FCD Gotch'a

hobbyfarmer2

Just received an unexpected result when I tried to apply FCD credits to a cruise we booked before we bought the FCD credits.  Seems that the FCD has to be purchased before the cruise has been booked in order for the FCD to be applied by the Princess computer system.  This somewhat works against booking cruises far in the future unless you have FCD in the bank, so to speak. 

Future Cruise deposit is just that... a deposit.  If you have already booked then you have already paid a deposit.  The FCD is for cruises you have not yet booked.  It is an incentive to book another cruise.

• Like 7

This is not new. 

That's why it's called a future deposit ... no gotcha here.

Further ... I believe Princess will allow you to apply the FCD monies to an existing booking as payment against your balance, but no OBC will be available to you.

Edited by pms4104

37 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

This somewhat works against booking cruises far in the future unless you have FCD in the bank, so to speak. 

In my mind, it works to encourage you to buy the FCD before booking. Your encouragement to book early is more about choice of cabins and locking in a fare before it goes up (which the in-demand cruises do more than you might think).

I have bought FDCs on board, then used them to rebook a cruise we had already booked. I'm sure you could do this on the phone, too. But like any change, you would be subject to losing your existing promo and falling under the conditions of whatever promo is going on at the time. This was not a problem for us. We had booked under Sip & Sail and merely converted to 3 for Free, which is actually better for us.

Jim

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

My issue with FCD’s is that you are essentially giving them your money to hold rather than keeping it in an interest bearing account

except for that pesky OBC that comes when a cruise is actually booked

and a potential reduced deposit

yep, FCD's are worthless

enjoy that 2% you'll earned on that $ 100 each ...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, memoak said:

My issue with FCD’s is that you are essentially giving them your money to hold rather than keeping it in an interest bearing account

You are worrrying about interest on $100?  At today's rate you are talking pennies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

Show me where you can get make $50, $75, or $100 off of a $100 deposit in any sort of banking account.

Stock market, yes. Bank, no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edit:

16 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Show me where you can get make $50, $75, or $100 off of a $100 deposit in any sort of banking account.

Options, yes. Bank / stock market, not me

Personally I can't get 50% return in 1-2 years in the market. I'm not that good 😒

I need another FCD. Want to book a cruise but not without it. On CB 7/27/19. How long does it take to show up once pd for?

Edited by Ombud

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Edit:

Personally I can't get 50% return in 1-2 years in the market. I'm not that good 😒

I need another FCD. Want to book a cruise but not without it. On CB 7/27/19. How long does it take to show up once pd for?

For us once it posts on your credit card it is in your CC account.

48-72 hours maybe.

They send the email purchase verification as soon as the FCC rep enters it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Edit:

Personally I can't get 50% return in 1-2 years in the market. I'm not that good 😒

Beyond Meat (BYND) was a fun ride recently. $96.16 on June 3rd, $176.79 on July 19. But I think their bubble will burst soon.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Beyond Meat (BYND) was a fun ride recently. $96.16 on June 3rd, $176.79 on July 19. But I think their bubble will burst soon.

Dang!! Must be best IPO ever! Let's talk. Just doing options in explore act, ETFs + 5 stocks in core inc CCL (IRA, Roth)

Buying one the day I board, reserving cruise this week then emailing PVP to book as soon as I get that email. 

37 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Edit:

Personally I can't get 50% return in 1-2 years in the market. I'm not that good 😒

We have bought FCC's and used them immediately to book a cruise while onboard because we had run out of FCC's.  

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Just how much interest does $50 earn over a couple of years? 

WE have to purchase more on our next cruise. We have 5 cruises booked so are down to only 1 FCD each remaining. Definitely have to purchase more. We sail in October and again in November so will purchase then - probably on the October cruise as there is no sense messing around and waiting. People sometimes think they have enough but actually don't. We had 4 each "in the bank" but got a bit wild and booked a B2B2B for next fall. We were very glad that we had the FCD available.

• Like 2

My old theory was one more than the maximum cruises you would book in a year. But, I recently amended that to two more than the maximum cruises you would book in a year. Of course, that is per passenger. 

Even the minimum $15 per $100 is a good return on investment. 

I also like to have multiple FCDs on my account. I bought three apiece for us when I was able to get the $100 back on American Express for spending $500. I used two of mine for my back-to-back cruises in Alaska and my third one for September's transatlantic cruise. I applied one of DH's to the transatlantic. So for my initial $600, I've so far used $400 as deposits, received $100 back from Amex, received $50 in OBC, and will receive $150 more in OBC plus still have $200 for future deposits for DH--a total of $900 not counting whatever OBC we'll get if we use DH's two additional FCDs, and worst case the $200 back if we don't book before they expire.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I also like to have multiple FCDs on my account. I bought three apiece for us when I was able to get the $100 back on American Express for spending $500. I used two of mine for my back-to-back cruises in Alaska and my third one for September's transatlantic cruise. I applied one of DH's to the transatlantic. So for my initial $600, I've so far used $400 as deposits, received $100 back from Amex, received $50 in OBC, and will receive $150 more in OBC plus still have $200 for future deposits for DH--a total of $900 not counting whatever OBC we'll get if we use DH's two additional FCDs, and worst case the $200 back if we don't book before they expire.

Wut???       😳

• Haha 1