Elderly women gets revenge on a chair hog

sandycruzr

12 hours ago, frteach said:

Since there is no way of testing the veracity of the original story, I remain skeptical that it ever occurred. Makes an good story to start a thread, and stimulate commentary. Louboutin shoes at poolside? Forgot that she was wearing shoes? Older person gets revenge on "entitled" young person? No consequences for her own inappropriate behaviour? There is a problem with seat saving, chair hogs, etc. but this is hardly an example of a way to deal with it, if indeed it ever happened. 

Wow!  That is really so mean! I don’t appreciate your insinuation that I fabricated the story. That’s really shameful and perhaps the reason why people are not participating in Meet and Greets or posting as much as they used to.  So much negativity! 

This is my final post about this occurrence. It is truthful and it did in fact happen.  Part of what made is so humorous to me and those around me was the ridiculousness of the young lady’s choice of very inappropriate footwear and the fact that she would walk away leaving the very expensive shoes behind! Nobody in their right mind would wear those to a pool   And she did not use them to save her chair...after her verbal attack on the elderly woman, she stormed off without them. 

Furthermore I clearly stated that I don’t condone the behavior Insimply thought the entire incident was so bizarre, it was funny!

Enough said...

• Like 9

saving seats for more than 1 person is just being obnoxious. unfortunately on Celebrity I have found many people holding many seats.  If the cruise had enough chaises for each person, then nobody would need to hold chairs.  Either increase the number of chaises or decrease the number of cruisers.  The holding of seats in the Celebrity theater is also out of sight.  One night I walked into the theater. There were many unoccupied seats. Evey time I went to sit down, a rude person told me that was for somebody else.  It has happened too many times.  I solved the problem by not going to the shows.  I can see them later on the cabin tv.  They aren't that good.  It avoids the rush of people leaving the theater early.  I also find the section saved for suites on chic nights is wrong.  If you want to watch the show or sit by the pool, find an unoccupied chair and sit in it. The worst problem on my last cruise wasn't in the theater or at the pool.  It was at the buffet.  Hunting for a table to eat at was a real chore.  I have more luck at my local mall food court.  People sit at the buffet tables for long times.  They keep adding more cabins, let kids sail free, and don't increase the seating at the buffet.  What's missing?  Me. 

Well- there might be a reason people tend to sit longer in the buffet restaurant- when they remove the Card rooms- where should people sit and play cards- use the Ipad´s - the list goes on and on!

Those chairs in the lounges are bit low..! So the only solution might be the buffet restaurant! I personally avoid the buffet and go for the MDR for lunch- the same goes for breakfast!

50 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Well- there might be a reason people tend to sit longer in the buffet restaurant- when they remove the Card rooms- where should people sit and play cards- use the Ipad´s - the list goes on and on!

Those chairs in the lounges are bit low..! So the only solution might be the buffet restaurant! I personally avoid the buffet and go for the MDR for lunch- the same goes for breakfast!

It is just very inconsiderate to sit and play cards or use an Ipad, when you see people walking around with plates of food looking for a place to sit down and eat.  Folks don't have to play cards, etc. in the buffet during meal times, it is not going to ruin their vacation if they don't play for a couple of hours.  Ipads can be used anywhere, they don't have to take up space in the buffet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

saving seats for more than 1 person is just being obnoxious. unfortunately on Celebrity I have found many people holding many seats.  If the cruise had enough chaises for each person, then nobody would need to hold chairs.  Either increase the number of chaises or decrease the number of cruisers.  The holding of seats in the Celebrity theater is also out of sight.  One night I walked into the theater. There were many unoccupied seats. Evey time I went to sit down, a rude person told me that was for somebody else.  It has happened too many times.  I solved the problem by not going to the shows.  I can see them later on the cabin tv.  They aren't that good.  It avoids the rush of people leaving the theater early.  I also find the section saved for suites on chic nights is wrong.  If you want to watch the show or sit by the pool, find an unoccupied chair and sit in it. The worst problem on my last cruise wasn't in the theater or at the pool.  It was at the buffet.  Hunting for a table to eat at was a real chore.  I have more luck at my local mall food court.  People sit at the buffet tables for long times.  They keep adding more cabins, let kids sail free, and don't increase the seating at the buffet.  What's missing?  Me. 

I once saved seats for my daughter and wife while they went to the ladies room.  That makes me obnoxious I guess.   

• Haha 1

On an Eclipse cruise there was a Broadway matinee last sea day which my son and I decided to go to. I was in a wheelchair at the time so we went early to ensure I had a spot. We needn’t have worried the theatre was really quiet...

