.

However, I sailed Serenade, a Radiance Class which had one of these little mini versions of a Park Cafe.   It was basically one dude at a tiny counter handing out random pre-made food.

I thought it was a bad idea.  It was no Park Cafe, nothing like it.

It served it's purpose some random place, open off-hours for a quite bite.  I went there a lot because I get hungry late night --- and we had early seating.   But even there, I never saw this plastic wrapped sealed grab and go type thing.

They guy still handed you what you want on a plate.

I get everyone has their own opinion --- but I have to agree with the spirit of the original poster, it LOOKS LIKE food you'd find on a shelf at a 7-11.  

It doesn't look like anything I would expect to see on a RCI ship.   It's certainly nothing I've ever seen on an RCI ship.

As someone booked on Vision and Enchantment right now, I'm really disappointed to see this.  It's just not the RCI I know.

If RCI said --- this helps keep norovirus down and that the only  reason we did it, I'd probably swallow it more easily.

But it's not what I expect from them.  Not what I'm used to, and while I agree with many of you, grabbing something to eat quickly is nice.   I've never had to wait long at all for a sandwich in Cafe Promenade, and it's a much nicer experience.

It just looks blah.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

So I usually avoid threads like this ---- with wild tangents --- people with different political (in this case environmental) beliefs etc.

That case of food looks bad.  It's messy, cheap looking, and invokes the spirit of a convenience store.  Many people like convenience stores and the grab and go mentality.  That's fine.   But I have never seen anything of the sort on a Royal Caribbean ship and I've been sailing with them since I was a kid.

Park Cafe is an Oasis class thing --- it's awesome.  You come in and you order a freshly made sandwich and it's given to you.

Cafe Promenade is on the Voyager, Freedom, Oasis, & Quantum class    You walk up and  there's a case with a million little mini sandwiches,  You pick one and a server puts a few on your plate and you go.

That's the way it always has been for me.   Those of you who say this is nothing new --- I don't know where you've seen this.

However, I sailed Serenade, a Radiance Class which had one of these little mini versions of a Park Cafe.   It was basically one dude at a tiny counter handing out random pre-made food.

It served it's purpose some random place, open off-hours for a quite bite.  I went there a lot because I get hungry late night --- and we had early seating.   But even there, I never saw this plastic wrapped sealed grab and go type thing.

I get everyone has their own opinion --- but I have to agree with the spirit of the original poster, it LOOKS LIKE food you'd find on a shelf at a 7-11.  

It doesn't look like anything I would expect to see on a RCI ship.   It's certainly nothing I've ever seen on an RCI ship.

As someone booked on Vision and Enchantment right now, I'm really disappointed to see this.  It's just not the RCI I know.

If RCI said --- this helps keep norovirus down and that the only  reason we did it, I'd probably swallow it more easily.

But it's not what I expect from them.  Not what I'm used to, and while I agree with many of you, grabbing something to eat quickly is nice.   I've never had to wait long at all for a sandwich in Cafe Promenade, and it's a much nicer experience.

It just looks blah.   

It is a simple thing to grab and put in your room's "fridge" for later at night when there are no other palatable options available.  The little sandwiches in the display case at Cafe Promenade are amazingly blech -- weird meat/cheese combinations, bland, dry, blech.

If you don't want or need something to grab-and-go, then it doesn't concern you and shouldn't disappoint you.  

I agree that the messy presentation here isn't appealing, but I also know that it's not the norm.  This looks like it was just ransacked by a bunch of heathen children on spring break with no adult supervision, and likely was tidied up and replenished within minutes of this photo being taken.  

But again, if you don't want a pre-made sandwich for a grab-and-go snack, then shuffle along, because this doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It is a simple thing to grab and put in your room's "fridge" for later at night when there are no other palatable options available.  The little sandwiches in the display case at Cafe Promenade are amazingly blech -- weird meat/cheese combinations, bland, dry, blech.

If you don't want or need something to grab-and-go, then it doesn't concern you and shouldn't disappoint you.  

I agree that the messy presentation here isn't appealing, but I also know that it's not the norm.  This looks like it was just ransacked by a bunch of heathen children on spring break with no adult supervision, and likely was tidied up and replenished within minutes of this photo being taken.  

But again, if you don't want a pre-made sandwich for a grab-and-go snack, then shuffle along, because this doesn't affect you in any way, shape, or form.

I find it disappointing if this is the norm for their "Park Cafe".

That's not what Park Cafe is like on any other ship I've been on,  you can look at my signature and I've been on a lot of them.

If there's a place to grab and go food and there's a big demand for it, to each his own.  I move on and it's as you said -- no bother to me. 

I am surprised by those who say this is nothing new.  Maybe it isn't but I've never ever seen it. 

