Tipping for Drinks with Premium Package

charlielinda

We have never sailed with a beverage package for many reasons but our next trip we will have the package.  Do you tip for drinks at the bar, restaurants and Cafe.  We want to be sure we are doing the right thing.  My opinion would be to tip.  

When you buy a drink package (classic or premium), as you likely know you’re already charged for the gratuities (I believe somewhere between 18 to 20 percent).

Based on that, in my opinion, you’re not required to add a tip to that. This said, if a specific waiter/waitress provides you with an exceptional service, there is nothing preventing you from recognizing this aspect with an added tip.

It is only my opinion. Others may differ.. For your consideration,

31 minutes ago, George C said:

We normally tip a extra dollar or two with all drinks, in bar or micheals. 

Obviously a personal choice - which I have no problem with.

But I note that an average of an additional $1.5 on a $10 drink is 15% on top of the included 20% - not something I would choose to do. Many perspectives out there.

Happy cruising

I go along with only tipping the bar staff when service has been out-of-the-ordinary.  But I try to make note of the staff's names and mention them on the survey, or occasionally, on the "attention to detail form".  Their supervisors really take note of the fact that they impressed the customer enough to have me take the time to write a note about them.  That can lead to extra time off, extra phone calls home and even advancement to a better position.  In the long run, that can pay off for them more than the monetary tips I might give them.  I suggest that our British friends, who aren't part of the American tipping culture, might consider writing similar notes when they get exceptional service -- it only takes a few minutes but it can mean a lot to the bar staff, housekeeping staff, dining room staff, etc.

• Like 2

In the places we frequent on board, we usually find a favorite bartender and tip a couple extra bucks now and then (not on every drink).  We often find they see us walk in, and once we sit down there they are to take our order, and frequently check back.  Don't mind the relatively few bucks for us, in exchange for awesome service. If they aren't too busy, we also like to ask them a question or two about where they are from...they always appreciate us asking.

...addendum to my prior response.

We also take names and be sure to name them on the surveys.  If we are particularly enjoying the service from a particular bartender (our last cruise, we had excellent service from one in the Martini Bar and one in the Rendezvous Lounge) we are inclined to give them a $10 or maybe even $20 around the middle of the cruise.  It means a lot to them.  These bartenders got outstanding reviews from us on the surveys, and we named them in our Cruise Critic cruise review. People may disagree about tipping like this, but they worked hard and helped make our cruise memorable! 🙂

• Like 2

As stated above, there's already a gratuity added to bar and Cafe al Bacio purchases when using beverage packages(it used to be 18%, however when I upgraded a beverage package last week for an upcoming cruise on the Celebrity website, 20% was charged), so any extra tips given are completely optional and at your discretion.  Always name people you believe go above and beyond in your guest survey as well, so that their supervisors, management and the corporate office will know who deserves extra perks, contract renewals and future promotions.

28 minutes ago, stich3003 said:

Wow!

I have a very good friend who runs a small pub (smallest in the UK) and I asked him about tipping. He said if he ever receives a tip , which is rare, he always puts them in the charity tin. A customer occasionally offers to buy him a drink but again he said he almost always refuses. Its his beer after all and if he fancies one he can pour it himself for free.

the rarity of the offered tips isn't due to bad service as both the service and beer are excellent. It is just not the thing to tip for drinks served at bars in the UK. 

Edited by groryjm

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 9:49 PM, DENIE said:

In the places we frequent on board, we usually find a favorite bartender and tip a couple extra bucks now and then (not on every drink).  We often find they see us walk in, and once we sit down there they are to take our order, and frequently check back.  Don't mind the relatively few bucks for us, in exchange for awesome service. If they aren't too busy, we also like to ask them a question or two about where they are from...they always appreciate us asking.

We do the same.   Not all BTs make a drink the way we like it.  It doesn’t take long for us to one that does.  When we did that one we will frequent that bar and do the same as you wrote

Her are a few words of advice.   

Don’t TIP. Look at at what  TIP stands for.   Many employees told us that they don’t like it because they feel they are being bought for their services and taking a bribe to give special favors.  They take their job seriously and are professionals.   They do appreciate a little extra gratuity.  Look that up.   It is what the base word is.  Being compensated for great service

Threat them with respect and as a equal.   They are humans beings and not are servants or slaves.   A smile and a friendly greeting goes a long way

Do not tap your card on the bar to get attention.   They hate that and may intentionally ignore you.   They know you are there, be patient.

When you find a BT  or  server that you like they do appreciate  the little extra not only for the monetary part but knowing that they earned it and was appreciated it.   We usually  give it to them at the end of the cruise unless we know that we might not  see them  on the last night.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

A 20% gratuity is already included in your beverage package, which is split among the bartenders/servers on board. If you'd like to give an extra $1 or so here and there it will be appreciated, but certainly not expected or required. If someone goes out of their way or above and beyond, do what feels comfortable. Also remember to mention notable crew members who make your vacation special in a comment card during your cruise (you can get one at Guest Services) and in your post cruise review as well. These positive comments help them get promotions, time off, etc. and mean a lot.

I guess this is where the UK and US culture differs and I know you think we are mean.  We feel that a 20% tip is outrageous and would never give this much over here.  However that is what it is on the ship, so we accept it, and I know the staff work very hard on board.  As to pubs in the UK, no tip is required - all our drinks are normally ordered from the bar and we carry them back to our table.  We would always however leave a tip after a meal, maybe 10%.  I think some of the 5* hotel bars, would add a tip, but the drinks would be ordered tableside, so slightly different.  I think whatever you are comfortable with is just fine.