Horrible Story, What was he thinking?

dkjretired

3 minutes ago, Mynki said:

That was my thinking. I'd make no changes at all. 

That was exactly my earlier point. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way. Unfortunately in this case the destiny of this child was in the hands of her grandfather. Truly a tragic mistake.

1 hour ago, CikraB said:

Only seems fitting to extend the glass to at least 6' in all public areas where there is a railing including balcony cabins to prevent overboard situations. I think safety catch nets might be in order too. Or just a little common sense works wonders too.

a 6' railing with chairs beside them .. that works well.. Let's stick with common sense. If  a person wants to go over board they will find a spot

25 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

a 6' railing with chairs beside them .. that works well.. Let's stick with common sense. If  a person wants to go over board they will find a spot

That was sarcasm Goldmember :classic_biggrin:.  Not having all these failsafe measures in place is how we weed out those lacking in common sense.      Certainly not pertaining to this tragic loss of this poor little soul.

It's a life ending mistake by the Grandfather that I'm sure he wishes he could take back.  He was clearly negligent, but I'm also 100% sure it wasn't intentional.  How horrible for the family, and those on the cruise that were impacted.

Honestly, I don't like seeing stories like this.  The chances, or statistics, of something like happening are incredibly low but the story is so shocking it sticks in your head.

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Freedom has been in service since '06.  13 years x 365 days x 4000 passengers = 19mm passenger days.  Add 2 other Freedom Class and 5 Voyager Class ships with similar pool deck configuration and you're talking almost 200mm passenger days.  One tragic accident and people want to start moving windows?    

Mans Radiance Class ships!

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Freedom has been in service since '06.  13 years x 365 days x 4000 passengers = 19mm passenger days.  Add 2 other Freedom Class and 5 Voyager Class ships with similar pool deck configuration and you're talking almost 200mm passenger days.  One tragic accident and people want to start moving windows?    

Lawsuits or threat thereof have a tendency to change a few things.  I would be totally surprised if nothing changes.   Bear in mind I am not putting any blame on any entity just know what corporations like to do to cover their asses in case something similar happens in the future.   My bet is something changes and all the lines will be watching closely.

This is a horrible tragedy, but I don’t see at all how Royal Caribbean is to blame. Calling the pool deck the kids’ area is ludicrous.  I remember on a Celebrity ship how some pool deck windows are open for air flow and remember thinking what a great idea that is. We all know how hot it gets in the Caribbean. The child should not have been put on an assumed window IMO, but I also don’t at all think the grandfather should be prosecuted. He’s likely just a man who adores his granddaughter and was trying to take good care of her when a tragic mistake occurred. I’ve watched the videos of the area, and to me, the difference in color should be obvious, but perhaps there was an eyesight issue. In any case, I can’t imagine the pain the family is enduring and hope that they can let go of blaming the cruise line and mourn the loss of their daughter. 

On 7/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

CCTV covers just about every inch of the interior and exterior of the ship.  Have been told a number of times by security that no one can fall overboard without event being captured on camera.   Royal and law enforcement are undoubtedly reviewing video tape and they will see exactly what happened.

There is indeed video of the incident.  It has been provided to the local police.

The family (their lawyers??) has requested a copy of the video, but RCCL has refused.  Strange.

The local police did offer to let the family view the video, but they were too distraught to do so.  They request a copy from the police, but that request was also denied.

It seems that the specifics of what exactly happened are not a mystery.  RCCL know and the police know, but it's not being shared with others.

This is a tragedy and the grandfather and family will never recover. That said, there was no reason for the child to be on the rail.  If you notice she could have looked out from beneath the railing where the window does not open. Not condemning the grandfather, just pointing out the obvious. I am sure the lawyer is telling them Royal is  at fault which  makes them feel better to blame someone else.  Prayers to this family.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, Orator said:

Agree. I believe that lawyer is attempting to put pressure on RCCL to come to the table and negotiate a settlement. Remember the attorney gets a piece of any settlement and possibly an enhanced reputation. This is not intended as a criticism as he's just doing what he was retained to do!