If it is in fact something new,  I don't think it's a good idea to replace what Park Cafe typically is, with "that"

That's all.

58 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

It just looks blah.   

Not packaged but already made sandwichs been around at least since 1980's on Royal. Was served at Lunch in WindJammer, where I'd have take off my not wanted lettuce and also served as finger sandwich when they use to have Tea Time.... Oh and at one time on long 7-8hr excursions like to Tulum you would get a box lunch with a plastic wrapped sandwich in a actual cardboard cake box, this in early-mid 1990's

Edited by ONECRUISER

3 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not packaged but already made sandwichs been around at least since 1980's on Royal. Was served at Lunch in WindJammer and when they use to have Tea Time.... Oh and at one time on long 7-8hr excursions like to Tulum you would get a box lunch with a plastic wrapped sandwich in a actual cardboard cake box, this in early-mid 1990's

Man you are sooo old! 👍

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not packaged but already made sandwichs been around at least since 1980's on Royal. Was served at Lunch in WindJammer, where I'd have take off my not wanted lettuce and also served as finger sandwich when they use to have Tea Time.... Oh and at one time on long 7-8hr excursions like to Tulum you would get a box lunch with a plastic wrapped sandwich in a actual cardboard cake box, this in early-mid 1990's

Oh I totally agree they're already made,  the ones in Cafe Promenade are too.

Pre-packaging is what I haven't seen

On 2/24/2019 at 6:01 AM, Cowbert said:

GasStationFood.jpg

I have no problem with the packaging. My problem is with the lack of a list of ingredients. Nothing worst than tucking into a nice tasty Ham & Cheese sandwich only to find raw onion hidden by the lettuce :classic_sad:

6 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

That's not what Park Cafe is like on any other ship I've been on,  you can look at my signature and I've been on a lot of them.

If there's a place to grab and go food and there's a big demand for it, to each his own.  I move on and it's as you said -- no bother to me. 

I am surprised by those who say this is nothing new.  Maybe it isn't but I've never ever seen it. 

If it is in fact something new,  I don't think it's a good idea to replace what Park Cafe typically is, with "that"

That's all.

The grab and go sandwiches have been in Park Cafe for years, at least 7 that I can think of on Oasis.  They might been there since day one. On the odd occasion I’ll grab a tuna sandwich and a bag of chips and have it in my balcony. They aren’t for everybody but one can only each so many of their special roast beef sandwiches. 

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I too love some late night food (which RCI has lacked for years...even though I suggest it often) .... Thanks for the idea of getting these sandwiches and put in my fridge/cooler for a late night snack.

Those refrigerators are often not very strong. Be careful what you pick up and how long you store it.   

Good luck!

m

13 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Those refrigerators are often not very strong. Be careful what you pick up and how long you store it.   

Good luck!

m

The cabin refrigerators can be adjusted to a colder setting.  On our recent Symphony sail, my wife who is diabetic asked the cabin attendant if the refrigerators can be made colder to store her insulin.  The cabin attendant called maintenance.  They came up, took the refrigerator out and managed to make it much colder.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:56 AM, QueenofKrakatoa said:

Honestly they probably have to package it that way in accordance to new health and safety standards. I really don't see the issue here.

Seriously not trying to be a smartass but... All RCCL are Bahamas registered, correct?

I doubt the Bahamas instituted a health and safety standard that would require them to import more plastic.

16 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

That's all.

I think you're totally missing the point there. 

This is ONE SMALL CORNER of the entire Park Cafe.  

They still have sandwiches/paninis made to order.  They still have salads made to order.  They still have the "beef on Weck" roast beef sandwiches.  

The grab-and-go cooler is just a tiny bit of the overall eatery -- it isn't a "replacement" for the made-to-order foods that are available.  It is IN ADDITION TO the made-fresh-as-you-order items.  

That's why it's not a big effing deal.... you can still get what you want, and people who want a grab-and-go can get that.  EVERYBODY can get something that meets their needs.  

Do you get it now, or do you still have a problem with it????

18 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It just looks blah.   

Grab and Go food in plastic packaging?  nope, never seen it. Not even on Vision class.

20 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

It just looks blah.   

Nailed it 

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

We’ve been on 3/4 oasis class, and they are there.  And, I love the option!

Same here.  Will be on Symphony in 10 days and I bet it will have it too. I might eat one tuna sandwich the entire week but one can only eat so many roast beef on a bun. 

I am not sure why some are offended. It’s really no different than grab and go food at Sorrento's, the Dog House, and El Fresh Loco,  only it is packaged like “gas station food”.  Wait a second... sandwiches, hot dogs and burritos are all served at some gas stations.

The Horror.  The Horror. 😉

• Like 2