Elderly women gets revenge on a chair hog

sandycruzr

On 4/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, sjb317 said:

Agree with you. While it makes for a funny story at first, the elderly lady may actually have committed a crime by tossing the shoes in the trash and I think that could certainly cause a problem for her if discovered. 

Sherri🙂

I'm finding a certain amount of 'meanness' throughout this thread.  Why go to the extreme of throwing a person's possessions in the garbage and then not owning it, and calling this gentle-woman 'sweet' for doing do? This among other retaliatory measures mentioned here.   And glueing items together which means you come prepared to do mischief?  Is that particular chair that important?  MYOB on a crowded ship is a talent when there are so many examples of rudeness and inconsiderate behaviour onboard these past few years.  But 'getting even and enjoying hurting others' verbally or by actions is becoming more commonplace everywhere.  Just MHO.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 1:03 AM, ldubs said:

I once saved seats for my daughter and wife while they went to the ladies room.  That makes me obnoxious I guess.   

That is an obvious reason for 'saving' seats....no need to be snarky.....but when rows are dedicated to 'they'll be along later' theatre-gowers, diners, loungers...then there is a reason for most of us to resent X for not having personnel to handle these situations.  We should not have to do battle...which is what it's becoming onboard.  Just off Reflection (5th time) which is crowded EVERYWHERE.  Not much fun looking for seats in OV while carrying your meal (so one sits at the table and we go in turns to get our b'fast), MDR seating so tight folks at adjoining tables comment on our conversations without being invited, getting to the theatre 1/2 hour early to ensure seating, joining the chair hogs marking territory because you know how it works.  On an elevator where a 'lady' closed the door in the face of a wheel-chair occupant and said to the rest of us 'she can take the stairs' and LAUGHED.  We're EP and know how sailing was and could be, and how it isn't now.  Time for a change as X won't.

Edited by oceangoer2

On 4/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, Redtravel said:

Not at all.  What I find obnoxious is when one person saves a whole row of seats......for their extended group of family and friends.  If there were enough seats for everyone who wants to go to a show, then there might not be the seat holding.  While every cruise is different, my recent experience was enough to turn me off.  Celebrity has added more cabins to many ships. The size of the public spaces has not been increased to handle the extra people.  M ships added cabins on deck 3 and aqua class cabins on deck 11. New renovations add more cabins where the ilounge, acupuncture, and library were on the original deck plan.  The Reflection added a whole extra deck of cabins compared to other S class ships. Again, no extra room or seats in public areas.  Added to that, kids sail free. I can imagine an even greater number of people trying to use the same number of seats.  I go on vacation to relax, have a good time, and enjoy the food and activities.  I do not want to deal with people holding seats for people who may or may not ever show up to occupy those seats.   When Celebrity started sailing, the ship size was ideal.  My first Celebrity cruise was on the Zenith.  There was always enough seats in all venues . Never had to hunt for a seat.  The service and food were fabulous.  As time as passed by, the original Celebrity died.  While the ships are glitzy and have more bells and whistles, it has poorer service. Food choices are stale. Quality of the food is just ok.  It isn't bad. It isn't great. As an elite plus, I have experienced the gradual changes over the past 3 decades.  I have 5 future cruises booked, none on Celebrity.  I am not sure if I ever will book on Celebrity again.

But is there an alternative?  I agree with all of your comments...we've sailed Horizon to the Reflection and all in between...we've seen a decline in every ship.  Too many sailing and not enough room - for service, or comfort, or anything else. 

Sorry if it appears I'm on a rant...but we were so dissatisfied with our last few cruises this gave me the opportunity to unload...on my fellow CCers...I apologize for taking up so much space and directing it at you...filled out our survey but nothing will ever come of our opinions.  We just need to find another way or line to enjoy sailing, just not on the large ships or those that aren't large but filled to capacity and beyond.

Edited by oceangoer2

18 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

But is there an alternative?  I agree with all of your comments...we've sailed Horizon to the Reflection and all in between...we've seen a decline in every ship.  Too many sailing and not enough room - for service, or comfort, or anything else. 

