Vision Class Being Sold?

DDG 41

54 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I agree if it's simply for revenue, but if it's to better preserve the island then it may be the best solution.  I don't expect it to increase the size of ship though that can visit the island - likely just increase the probability ships can continue to visit.

The article said that Oasis will be accomodated

12 hours ago, smalltimecruiser100 said:

We are on the Rhapsody out of Tampa in Nov and looking forward to this size ship. Have also been on Enchantment when it was out of Baltimore and had one of the newer cabins from the strech.

We really want to try smaller next, and I've done Majesty, granted for a 3N and that was more of a party, but I didn't mind the smaller size (but that room was tiny!) but we're hoping to do a smaller ship off season next and don't think we'll mind less.  We expect in many ways for it to feel like more to us.

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'll bet Carnival Mardi Gras will be using that pier as well.

And at some point at the same time!  We may still skip it if on a cruise.  We'll likely stick still to land based there though it's always hard to choose what island if not doing a cruise 🙂

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

And at some point at the same time!  We may still skip it if on a cruise.  We'll likely stick still to land based there though it's always hard to choose what island if not doing a cruise 🙂

They should just contract with China or UAE to make some new Islands. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With the demand and untapped marketplace for cruising ,  there are many new ship orders for larger ships . The  cruise lines need homeports and ports of call to accommodate all these new larger ships coming to the market . Reason  the cruise lines are investing so heavily in home ports and destinations commensurate with the size of new ships . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I kinda doubt any RCI ship will get the Magic Carpet from the Edge class.

Thank god.

I was thinking more along the terms of cost, itinerary, cuisine, etc..

They just don't seem that different.

Not having a ship next door is holding me back. Tampa would be fine

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I was thinking more along the terms of cost, itinerary, cuisine, etc..

They just don't seem that different.

Isn't Royal for the younger, more active families, hence the Flowriders, rock climbing walls and Quest shows ,while Celebrity is the more refined, couple oriented, more mature cruise line, a bit quieter, better dining, etc .

Just now, HBE4 said:

Isn't Royal for the younger, more active families, hence the Flowriders, rock climbing walls and Quest shows ,while Celebrity is the more refined, couple oriented, more mature cruise line, a bit quieter, better dining, etc .

Yep, that's the way they are marketed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I know I need to try it myself but from what I've read, even with grains of salt, it seems celebrity is lacking some activities those of us caught between the flowriders and full maturity would still prefer 🙂  I do hope to try X though but probably after reaching diamond for some status match if it helps at all, for now I may just stick to the older Royal ships for my mid-ground 🙂

37 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

36 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I'm sorry, one would think that, but I dont see it in the marketing.  I see free liquor and kids sail free.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I know I need to try it myself but from what I've read, even with grains of salt, it seems celebrity is lacking some activities those of us caught between the flowriders and full maturity would still prefer 🙂  I do hope to try X though but probably after reaching diamond for some status match if it helps at all, for now I may just stick to the older Royal ships for my mid-ground 🙂

You can do 7 night Alaska for $349. Crazy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You can do 7 night Alaska for $349. Crazy

You had me at $349!  Score!  We do have Alaska on our list, likely for 2021, I'm not sure how much we'll pull off in 2020 despite much wanting - it's the wedding for my oldest I'm paying for in 2019 that will likely kill that budget, and we're not even going crazy!  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 2:26 PM, Host Clarea said:

I've heard talk about a pier at Grand Cayman for years, but I don't think they have committed to a pier.

The locals are fighting against it big time.  And there are some very wealthy locals living on that island.  $$$ talks.  😉 

On 3/23/2019 at 7:09 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I just hope RCL continues to offer 4/5 night cruises.  I just cannot be gone 7 nights (plus one for day before arrival).

The shorter cruises seem to be quite popular, so I think you're good to go. The new 2020-21 deployment has lots of options- 3/4N Bahamas from MIA/PC on Mariner/Navigator, 4/5N from Galveston on Adventure, 4/5N from Fort Lauderdale on Indy, 4/5N from Tampa on Brilliance, 5N from Miami on Explorer. 

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

On 3/23/2019 at 7:09 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I just hope RCL continues to offer 4/5 night cruises.  I just cannot be gone 7 nights (plus one for day before arrival).

Interesting as I hope RCI keeps offering 7 and 8/6 night cruises because I am not getting on a plane for anything less than 7 nights.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, ShillyShally said:

Wow, very interested to follow this!  We love Grand Cayman but I'll be really curious how they build this given their reefs and how they protect them.  But I also hate tendering so we rarely get off on a cruise here but have done land based vacations there.

My guess is that money talks. Bermuda was much more restrictive years ago as to what they would let sail in and even the number of passengers that could be landed during the cruise season but that all seems to have fallen by the wayside.  I am sure Grand Cayman sees the pier and larger ships as a nice revenue stream and apparently they even have the cruise lines on board to defray the cost of the pier. They will find some way to deal with the reefs.