Vision Class Being Sold?

DDG 41

With over 6 new ships in the next decade does anyone know if we could see the next set of vision class ships leaving the fleet anytime soon. Joining both Splendour of the seas and Legend of the seas being sent to subsidiaries and joint ventures. Or is there still a long future and part for these ships in RCI's fleet.

17 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

With over 6 new ships in the next decade does anyone know if we could see the next set of vision class ships leaving the fleet anytime soon. Joining both Splendour of the seas and Legend of the seas being sent to subsidiaries and joint ventures. Or is there still a long future and part for these ships in RCI's fleet.

Ive been on both Legend and Splendour since they have become TUI ships (In fact my first cruise was on the newly renovated Legend of the Seas In 2017).  They are great ships, but I guess they are not in the direction of travel for the big companies like RC as all new orders are just bigger and bigger.

im going on Oasis this summer, which will be my first time on of these modern mega ships, so will be interesting to compare.

Have to wonder however if certain ports will just not be viable for these huge ships, so if they lose the smaller ships from the fleet, will they just stop serving some of the ports these ships frequent today?

Edited by rattla

2 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

We loved Splendour, Enchantment and Vision when we sailed on them.

I found Vision and Enchantment lovely but needing a refresh and lacking all the family friendly activities on Oasis class ship's.

I hope they keep Vision ships.

This thread should be titled "speculation".  Any ship can be sold at any time.  Vision class isn't old by maritime standards and a lot of us still love the smaller ships and the relaxation they bring. Hey, it's the main reason Grandeur consistently sells out well before sailings in Baltimore.  Ships don't have to be "family friendly" which I guess you think means non stop activities, to be popular and continue to sail.  There are more than active families on cruises you know.  

Grandeur is consistently claimed to have the friendliest crew and having been on her multiple times, I agree.  You don't get that on the larger ships, especially Oasis class, which we've also been on.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rattla said:

Have to wonder however if certain ports will just not be viable for these huge ships, so if they lose the smaller ships from the fleet, will they just stop serving some of the ports these ships frequent today?

Yes.  Certain ports are not viable for the larger class like Oasis.  For example, they will never go to a tender port.  Imagine 6,000 passengers trying to tender to and from shore.  Grand Cayman is out for Oasis class.   I suspect that Royal Caribbean will always keep a smaller class, be it Radiance class or smaller for many of the world's ports.  

Many Ports of call are enlarging and expanding to handle the bigger ships . 

As example like Costa Maya , Grand Caymen , Cuba and many others . 

Royal is participating in funding these improvements. 

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Pure speculation here, but i think if a ship is profitable, it will stay in the fleet. 

Totally agree. Royal seems to want to expand the size of its fleet and passenger capacity while offering something for everyone.

As long as the smaller/older ships continue to sell, they will be around. Maybe not all but most.....purely my speculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Pure speculation here, but i think if a ship is profitable, it will stay in the fleet. 

Another +1 to that statement.  

No reason to get rid of a profit making item that is 100% paid for.  Until there are no more people going cruising, there's no economic reason to get rid of any ship.  Especially when ships like the Vision can port in places that make different money- like Baltimore,.  

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Especially when ships like the Vision can port in places that make different money- like Baltimore,.  

Grandeur  consistently has some of the lowest per day rates of any non repo sailings- I have a feeling the profits from other ships are subsidizing its existence. 

• Haha 2

Found it strange that RCI bought back the Empress, and cancelled the sale on Majesty...but supposedly it was to be able to call on Cuba.  Though they sold Splendour and Legend.  

Miss the Legend, love the Vision class series.  

Had lunch with IT manager on Rhapsody two years ago, who told us she was being sold the end of the year...but she is still here.  🙂 

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Grandeur  consistently has some of the lowest per day rates of any non repo sailings- I have a feeling the profits from other ships are subsidizing its existence. 

I don't see that.   You also have to look at the amenities onboard to do a real comparison of cost.  The Grandeur costs a lot less to operate per person than the larger ships.  Too many variables to make that sweeping statement.

Edited by BND

Baltimore area cruisers love the Grandeur. Multiple repeated cruisers. Loyal to RCL. I’m sure they know that in Miami corporate. The uproar would be overwhelming. 

We have enjoyed the Visions Grandeur and other RCL small ships multiple times.

Certain ports can’t accommodate the bigger ship. But who really knows what RCL plans are? The bottom line is what fuels the industry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

I just hope RCL continues to offer 4/5 night cruises.  I just cannot be gone 7 nights (plus one for day before arrival).

Voyager class taking on those runs it seems

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't see that.   You also have to look at the amenities onboard to do a real comparison of cost.  The Grandeur costs a lot less to operate per person than the larger ships.  Too many variables to make that sweeping statement.

Why do you think that? Pretty much similar number of officers as a mega ship carrying twice the passengers. Less fuel efficient, more upkeep, etc..

It may be paid for, but pretty sure shes used as collateral on the newer line of credit, so she still has debt service.

11 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Baltimore area cruisers love the Grandeur. Multiple repeated cruisers. Loyal to RCL. I’m sure they know that in Miami corporate. The uproar would be overwhelming. 

We have enjoyed the Visions Grandeur and other RCL small ships multiple times.

Certain ports can’t accommodate the bigger ship. But who really knows what RCL plans are? The bottom line is what fuels the industry. 

Will a Radiance ship fit into Baltimore?

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Why do you think that? Pretty much similar number of officers as a mega ship carrying twice the passengers. Less fuel efficient, more upkeep, etc..

It may be paid for, but pretty sure shes used as collateral on the newer line of credit, so she still has debt service.

There's overall less crew on Vision class.  Less entertainment staff.  Less bartenders, waiters, stewards.  Less high tech maintenance issues (bionic bars, rising tide, ifly, flowrider, just pure square footage).  Officers are always a small percentage of the entire crew on a ship.  

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Can't say that we've consistently noticed that, as, if it were true and consistent, we would be sailing out of Baltimore a whole lot more.  By far, it's the cheapest place for us to fly to.  We search every port in North America when the time comes to find something, and we don't find it as cheap as you suggest.

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Yes.  Certain ports are not viable for the larger class like Oasis.  For example, they will never go to a tender port.  Imagine 6,000 passengers trying to tender to and from shore.  Grand Cayman is out for Oasis class.   I suspect that Royal Caribbean will always keep a smaller class, be it Radiance class or smaller for many of the world's ports.  

This and other reasons too. If it was really such a bad idea to keep these ships around, Royal would have sold them already.

• Like 1