IMO,, the lawyers will come to a settlement rather than go to trial.  We will never know the outcome or what the video showed.  The settlement will make it go away faster so everyone moves on. The family and grandfather will be the only ones that will never move on. So sad.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ilikeboats said:

Truthfully I don't think it's the greatest idea to take a toddler on a big cruise ship.  I think I would be a nervous wreck.

So what age range do you consider a toddler? Xx thru yy and a week after a child turns yy it’s now ok? You may be a nervous wreck but thousands and thousands of toddlers cruise every week without incident.

42 minutes ago, iheartbda said:

So what age range do you consider a toddler? Xx thru yy and a week after a child turns yy it’s now ok? You may be a nervous wreck but thousands and thousands of toddlers cruise every week without incident.

wiki says toddler is 12 to 36 months which sounds about right.

43 minutes ago, Nymich said:

wiki says toddler is 12 to 36 months which sounds about right.

I know that and it was more of a rhetorical question. I was also trying to make the point that it is not inherently dangerous for toddlers to be on a cruise ship,

Why should a toddler not go an cruise- even though said toddler would not remember a single thing of the cruise later on- but thats not the point- the parents want to enjoy a nice cruise- so why not! Of course they all were aware that a toddler has to be supervied 24/7.

The poor little girl was well supervised as far as I can figure it out- it was a horrible- tragic- live shattering accident! I am quite quite sure that the poor man is devestated and would jump himself if that could save this sweet little girl! Just looking at those sweet smiling girl in the pictures, could bring tears to ones eyes!

Edited by Germancruiser

6 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Corporations rarely provide video to what may eventually be an adversary.  The video they take is for their protection--not yours.

A court order will get that video. Who actually gets to see it will be up to the judge, if it goes that far.

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

A court order will get that video. Who actually gets to see it will be up to the judge, if it goes that far.

They'll get it during discovery assuming there's a lawsuit, standard.....

It is not strange that the Police have not provided the video to the family.   

Edited by dkjretired

The Florida-based attorney who is giving all the interviews is trying to spin this as they won't release the video at all.  The more recent news stories I've read say that the family & lawyers (there are several involved now) were offered the opportunity to watch the video but have declined so far.  One source calls it "conclusive." 

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree on toddlers and cruising...what’s the point? They get nothing out of it...

In many cases a family's children can range in age pretty widely.  The older kids may be prime age for a wonderful cruise, and their youngest sibling may still be a toddler.  This happens a lot.  Not saying that was the case in this instance, but there are MANY reasons why toddlers could be on board. 

Another option is that many times the parents don't have anyone to watch the child at home while they go on vacation so the toddler must come along.  With an only child as the toddler, I'm assuming the cruise is much more for the parents than the child. 

I'm guessing that was the case with this family, as the Grandparent was along, perhaps to help share the responsibilities of watching the child so the parents could have a break.  So sad how it turned out.

Dan

32 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

In many cases a family's children can range in age pretty widely.  The older kids may be prime age for a wonderful cruise, and their youngest sibling may still be a toddler.  This happens a lot.  Not saying that was the case in this instance, but there are MANY reasons why toddlers could be on board. 

Another option is that many times the parents don't have anyone to watch the child at home while they go on vacation so the toddler must come along.  With an only child as the toddler, I'm assuming the cruise is much more for the parents than the child. 

I'm guessing that was the case with this family, as the Grandparent was along, perhaps to help share the responsibilities of watching the child so the parents could have a break.  So sad how it turned out.

Dan

You may be correct as it has been reported elsewhere that the parents were unable to give statements to the Police as they were not in the same area, and saw nothing of the incident.

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Agree on toddlers and cruising...what’s the point? They get nothing out of it...

There are plenty of times and places a toddler gets nothing out of it. That’s not necessarily why someone takes a toddler on a cruise and other posts have already explained that. 

Thinking that toddlers shouldn’t be on cruises is getting off topic. The fact remains, this toddler was on a cruise and something unforeseen happened to her. Should cruise lines now say no toddlers?

3 hours ago, Redrobo said:

You may be correct as it has been reported elsewhere that the parents were unable to give statements to the Police as they were not in the same area, and saw nothing of the incident.

That's odd.  Just because someone isn't in the area and doesn't witness the incident doesn't mean they have nothing of value to add..