Tipping a Maitre D'

1emerald1

Sorry for asking this as there are so many threads on tipping, I do not read them anymore.  As the Maitre D' is a Ship's Officer, is he part of the tipping pool, and does anyone tip extra for exceptional service?

2 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Sorry for asking this as there are so many threads on tipping, I do not read them anymore.  As the Maitre D' is a Ship's Officer, is he part of the tipping pool, and does anyone tip extra for exceptional service?

what kind of 'exceptional service' from a MtD' ?

we have had the pleasure of high levels in service from numerous Maitre D's , most recent was  the world famous Generoso Mazzone.  While in port and going ashore we would often ask our room attendant and Maitre D'  if there would be anything that we might be able to bring back for them. Often the answer would be " thank you, but no, enjoy your time ashore"  but; it was no problem for  d w and I too pick up a small token of our appreciation for the great service that is overseen by the Maitre D'.  When presented with a token of appreciation the response is heart warming. 

Once upon a time, I would do so.  Now, without asking for any type of special service, no.

I would not offer any money if I was unhappy with my dining seating arrangements and requested a change.  Some have in the past and still do.  

Often the real Maitre d' is difficult to identify.  More often than not in my recent cruise experiences, the person(s) at the MDR's entrance podium are Assistant Maitre d's or Assistant Dining Room Managers, whatever the cruise line calls them.  They handle whatever needs to be handled for the benefit of the guests.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, c-boy said:

we have had the pleasure of high levels in service from numerous Maitre D's , most recent was  the world famous Generoso Mazzone.  While in port and going ashore we would often ask our room attendant and Maitre D'  if there would be anything that we might be able to bring back for them. Often the answer would be " thank you, but no, enjoy your time ashore"  but; it was no problem for  d w and I too pick up a small token of our appreciation for the great service that is overseen by the Maitre D'.  When presented with a token of appreciation the response is heart warming. 

I like your idea.  I have sailed with a Princess and HAL Maitre d' as well as a HAL Head Steward more than once whose service and friendliness are memorable.  Offering a small token of appreciation for their services is something that I will put in my memory bank should I be fortunate to sail with them again.

• Like 1

We have tipped the Mat'red many times, because we often ordered off menu and the Mat'red tells the Head Waiter it was okay.   We also tipped the Head waiter and assistants.  

1 hour ago, paul929207 said:

I have never tipped him

I wouldn't either, in nearly 80 Princess cruises  they have never done anything for me, they don't even come around to the tables asking if the dinner was OK,  because quite often these days it isn't and there is nothing they can do about it anyway.

Most ships I've been on recently the Maître D'  mostly hangs out in the fixed dining on Deck 6 aft, and is rarely seen in the other dining rooms.

You do see him at the Chef's Table but you already paid heavily enough for that at $115.

• Like 1

Only ones I can ever remember is Oscar who is totally crazy in a great way, and that was when he was on Pacific Princess when you have to walk past him on entering as there is only one dining room and no anytime dining.

And similarly  the now-retired Bruno Bogazzi who was on Ocean Princess for a long time - liked a drink and was notoriously bad tempered on occasions with the crew when they messed up. Another great character.

The others ? Who were they? I don't know and don't want to know.

From my understanding, which may be very limited, there is one (1) Maitre D'.  On occasions, I have meet with them for a variety of reasons.  I don't tip $$ them, but have given them small gifts of appreciation (personal preference).  

Under them are:  Head Waiters (in MDR, Crown Grill, Sabatini's, etc), Supervisors, Waiters, and Jr. Waiters.

I usually tip my Head Waiter because of my special needs diet.  Others in my party do not since he does not offer a "service" to them.  

• Like 1

Gifts of appreciation?  More to pack to take home at the end of their contract - or  just dump?

What I have found every hotel employee on a cruise ship wants more than anything else  is MONEY!

Although in an apparent exception to the rule cabin  Stewart on Royal P last cruise asked me to get him a fridge magnet at every port around South America since he could not get off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Griller said:

Gifts of appreciation?  More to pack to take home at the end of their contract - or  just dump?

What I have found every hotel employee on a cruise ship wants more than anything else  is MONEY!

Although in an apparent exception to the rule cabin  Stewart on Royal P last cruise asked me to get him a fridge magnet at every port around South America since he could not get off.

ya got to know your cabin attendant on a first name basis, must have been an exceptional relationship.  What magnet did ya get Stewart ?

• Haha 2

The only time we tipped a Maitre D' was several years back when they still used punch cards for the wine package.    We somehow lost ours and he immediately took care of us, getting a replacement in just a few minutes.    Edit - just realized that I'm not sure that was on Princess.

We've tipped the Head Waiter in Club Class when he greeted and checked each table at least once nightly and prepared outstanding special dishes.   

Edited by Kartgv

I assumed they received part of the automatic gratuities I pay for every cruise. I give extra to my wait staff in traditional dining and to my cabin steward. And extra to staff in Sabatini's.

10 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I asked the Maître d’ If they could make my wife a special birthday cake. He told me no problem and the cake was fabulous.

So I thanked him with a very good tip and he was very thankful. 

Tony

CA1B92ED-7A51-42B2-86A6-9982504357FA.jpeg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I asked the Maître d’ If they could make my wife a special birthday cake. He told me no problem and the cake was fabulous.

Tony

Gosh, now I'm thinking I should have tipped.  I saw him the first day to change my dining time, and he accommodated me very graciously.  I then started to walk over to Sabatini's to make a reservation and he joined me and walked me over and personally took care of my reservation, then spent some time chatting with me.  At dinner he stopped by my table every night, at least 2 times, always a hug, kiss on the cheek or hand and totally took care of me.  I've never had such an attentive Maitre D', usually they are old grouches.  Now I'm not trying to come across as special, I'm sure he treats all of the ladies that way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Tony

Looks wonderful.

• Like 1

a) The Maitre D is management.  You do not tip management.

b) All these wonderful extra services that they are providing are part of their job.  If they do not provide good service, they are not doing their job.

c) They are well paid.

I have never tipped a maitre d and I doubt if I ever will.

DON

• Like 1

I still have problems of identifying of "who is who" in the MDR or the specialty restaurants when I sail on Princess.  The Maitre d' wears a white coat, sometimes a black coat.  (I think that's correct.)  But, the gentlemen who wear the green coat, what is their position and function?  My guess is that they are the Head Waiters and I guess that they are the supervisors of the Waiters and the Assistant Waiters.

Correct or not?