Do people really steal toilet paper on the last night?

bigbeergut

10 hours ago, dateacher said:

Maybe they remove what's there so they can put a new roll in when they change over the cabin.  This way they know each cabin starts with a new roll. We have never had a shortage of toilet paper on the Summit, Reflection or Silhouette. 

This makes the most sense. Every cabin starts with a new roll. 

17 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

This makes the most sense. Every cabin starts with a new roll. 

I agree. They always do a little point fold on the TP in your bathroom. Would look odd on a half used roll. It's all about presentation. I once had a friend who used to clean offices and bathrooms and the toilet paper had to be replaced with new roll every night.

I could umderstant people taking a roll with them while visiting some ports but not at the end of a cruise.  

How many Martini glasses, cloth napkins, silverware, dishes, and towels and etc do you think leave the ship?

I worked in a auto manufacturing company.   Back in the 60’s a worker was fired for stealing TP.    Management refused to hire him back and the union claimed it wasn’t equal justice as others stealing much more were.

The manager  said that he could not justify anyone working for him  making the wages he did to be  so  low and cheap to have to steal TP.  The accused response was that he couldn’t find anywhere that had the same quality and rolls that big.    The paper was that that junk that was like slick wrapping paper, single ply and so thin you could see thru it.  

A local  restaurant owner  told us the biggest theft items are the sweetener packs, and salt and pepper shakers.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I agree. They always do a little point fold on the TP in your bathroom. Would look odd on a half used roll. It's all about presentation

In most 4-5 star hotels, when a guest checks out, any roll on the toilet paper holder, which is less than 3/4 full, is removed and replaced with a full roll for the next guest.  All the partial rolls which are removed are brought to staff bathrooms. 

With all the crew on board, this is probably the Celebrity procedure as well.   I doubt they throw away all the used rolls.

Some stewards may shortcut the system by removing full rolls the night before and saving them for the morning because it's easier for them. Maybe, from experience, they've learned supply closets run out on checkout/checkin day and it's a pain to get toilet paper from the general supply room.   I'm sure if a guest needed more toilet paper in the morning before departure, all they have to do is ask for it.

None of this means a lot of guests are stealing the ship toilet paper and packing it to take home. 

Edited by mfs2k

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I agree. They always do a little point fold on the TP in your bathroom. Would look odd on a half used roll. It's all about presentation. I once had a friend who used to clean offices and bathrooms and the toilet paper had to be replaced with new roll every night.

I heard one theory about them folding the TP was so they remembered that they serviced it when cleaning the room.  

One comics comment was do they do that so we could use the point to clean out the small crevices?  💩

He then went  on saying to have to have a little fun with them put the fold back after using so they will think and wonder if you ever used the toilet during you whole cruise.  🤔😱

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌊

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Very simple, some people are just really that cheap....

If they steal the items mentioned in this thread, that is not cheap that is deviate behavior IMHO.  They most likely do not brush their teeth, wash their hands, they probably pick their noses and wipe it where they can, don't flush the toilet, and a host of other disgusting habits. 

I hope that I have never sat around them nor had them as stablemates in the past.  

And we wonder why companies do petty control programs.  

Edited by shipshape sam

1 hour ago, miched said:

A local  restaurant owner  told us the biggest theft items are the sweetener packs, and salt and pepper shakers.  

I once worked with a lady who used to steal Splenda from the kitchen. I once caught her and her excuse was she's diabetic.  She had a very well paying job and could easily afford. Guess it was the thrill but in the end we all pay the price.

Once, way back when, my very unhappy father, manipulating plumbing tools at the time, explained to me in quite exasperated tones that toilet paper is designed to fall apart, and that tissue like Kleenex is designed to stay together, and that they are not interchangeable.

Best to request a new roll--if you notice it is low before "awkward"!

9 hours ago, 4liberty said:

Why anyone who could afford a cruise would steal THAT toilet paper is beyond me. It’s awful! I’m often tempted to bring my own, but I know it would clog the system, so I resist.

