On Equinox now and motion sick..what to do

horatio123

My first two river cruises, I had spent the first night feeling off but thought it was the booze.  I think I am just one of those that cannot handle the slightest movement at night time.  Have been making it through the days pretty normally but my stomach gets away on me when I fall asleep.  This is only night two.  Started maybe too late with Bonine the first night and they here have switched me to their med and have taken it twice.  Someone on board advised I take Dramamine non drowsy....  Dont know what to do next but unless this does not get resolved  Im not a cruiser.

45 minutes ago, horatio123 said:

My first two river cruises, I had spent the first night feeling off but thought it was the booze.  I think I am just one of those that cannot handle the slightest movement at night time.  Have been making it through the days pretty normally but my stomach gets away on me when I fall asleep.  This is only night two.  Started maybe too late with Bonine the first night and they here have switched me to their med and have taken it twice.  Someone on board advised I take Dramamine non drowsy....  Dont know what to do next but unless this does not get resolved  Im not a cruiser.

Definately agree with the Dramamine non drowsy and the green apples.

Whilst it takes a bit of a ‘swell’ to make me queasy it is when I lie down I feel worse. Even on calm days I sleep with an extra pillow, I don’t know if it is a placebo effect or there is anything medically in it but I definitely feel better with my head propped higher...

Obviously eat little and often if you can, drink lots of sips of water....Drinks that are too cold (iced) can make me feel a little off, I find a cola (without ice) left to loose most of its fizz helps too.

Sincere best wishes that things improve....

Stay out on the open decks and look out at the horizon. Breathe the fresh air and enjoy the sight of the sea and the warmth. Let your body get used to the motion. Ride the gentle waves with your mind. Don’t fight it. Flow with it. Sleep outside under the stars. 

Also, you’ve been fearing sea sickness since before you stepped onto the ship. The mind is powerful. It’s a self fulfilling prophecy. Create a new narrative for yourself. 

If none of that works puke it out till you get off at the next port and fly home. 

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Where is your cabin?

Flat coke,

Flat ginger ale..

ask kitchen for some  grated ginger...smelling it helps too

Saltines...

Green apples...

Stay mid ships,  mid level as much as you can

If acupuncturist on board...try that

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

I prefer Bonine to non-drowsy Dramamine.  It lasts all day and doesn't make me sleepy.  Just be sure to stay on top of it.  Once you get sea sick, it takes longer to get it under control but it will kick in eventually.  And don't let your stomach get empty.  Tea and crackers help.  I've heard ginger but never tried it.  I hope you feel better soon!

We got seasick on an Azamara ship in the Irish Sea, and bought Seabands at the sundries store (in addition to getting the pills and ginger from Guest Services).  My husband thought the Seabands helped him.

Edited by hiccups

I'm so sorry to hear you going through this unsettling feeling. You may have a super sensitivity within your inner ear canal. A lot of seasickness "feeling" comes from an imbalance within that inner ear, where some people have issues with vertigo, etc.

If you have no bias to their help, you could venture to the Spa and speak with the acupuncturist onboard. They are (usually) very caring people and will be able to give you some simple, simple exercises to do that could help alleviate this feeling for you. Simple exercises involving clearing the inner ear canal. In any event, they will (usually) give you a free consultation that could be super helpful to you.

And, as people have mentioned, GREEN apples because they contain a very specific type of pectin that is necessary to help with that feeling. And the stomach settling medication is also helpful to a lot of people. Saltine crackers. Deep, focused breathing.

All good suggestions. As the 'Queen of Green' from childhood, I have used all of the suggestions, and find they work for all types of travel but especially cruising.

These are great...

"Flat coke,

Flat ginger ale..

ask kitchen for some  grated ginger...smelling it helps too

Saltines...

Green apples...

Stay mid ships,  mid level as much as you can

If acupuncturist on board...try that"

Ask for sea sickness remedies at the Passenger Desk.

Hope this settles for you. I can't give up cruisin' (some 45+ later) so I do a combo of things.

Happy sails!

I don't know if they have them on the ship, but my daughter, who gets motion sickness even thinking about what's coming, uses a patch behind her ear, and it works for her, even on a cruise. Once she let it wear off, and felt dizzy. Put another one on, and in a short while, she was fine.

• Like 1

It sure what cabin you are in but if it’s high up, and now or stern you could ask if they have another cabin low and midship. Even if it’s a lower cat, inside it’s better to take it, feel better, and take the loss. Then stick to river cruising from then on, ocean cruising is not for everyone.

When the Molecular bar is open, stop by and ask for some candied ginger. They usually have it on hand for drinks. Fresh air also helps. When dining, do not sit looking out at the ocean, the only time I’ve ever felt seasick was while havng lunch, sitting in the middle of the room and looking out at the waves!

I read many that prefer Dramamine non drowsy  or Bonine and claim one is better than the other.   If one looks at the label you will see they are they have the exact same active ingredient Meclizine HCL 25 mg.  You indicate that you are pretty much ok but at night time when sleeping is when you are experiencing the most distress.   I personally would suggest getting some Original Dramamine or Marezine or even Benadryl.   They will of course make you drowsy - for me they knock me out and calm my inner ear.

If it continues I would visit the Doctor and he may give you some patches or something else to assist.

To the OP.    I use to suffer from motion sickness very badly but after years of cruising no longer suffer even in the roughest seas.   It is important to first understand what causes motion sickness. 

Motion is sensed by the brain through different pathways of the nervous system including the inner ear, the eyes, and the tissues of the body surface.

When the body is moved intentionally, for example when walking, the input from all of the pathways are coordinated by our brain.

The symptoms of motion sickness appear when the central nervous system receives conflicting messages from the sensory systems: the inner ear, eyes, skin pressure receptors, and the muscle and joint sensory receptors.

As an example, if someone is sat on a boat or in a car (not looking out of a window), their inner ears sense movement up and down, left and right, but their eyes see a static view, as if they are not moving at all. It is hypothesized that the conflict among the inputs is responsible for motion sickness.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So sorry you aren't feeling well!  This won't help you now but I swear by ginger capsules and never cruise without them.  They don't make your mouth dried out and sleepy like Dramamine and the other meds do.  Whenever I start feeling a little off I start taking them.  Hope you feel better soon.  Also fresh air out on the deck helps.