Sorry if it appears I'm on a rant...but we were so dissatisfied with our last few cruises this gave me the opportunity to unload...on my fellow CCers...I apologize for taking up so much space and directing it at you...filled out our survey but nothing will ever come of our opinions.  We just need to find another way or line to enjoy sailing, just not on the large ships or those that aren't large but filled to capacity and beyond.

Try Crystal.

35 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I'm finding a certain amount of 'meanness' throughout this thread.  Why go to the extreme of throwing a person's possessions in the garbage and then not owning it, and calling this gentle-woman 'sweet' for doing do? This among other retaliatory measures mentioned here.   And glueing items together which means you come prepared to do mischief?  Is that particular chair that important?  MYOB on a crowded ship is a talent when there are so many examples of rudeness and inconsiderate behaviour onboard these past few years.  But 'getting even and enjoying hurting others' verbally or by actions is becoming more commonplace everywhere.  Just MHO.

I think there has always been a certain amount of meanness on CC, when I made a similar statement on a thread years ago, I was told by a poster that I needed to get a thicker skin.🙄.  And I think posters are really “brave” on an anonymous web site but probably not so much in real life.

I do not go on vacation to be the chair police or worry about what others are doing. Sometimes I find their behavior hilarious but it’s not my job to reprimand them.  I just laugh and move on.

Sherri🙂

19 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

That is an obvious reason for 'saving' seats....no need to be snarky.....but when rows are dedicated to 'they'll be along later' theatre-gowers, diners, loungers...then there is a reason for most of us to resent X for not having personnel to handle these situations.  We should not have to do battle...which is what it's becoming onboard.  Just off Reflection (5th time) which is crowded EVERYWHERE.  Not much fun looking for seats in OV while carrying your meal (so one sits at the table and we go in turns to get our b'fast), MDR seating so tight folks at adjoining tables comment on our conversations without being invited, getting to the theatre 1/2 hour early to ensure seating, joining the chair hogs marking territory because you know how it works.  On an elevator where a 'lady' closed the door in the face of a wheel-chair occupant and said to the rest of us 'she can take the stairs' and LAUGHED.  We're EP and know how sailing was and could be, and how it isn't now.  Time for a change as X won't.

Huh, I guess a problem with forums in general is that comments are taken in a way that was not intended.    Folks wouldn't know my reason for saving a seat but it is all good.   

Anyway, I understand you are frustrated with the crowding.  It does bring out the worst in some folks, like your elevator lady.  Sounds like you are making a good choice.  Folks shouldn't do things that makes them unhappy.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I think there has always been a certain amount of meanness on CC, when I made a similar statement on a thread years ago, I was told by a poster that I needed to get a thicker skin.🙄.  And I think posters are really “brave” on an anonymous web site but probably not so much in real life.

I do not go on vacation to be the chair police or worry about what others are doing. Sometimes I find their behavior hilarious but it’s not my job to reprimand them.  I just laugh and move on.

Sherri🙂

I remember that post re get a thicker skin....for some reason it stuck...just because you may be a little more sensitive to troubling behaviour (IYO).   Sometimes you take a chance posting against the grain and the flamers come out.  I like that there are differing opinions and perhaps we will come to some agreement or understanding somewhere in the middle.

Edited by oceangoer2

So glad I live in Florida and feel no need to lie out by the pool on the ship.  I've told my friends who cruise with me to allow guests who don't share this daily luxury with us should be allowed the time by the pool and we can lie on a beach when in port. 

Just doing my little part to free up 2 to 10 chairs for everyone else.  You're welcome!

2 hours ago, yorky said:

Honestly if things are bad we just use our balcony. We can come and go with no worries about finding a spot, we don’t use the pool or care about having music blaring out.

Unless it’s an IV 🤣.

