Decision on Spain or a Southeast Asia cruise?

solosport

Has anyone been on a cruise to all of Spain (July) or cruise to Southeast Asia (Jan). Was there a preference between the two?

Spain and Portugal is on Norwegian Jade - Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Bilbao, La Coruna, Lisbon, Cadiz, malaga, Valencia, Barcelona. 10 days

Southeast Asia is on HAL Noordam - Hong Kong, Manila, Boracay, Puerto Princessa, Malaysia, Ho Chi Minh, Siem Riep(Side trip), Bangkok, Malaysia, Singapore. 13 days.

I've been to all of the starting and ending destinations and Bangkok already. Split on which trip will be most enjoyable.

I know these are both totally different vacation types but let me know your great experiences or bad ones.

Totally apples and oranges.  Have enjoyed both destinations.

You and you alone have to determine -- will I enjoy one ship more than the other?  Will I enjoy one type of ports more than the other?  Do I have some greater desire to see some places more than others?

I have a sneaky suspicion this is looking for some confirmation of your current preference, given the very generalized nature of your question.

1 hour ago, solosport said:

I know these are both totally different vacation types

To further muddy the water, have you considered a land-based trip?  On SE Asia alone, there's a whole lot more to Thailand and Vietnam than Bangkok and Saigon.  A WHOLE lot.

• Like 1

I would have to agree that you are considering two very different itineraries.  Maybe a bit more variety on the SE Asia trip since you are going to so many different countries, but both trips look great.  The SE Asia trip might have a somewhat older crowd as HAL tends to attract a slightly older crowd than the lower level mass market lines, but that might not totally apply to this trip due to its itinerary.  But it is generally true that HAL has an older crowd than Carnival or even Princess, all owned by the same company.  At times, getting along in English in SE Asia can be challenging depending on where you venture off to.  Cannot say that I can offer much more than that with this choice.

We've done similar cruises.  You can't go wrong either way.

Smiling as I write this...our choice would be the Asia cruise....why?....because it's longer. 😊

We always prefer the longer cruises...and if we're flying that far....it might as well be the longer cruise.

(Although it would be easier for us to sail on the Jade since we can speak a bit of Spanish and Portuguese.)😎

• Like 1

I would prefer the Asia itinerary.  Have been to several of your named ports, but not all of them.  All that I visited I enjoyed with Hong Kong, Manila, Puerto Princessa, and Singapore being my favorites.

I have limited knowledge of Spain:  Cadiz/Granada, Barcelona, Alicante are the only places I have visited.  I liked what I saw and I am glad I did so.  It's just that the Asian ports attract me more.

The issue with SE Asia cruises is that in many cases a lengthy coach journey is required from the port in order to visit any places of interest. In Europe however, in many cases you can just walk off the ship and be in the historic centre within 10 minutes.

So, I would concur with a previous poster- a land holiday for Asia,  and a cruise for Europe. 

• Like 2

We have traveled by land extensively in both countries.  

We we would not consider a cruise if we wanted to see Thailand or Vietnam.  

If you are still undecided you might want to take a look at the port stops on your Asian cruise.  Compare the port times and most especially the distances from the ports to those places you want to see.  Keep in mind that land transport in Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam will take longer than you are  probably accustomed to.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I would prefer the SE Asia cruise as I have already been to Spain. Also, for someone who really wants to see a different area, Spain could perhaps be done more easily on land (a much preferable way to experience another area) than the very distant ports on the SE Asia itinerary.

But, in comparing the two cruises, HAL offers a much better on board experience -and the traditional concern about HAL being for older folk would probably not apply on such a different itinerary.

1 minute ago, evandbob said:

I'll guess that Spain in July would be hot.....and SE Asia in January is a longer cruise......so I would do the latter and scout those ports to see if I wanted to return to SE Asia for a land based vacay.

Excellent points.  And we avoid Europe like the plague in summer.  Not only hot but too many dang tourists 🙂   We were in SE Asia in March/April and it was 100 degrees and 95% humidity.  Winter is supposed to be MUCH better.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your excellent replies. At the time I was booked on HAL for SE Asia. I've been to Thailand before. I was considering a Norwegian Jade cruise at the time to Spain and Portugal. Never been to most of the ports. I was worrying about which one to choose but finally booked both and bit the bullet mainly on costs. Spain in July and SE Asia in January 2021.  So I probably am going during the hot season in both (Heard Spain is unbearable in Summer)(SE Asia humid).  Maybe not the best idea but I will enjoy both no matter what.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solosport said:

Thanks for all your excellent replies. At the time I was booked on HAL for SE Asia. I've been to Thailand before. I was considering a Norwegian Jade cruise at the time to Spain and Portugal. Never been to most of the ports. I was worrying about which one to choose but finally booked both and bit the bullet mainly on costs. Spain in July and SE Asia in January 2021.  So I probably am going during the hot season in both (Heard Spain is unbearable in Summer)(SE Asia humid).  Maybe not the best idea but I will enjoy both no matter what.  Thanks again.

We were in SE Asia a few years ago in March/April.  It was 100 degrees and 95% humidity. We were told that winter was the best time to go weatherwise. 

The ONLY reason I would choose the SE Asia cruise of the two options you're considering is that I would choose HAL over NCL anytime! But as far as the cruise itself....either!

Edited by marco
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, solosport said:

I probably am going during the hot season in both (Heard Spain is unbearable in Summer)(SE Asia humid).  Maybe not the best idea but I will enjoy both no matter what.  

I have been in Spain and Italy during April and it can be very uncomfortable even then.  (The Vatican Museum during one April visit was a "sweat box".)  I have been in SE Asia during the Fall and in the February/March time frame and did not find that area to be uncomfortable.  Plan to dress appropriately for the climate and you ought to be OK.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which I would prefer to leave untested.

Being in SE Asia when we were there was brutal.  I loathe heat/humidity and this was the worst.  I actually passed on going to Angor Wat as the group was going in the late afternoon (better photo ops!) and I figured I would die.  My memories of the trip - almost a month - always include heat 😞

19 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

When one is in the tropics (read SE Asia) "winter" is a theoretical concept 😉

Exactly...I was just there this month, and although not quite winter, it’s still hot and humid. Their seasons are hot and hotter. I was in the heat and humidity for almost 7 weeks, and boy was I glad to get back to Seattle.

• Like 1