Just because you are on a cruise does not mean you could afford it. I would go further to say there is quite a few on each cruise who did not pay a dime. 

5 hours ago, simon stingray said:

I watched a programme on tv a while ago about hotels and one of the hotel managers stated that some guests regularly steal the light bulbs out of the room and bathroom before checking out.

Some people are incredibly cheap. In the mid 1980's I did a lot of traveling. One individual that I traveled with took burnt out light bulbs from home and replaced them in the motel lamps, taking the good bulbs home. 

On my last job, rolls of toilet paper disappeared on the time. Cleaning services would put three rolls of unopened toilet paper on top of the toilet tank. By noon time, 75% of the rolls disappeared. 

17 hours ago, bkbarrym said:

Trying to understand why anyone would even want to take the toilet paper. Memento??

LOL. I saw Jerry Springer: The Opera in a theater in London a dozen or so years ago. I used the loo during intermission, and they had special Jerry Springer: The Opera toilet paper in the stalls. So I took a few squares as a souvenir. Still have it in a box somewhere.

7 hours ago, rolloman said:

Just because you are on a cruise does not mean you could afford it. I would go further to say there is quite a few on each cruise who did not pay a dime. 

They can afford the cruise by using the money they saved taking the toilet paper.  💸💰

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh yes- people do steel TP. We run a little chain of 15 cafe´s - family business- we have learned the hard way- we were forever replacing stolen TP in our restrooms- well there has always to be an extra supply just in case. We installed nice and elegant looking new holders with can hold 3 rolls - the customer has just to push a little botton an the new one appears!

Those holders can only be opend with a key - so in other words - yes those rolls of TP are in " safe"!

People do the strangest things when they feel unobserved- just look around you at a red traffic light- i bet every second driver has one of his fingers in his ( or her, for that matter)  nose - sometimes up to the brain! LOL

Edited by Germancruiser

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

People do the strangest things when they feel unobserved- just look around you at a red traffic light- i bet every second driver has one of his fingers in his ( or her, for that matter)  nose - sometimes up to the brain! LOL

In some cases unable to find any grey matter, for that matter. Or anything else to pick. For that matter. 🙂

Oooh the things I have seen on cruiseships.....Before drink packages........We ate at the captains table with 10-12 people.  After the meal I forgot my specs and dashed back to the table.  There were two of the dinner guests pouring the leftover wine from everyone's wine glasses into their own glasses to take out of the dining room with them???????  Couldn't believe it!  disgusting!

Stealing toiletpaper.......a walk in the park......

Never noticed this before... we always had a spare roll. But the ships toilet paper is so soft and thick 🙂 ... maybe that is why someone might steal it.... Perhaps people who have their own boat need to stockup on marine grade paper. LOL

I noticed the same thing on Silhouette the last night, the spare roll that had been there the whole cruise disappeared and I know DH and I didn't use it! I just assumed that they did this so they could start the new cruisers with two new rolls. I did see someone in the OVC who took ice cream bowls after eating their ice cream and put them in the tote they had every day. I'm still shaking my head about that one!

7 hours ago, cruiseerf said:

Oooh the things I have seen on cruiseships.....Before drink packages........We ate at the captains table with 10-12 people.  After the meal I forgot my specs and dashed back to the table.  There were two of the dinner guests pouring the leftover wine from everyone's wine glasses into their own glasses to take out of the dining room with them???????  Couldn't believe it!  disgusting!

Stealing toiletpaper.......a walk in the park......

The military term (at least in the British Army) for clearing the leftovers is minesweeping,

Back in the 1980s I owned an National Import company. Some of the products were from the UK.  Acrylic Salt and Pepper mills in particular.  Sold at the high end retailers in the US.  I had a gross of them sent to my Country Club as a nice gesture. They were on each table in the dining room. Within one month they were all gone.  Goes to show what greed does to people.  No one even asked if they could buy them. 

I am of the very limited number who belive that this is about the presentation for the embarkation of a new guest. I think it makes a very strong impression to have a full roll on the first day. Just like brand new soap.

I really think this is marketing to the ambiance of the experience.