Elderly women gets revenge on a chair hog

sandycruzr

On 4/4/2019 at 10:04 PM, Marelaine said:

A few years ago, we were on Silhouette. For some reason, the seat saving in the theater was extreme. Every night, the seat savers would arrive early and reserve entire rows for their friends. We had watched one particular 'gentleman' guard his row each evening. On the last night, we decided to test him. He had reserved the row along the mid-level rail and was standing at the center aisle denying other passengers entry. So we slipped into 'his' row from the other end. Soon after, three women asked if we were saving the next seats. Of course not, please sit down. We had annexed a total of five seats before the 'gentleman' noticed. He told us those seats were saved for his wife's friends. I told him he was mistaken as saving seats in the theater was not allowed. Our three new friends also declined to move.  Five minutes into the show, the wife and her friends showed up and she was furious that he had screwed up the one job she had given him. Five of her friends had to find other seats and she gave him the cold shoulder throughout the show.

I have never understood saving seats in a theater...why?  You can't talk to the people in your row. Pointless!   I've never done this even on our family reunion cruise.  If they aren't there when the theater opens and walk in with you, they are on their own.  You can talk anywhere later...duh!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Agree with you. While it makes for a funny story at first, the elderly lady may actually have committed a crime by tossing the shoes in the trash and I think that could certainly cause a problem for her if discovered. 

Sherri🙂

I wouldn't have touched her shoes, just would've said "You should have kept up with the shoes just like you should have with your chair"

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I have never understood saving seats in a theater...why?  You can't talk to the people in your row. Pointless!   I've never done this even on our family reunion cruise.  If they aren't there when the theater opens and walk in with you, they are on their own.  You can talk anywhere later...duh!

Agree. However theater chair hogs make for some funny pre show entertainment. Watching the chair hog frantically trying to stop others from taking the seats. 😃

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I understand many think that we must never get confrontational and let staff take care of it. But they don't take care of it!

And when someone goes crazy and curses and carries on, I've got to wonder if maybe we need to stand up for ourselves. Which this woman did.

Would I have tossed her shoes...no.

But give me a few more years or maybe a decade.

Edited by Cruise it or lose it
  • Like 2

The most egregious theater hogs I have encountered were four pre-teen girls who entered the balcony of the theater at the last minute and perched themselves on the front ledge, not only dangerous to themselves, but blocking the view of all those behind them. Initially there was lots of grumbling from the audience but nobody did anything.  Finally I left my seat, marched up to the girls and in my best "teacher voice" said, "Young ladies,  get off that balcony ledge this very minute and find another seat!" Then I stood and glared at them until they finally complied.  I still have no idea where their parents were. 

Edited by lynncarol
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, charlielinda said:

My husband won’t let me but ... about 8 in the morning I want to move everyone’s things ... hat to one chair, shoe to another on the other side with someone else’s book and on and on.  Mass chaos.  I can dream.  

I have to meet you.  That's exactly what I would like to do.  We could do it in half the time and then sit back and enjoy the entertainment.:classic_biggrin:  Another good move is to tilt the chair and let the stuff fall to the ground (you're not touching anything), then take the chair!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just cannot wait until I get a little older, as there are so many things that I am looking forward to doing...of course, only if something presents itself...

Once a practical joker; always a practical joker...TeaBag & charlielinda, I love how you think!

Edited by Lastdance

10 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I don't get it, either. It's fine to save a seat for a spouse or traveling companion, who has stopped in the restroom on the way to the theater. There is no reason that 12 adults need to sit together to watch a show. 

• Like 3

I think saving 1 seat for a spouse or traveling partner is perfectly fine. But I’ve been given a hard time and pressured to give up a seat I’m saving for my husband several times. And yes, he arrives before the show starts, or of course I’d consider the seat fair game for anyone to slip into at that point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marelaine said:

I don't get it, either. It's fine to save a seat for a spouse or traveling companion, who has stopped in the restroom on the way to the theater. There is no reason that 12 adults need to sit together to watch a show. 

Agree.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

I think saving 1 seat for a spouse or traveling partner is perfectly fine. But I’ve been given a hard time and pressured to give up a seat I’m saving for my husband several times. And yes, he arrives before the show starts, or of course I’d consider the seat fair game for anyone to slip into at that point. 

Of course that's perfectly fine. Those you've encountered are jerks. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NanaChar said:

Maybe I am crazy but why wear Louboutin shoes to the pool and how could you possibly forget them?  

11 minutes ago, NanaChar said:

Maybe I am crazy but why wear Louboutin shoes to the pool and how could you possibly forget them?  

That’s what I thought when it happened...they were high heeled black pumps not sandals that one would wear near a pool.  Of course, the young lady wasn’t exactly dressed in sunbathing attire either.  If those were my shoes, they would never get near water of any kind. 

Since there is no way of testing the veracity of the original story, I remain skeptical that it ever occurred. Makes an good story to start a thread, and stimulate commentary. Louboutin shoes at poolside? Forgot that she was wearing shoes? Older person gets revenge on "entitled" young person? No consequences for her own inappropriate behaviour? There is a problem with seat saving, chair hogs, etc. but this is hardly an example of a way to deal with it, if indeed it ever happened. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Must admit that we love the tale, whether true or not :).  But tossing personal items in the trash is really not the best approach.  What we have done is to pick up all the personal effects that are on the lounger and take them to one of the "Pool Butlers" with the comment that we found the stuff and it needs to go to lost and found.  We have done this on several cruise lines and it is quite effective.    The last time we did this, DW and I sat in the chairs for an entire morning and most of the afternoon.  Finally, about 3pm some folks showed-up and told us we were in "their chairs."  We explained that we had been sitting there for hours (very true).  When they asked if we knew about their stuff we just smiled and suggested they contact lost and found.

On our last Reflection cruise (in the Caribbean), DW and I decided to stay aboard while we were at most of the ports (been to the ports 40+ times and prefer the ship).  There was a group of about 10 folks who would put towels and personal stuff on a group of chairs before they went ashore at the ports.  These folks would not return until late afternoon and then claim their chairs.  After about a week, one of the pool staff got wise and did finally remove all their stuff.  It was amusing to watch their reaction when they all returned from shore to find they not only had no chairs, but all their personal stuff had disappeared.  One of the ladies was actually quite nice and we later had a chat.  She told us that "nobody cared" that they saved chairs on port days and they simply wanted to make sure they had chairs in the shade....during late afternoon. 

Hank

• Like 1

Personally, the Old Lady should have taken the seat- but had no right to throw away somebodies personal property- Hope that this is a joke and not a real story.  If real, the old lady should have just left the shoes under the chair or given them to the security staff.  I agree that the old lady committed a crime when she touched and threw away somebodies property.  She should be held responsible- and you were a witness to the crime.

Louboutin shoes could cost well over $1000. 

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Haha 1

If that chair hog left such expensive shoes... well...! I don´t think the old lady commited a crime- what is laying about can easy be misstaken for trash- maybe the eyesight of said Lady wasn´t no longer up to scratch...!

She did not keep them for herself... THAT would have been a crime!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Until this thread I didn't know anything about Louboutin shoes. 

Louboutin shoes are extremely expensive ... but not the sort of shoes (dressy not casual) one would be wearing to a pool so have doubts this actually happened.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Louboutin shoes are extremely expensive ... but not the sort of shoes (dressy not casual) one would be wearing to a pool so have doubts this actually happened.  :classic_rolleyes:

Actually, they have sandals, flats and sneakers, in addition to their heels.