No more Formal Night on Harmony

53 minutes ago, ashley@cruisecritic said:

Hi all,

I've reached out to Royal's PR department, and this is what they tell me:

"The cruise compass you reference below from Harmony of the Seas was actually misprinted – human error. Harmony of the Seas, along with all 6-night or longer itineraries still offer Formal Nights.

All itineraries 5-nights or shorter offer a 'Wear Your Best' evening onboard. Here is how we describe this:

'Nighttime’s the right time to wear your best look. That means a step up from your typical dinner wear, and includes collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. Jackets, tuxedos/formal wear sports coats and blazers are also appropriate.'"

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for that clarification but something tells me it won’t matter as folks wear whatever they want, any evening of the cruise.   

I think it’s hilarious that “wear your best“ includes wearing a shirt with a collar!    Boy has the bar gotten low. 

M

1 hour ago, ashley@cruisecritic said:

Hi all,

"The cruise compass you reference below from Harmony of the Seas was actually misprinted – human error. Harmony of the Seas, along with all 6-night or longer itineraries still offer Formal Nights.

All itineraries 5-nights or shorter offer a 'Wear Your Best' evening onboard. Here is how we describe this:

'Nighttime’s the right time to wear your best look. That means a step up from your typical dinner wear, and includes collared shirts, dresses, skirts, blouses and pantsuits. Jackets, tuxedos/formal wear sports coats and blazers are also appropriate.'"

Interesting,  thanks

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I wouldn’t expect it too. This gives those that enjoy dressing up, to continue to do so. I think it ends the  “arguments and disagreements what’s “required “ or “suggested “. 

In my opinion. 

But it appears Ashley debunked your entire premise.  🤔

1 hour ago, ashley@cruisecritic said:

Hi all,

It will be interesting to see if Harmony keeps "misprinting" this or if they roll with it.  I know several people boarding the next few sailings from our FB group that cancelled our September 1 cruise.  I think I will see what they say.    It doesnt really matter to me either way.  I use to go all out and rent a tux.  Now I will be found in khaki type pants and dress shirt like I would wear to church 

Edited by ryano
  • Like 5

No formal nights on the Aug. 29th Anthem sail.  However, I believe those nights are called something like "Wear Your Best" or something like it.  Some Paxs wore non traditional garb and I'm afraid eventually it may turn into some freak show.  Halloween anybody.:classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

No formal nights on the Aug. 29th Anthem sail.  However, I believe those nights are called something like "Wear Your Best" or something like it.  Some Paxs wore non traditional garb and I'm afraid eventually it may turn into some freak show.  Halloween anybody.:classic_rolleyes:

How many days was this cruise?

If this thread proves one thing, no matter how you prefer to dress on a cruise, you can be just as tacky dressing in alleged formal wear as you can dressing allegedly casual.

Agsn, your food, your service, your experience won’t change if your dressed in a tux and gown, or dressed in shorts and tops.

I still can’t believe this debate is still going on (albeit much, much less frequently) in 2019.

• Thanks 1

Same food, same service, NOTHING is different ANYWHERE on the ship on formal nights like it USED to be years ago.  It's just a photo night; Norwegian perfected the formula years ago with "Dress up or Not Night" and "Norwegian Night Out".  Just more photo backdrops, nothing else different.  

If anyone here cruised longer than the past 10 years you may remember the numerous touches throughout the ship on formal nights.  Don't blame the consumer for wanting more laid back vacation; the cruise line stopped providing any additional specialties years ago.  

I agree with others; there is no actual dress code anymore.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Maine (cold water) lobster.

As far as I know, never had the so called "good lobster" on lobster night.  However, on our August 25, '16 Anthem's NE/Canada itinerary, when we left Bar Harbor, Maine, we got an est. 1.25 lbs whole lobster that very night  in the MDR.  We were told by our waiter that they bought some $200k+ in lobsters.

Ps.  We also got the standard lobster tail on the 2nd formal night.