We ordered a drink and started enjoying the pre show entertainment. An elderly man was saving six seats in the middle of the front row of the theatre. He balanced his cap on top of one end of ‘his row’ and a jacket at the other...

With the theatre nearly empty he continued to prowl his six seats until the show began....No companions turned up and as the lights went down he gathered his cap and jacket and left!

On the same ship but another cruise I was parked in a wheelchair slot and a lady in a scooter asked if I would move my chair to the other side as I was in her favourite spot! I happily did so but spent most of the show wondering how one wheelchair spot to the right of centre was better than the one to the left?!?!?

As the old saying goes “There’s nowt so strange as folks...”.

Edited by chemmo

17 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Personally, the Old Lady should have taken the seat- but had no right to throw away somebodies personal property- Hope that this is a joke and not a real story.  If real, the old lady should have just left the shoes under the chair or given them to the security staff.  I agree that the old lady committed a crime when she touched and threw away somebodies property.  She should be held responsible- and you were a witness to the crime.

Louboutin shoes could cost well over $1000. 

The Old Lively Lady had every right to throw away the shoes.

The shoes posed a serious thread to health and safety, if an elderly person or child had tripped over them and were injured and also "stabbed" by the stilletto heals, there would have been a huge cry against the cruise line.

So well done Old (in age but n ot in mind) Lively Lady.

Entitlement has to work for all parties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

The Old Lively Lady had every right to throw away the shoes.

The shoes posed a serious thread to health and safety, if an elderly person or child had tripped over them and were injured and also "stabbed" by the stilletto heals, there would have been a huge cry against the cruise line.

So well done Old (in age but n ot in mind) Lively Lady.

Entitlement has to work for all parties.

while I think this is a joke, how many times do people at the pool leave their shoes at the entrance to the hot tub and pool making it unsafe as people may trip   I typical kick them to a side.  Perhaps I should just throw them in the garbage or hot tub   Same when they sit on the loungers   Shoes should be under your chair or in your pool bag.  pool etiquette 101.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

while I think this is a joke, how many times do people at the pool leave their shoes at the entrance to the hot tub and pool making it unsafe as people may trip   I typical kick them to a side.  Perhaps I should just throw them in the garbage or hot tub   Same when they sit on the loungers   Shoes should be under your chair or in your pool bag.  pool etiquette 101.

So the Old Lively Lady is just like you.

She too kicked the shoes aside and luckily or unluckily they landed in the trash can.

She'sd having a test game with the Dallas Mavericks next week.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

LOL

It's great when there is a discussion and have a laugh at the end.

One of the resaons why I find this Celebrity board so great, there can be differences of opinions but the "opponents" are always show courtesy and civilised beheavour towards each other. This doesn't happen on most of the other boards here.

Have a great next cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I once saved seats for my daughter and wife while they went to the ladies room.  That makes me obnoxious I guess.   

Not at all.  What I find obnoxious is when one person saves a whole row of seats......for their extended group of family and friends.  If there were enough seats for everyone who wants to go to a show, then there might not be the seat holding.  While every cruise is different, my recent experience was enough to turn me off.  Celebrity has added more cabins to many ships. The size of the public spaces has not been increased to handle the extra people.  M ships added cabins on deck 3 and aqua class cabins on deck 11. New renovations add more cabins where the ilounge, acupuncture, and library were on the original deck plan.  The Reflection added a whole extra deck of cabins compared to other S class ships. Again, no extra room or seats in public areas.  Added to that, kids sail free. I can imagine an even greater number of people trying to use the same number of seats.  I go on vacation to relax, have a good time, and enjoy the food and activities.  I do not want to deal with people holding seats for people who may or may not ever show up to occupy those seats.   When Celebrity started sailing, the ship size was ideal.  My first Celebrity cruise was on the Zenith.  There was always enough seats in all venues . Never had to hunt for a seat.  The service and food were fabulous.  As time as passed by, the original Celebrity died.  While the ships are glitzy and have more bells and whistles, it has poorer service. Food choices are stale. Quality of the food is just ok.  It isn't bad. It isn't great. As an elite plus, I have experienced the gradual changes over the past 3 decades.  I have 5 future cruises booked, none on Celebrity.  I am not sure if I ever will book on Celebrity again.

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

When did they remove the card rooms?

We were on the Silhouette in Jan. and the card room was still there.

Does Reflection still have a card room?

51 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

When did they remove the card rooms?

We were on the Silhouette in Jan. and the card room was still there.