OK, here is my saving seat story...it's true and it happened to me.  There was a group of same  nationality people on board..about 20 of them.  They didn't stay in line for anything but just went to the front of lines etc.  This was a TA..  One night my husband and I went to the theatre.  The whole first role was empty.  We went to sit down in the 2 middle seats.  A rather tall, large, loud woman came rushing over to me and informed me that all of the first row was saved.  We looked around...nothing special..no signs etc...I said "I don't think so " She then SAT ON ME AND STARTED TO BOUNCE saying...these are saved.....my husband ran to the back and brought 2 security guards to take her off of me.  I'm only 5 ft tall and at that time maybe weighed 110 lbs....she must have weighed 300 lbs.....don't know what happened to her but ...I know I'll always be wary of "empty rows" LOL😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, Redtravel said:

Not at all.  What I find obnoxious is when one person saves a whole row of seats......for their extended group of family and friends.  If there were enough seats for everyone who wants to go to a show, then there might not be the seat holding.  While every cruise is different, my recent experience was enough to turn me off.  Celebrity has added more cabins to many ships. The size of the public spaces has not been increased to handle the extra people.  M ships added cabins on deck 3 and aqua class cabins on deck 11. New renovations add more cabins where the ilounge, acupuncture, and library were on the original deck plan.  The Reflection added a whole extra deck of cabins compared to other S class ships. Again, no extra room or seats in public areas.  Added to that, kids sail free. I can imagine an even greater number of people trying to use the same number of seats.  I go on vacation to relax, have a good time, and enjoy the food and activities.  I do not want to deal with people holding seats for people who may or may not ever show up to occupy those seats.   When Celebrity started sailing, the ship size was ideal.  My first Celebrity cruise was on the Zenith.  There was always enough seats in all venues . Never had to hunt for a seat.  The service and food were fabulous.  As time as passed by, the original Celebrity died.  While the ships are glitzy and have more bells and whistles, it has poorer service. Food choices are stale. Quality of the food is just ok.  It isn't bad. It isn't great. As an elite plus, I have experienced the gradual changes over the past 3 decades.  I have 5 future cruises booked, none on Celebrity.  I am not sure if I ever will book on Celebrity again.

OK, but just curious.  Why are you here then?  If you dislike Celebrity so much, shouldn't you be posting on the boards of the Cruise lines you DO like?

• Like 1

And...our first world problems are once again at the forefront.  Taking things too seriously makes more stress for the taker...I have not personally  encountered any of this issues that would make me upset, but I also do not take a lot things I read very seriously either, especially about saving seats or loungers.  Life is way too short and stressful if you let anyone or anything get under your skin.  My mother always taught me that if someone honks their horn at you, just smile and wave at them...it works!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:59 AM, cantstopingcruising said:

When did they remove the card rooms?

We were on the Silhouette in Jan. and the card room was still there.

Does Reflection still have a card room?

We were on the Reflection last month and there was a card/game room.  Can't remember exactly which deck but was probably 10 or 11 midship.  I could see it when I was taking the aft elevator up to the OV from our cabin on Deck 7.  There was a library, too.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:02 PM, Cruise a holic said:

while I think this is a joke, how many times do people at the pool leave their shoes at the entrance to the hot tub and pool making it unsafe as people may trip   I typical kick them to a side.  Perhaps I should just throw them in the garbage or hot tub   Same when they sit on the loungers   Shoes should be under your chair or in your pool bag.  pool etiquette 101.

There is a very good reason why people leave their shoes by the hot tub or pool. Many cruise ship decks get very hot when they are in full sun and some people have to walk quite a distance from their sun lounger to the pool or hot tub, risking burnt soles if their feet are soft and they don't wear shoes. Of course, they should be considerate and leave their shoes to one side of the pool/tub entrance.

1 hour ago, Tucker in Texas said:

We were on the Reflection last month and there was a card/game room.  Can't remember exactly which deck but was probably 10 or 11 midship.  I could see it when I was taking the aft elevator up to the OV from our cabin on Deck 7.  There was a library, too.

Solstice still has a card/game room. We disembarked from her today. However that doesn't stop people playing cards in other places like the cafe.