Does Reflection still have a card room?

Becoming inside cabins after they have been through the ‘Revolution’.

28 minutes ago, villauk said:

Becoming inside cabins after they have been through the ‘Revolution’.

not good.

When will this take place?

Sorry for changing the subject! As to the subject, the young girl should not have reserved an empty chair for so many hours and the elderly lady should not have thrown away her shoes, whatever the cost. 

Edited by cantstopingcruising

19 hours ago, CardRock said:

On Equiniox it looks like the Library is staying put, but the Card Room will become 4 somewhat odd shaped interior cabins. 

BEFORE

image.png.50b394809df29c113eb4aac4c8a78a9a.png

AFTER

image.png.c3401911916210a1b4cb72eaac18c3ec.png

BEFORE

image.png.4a69a2d0559847ca50774ae936be5352.png

AFTER

image.png.dc6074975e15e5d415a62c86ea00e154.png

13 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

not good.

When will this take place?

See above post from S class Revolution thread regarding changes.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:04 AM, Hlitner said:

Must admit that we love the tale, whether true or not :).  But tossing personal items in the trash is really not the best approach.  What we have done is to pick up all the personal effects that are on the lounger and take them to one of the "Pool Butlers" with the comment that we found the stuff and it needs to go to lost and found.  We have done this on several cruise lines and it is quite effective.    The last time we did this, DW and I sat in the chairs for an entire morning and most of the afternoon.  Finally, about 3pm some folks showed-up and told us we were in "their chairs."  We explained that we had been sitting there for hours (very true).  When they asked if we knew about their stuff we just smiled and suggested they contact lost and found.

On our last Reflection cruise (in the Caribbean), DW and I decided to stay aboard while we were at most of the ports (been to the ports 40+ times and prefer the ship).  There was a group of about 10 folks who would put towels and personal stuff on a group of chairs before they went ashore at the ports.  These folks would not return until late afternoon and then claim their chairs.  After about a week, one of the pool staff got wise and did finally remove all their stuff.  It was amusing to watch their reaction when they all returned from shore to find they not only had no chairs, but all their personal stuff had disappeared.  One of the ladies was actually quite nice and we later had a chat.  She told us that "nobody cared" that they saved chairs on port days and they simply wanted to make sure they had chairs in the shade....during late afternoon. 

Hank

Since my wife and I enjoy sea days in Port , we often observe this same behavior.  Very surprising to me.

Edited by jagoffee

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Not at all.  What I find obnoxious is when one person saves a whole row of seats......for their extended group of family and friends.  If there were enough seats for everyone who wants to go to a show, then there might not be the seat holding.  While every cruise is different, my recent experience was enough to turn me off.  Celebrity has added more cabins to many ships. The size of the public spaces has not been increased to handle the extra people.  M ships added cabins on deck 3 and aqua class cabins on deck 11. New renovations add more cabins where the ilounge, acupuncture, and library were on the original deck plan.  The Reflection added a whole extra deck of cabins compared to other S class ships. Again, no extra room or seats in public areas.  Added to that, kids sail free. I can imagine an even greater number of people trying to use the same number of seats.  I go on vacation to relax, have a good time, and enjoy the food and activities.  I do not want to deal with people holding seats for people who may or may not ever show up to occupy those seats.   When Celebrity started sailing, the ship size was ideal.  My first Celebrity cruise was on the Zenith.  There was always enough seats in all venues . Never had to hunt for a seat.  The service and food were fabulous.  As time as passed by, the original Celebrity died.  While the ships are glitzy and have more bells and whistles, it has poorer service. Food choices are stale. Quality of the food is just ok.  It isn't bad. It isn't great. As an elite plus, I have experienced the gradual changes over the past 3 decades.  I have 5 future cruises booked, none on Celebrity.  I am not sure if I ever will book on Celebrity again.

Yeah, I have to agree things are not the same.  I still enjoy and think I get a lot for the $$.   I do try to avoid the mega ships.  

I almost, kinda, sorta, maybe can accept someone saving a bunch of seats.  But when there are no-shows, forget it! 

I miss the old days when you would see the deck steward at the beginning of the cruise and reserve and pay a nominal fee for your deck chair for the entire cruise. The deck stewards would be sure to remove any interlopers.  One would think that Celebrity et al could come up with a better system. 

2 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I miss the old days when you would see the deck steward at the beginning of the cruise and reserve and pay a nominal fee for your deck chair for the entire cruise. The deck stewards would be sure to remove any interlopers.  One would think that Celebrity et al could come up with a better system. 

Titanic? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1