Oasis Class Buffet vs Vegas Buffet

icu222much

We didn't think the buffet was bad at all. (Its been two years since we were on Royal and we were on an Oasis Class ship if that makes a difference).  If you pick the wrong foods it will be terrible-you just have to know what to avoid. If it is normally expensive then its not going to be good on the buffet.  Steaks and seafood etc. should be avoided (those are definitely Golden Corral quality).  I think "American" foods tend to be weird on cruise ships because the chefs aren't from the US and don't get the subtleties of US comfort foods.  The Asian/South East Asian foods are good.  Made to order Omelets are better than eggs in the chaffing dish.  Some foods are great when fresh and awful after they sit a while (fried things). Fresh veggies, salads, fruits are always good.  Breads are usually OK.  Some desserts are blah and others are really good.  I found that the pizza (in the pizza place) was meh-unless you got the chefs special-which was usually pretty good.  Our last cruise was on Celebrity. I didn't really think there was a huge difference in the Celebrity Buffet and the Royal Buffet.  

Edited by kateg
Addition

We are booked on Symphony for February-2020.  We had the opportunity to see how the food service can change on Royal.  In 2015, we were on Vision in the Mediterranean and the food was worse than mediocre. The buffet was the worst in 15 cruises.  It says something when your spouse eats hamburger sliders in the MDR rather than anything else off the menu.  Naturally on the survey we gave the food a zero.

Back on Vision in 2017 for a Baltic cruise and were happily surprised by the complete overhaul of the buffet and the MDR.  Still not to the level of Celebrity, but much better.

I thought the buffets in Vegas were flavorless.  Vegas isn't exactly close to water, so imagine how far the shrimp and crab legs have to go to get there!   I preferred eating at the Popeye's in the Excalibur, but to each their own.

RCCL buffets have great deserts and I loved taco night.  I am not a fan of their pasta and you couldn't make worse pizza if you tried.   Aside from the pizza, I would say the food is much better than Golden Corral.  

Edited by zepp914
  • Like 1

Personally don't care for anything in the Windjammer.  We were extremely disappointed with the Windjammer after our last cruise on Oasis.  Definitely not anything near Celebrity's buffet, which is awesome.  I really do enjoy the food in the MDR though for dinner.  On Oasis and Allure I would recommend the Solarium buffet for breakfast and lunch.  We found the food there to be much better than the Windjammer.

We just got off the Oasis class Allure and the WJ food was not great.   To make activities fit we at there one night and I was not a fan, it was a chore to get a table, many stations were out of food and the food was mediocre.  I did go there to get salads for a midday snack and that was OK.   On Oasis class, in my opinion,  the best lunch is the roast beef sandwich in the Park Cafe.

MDR food is good, much better than WJ.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zepp914 said:

I thought the buffets in Vegas were flavorless.  Vegas isn't exactly close to water, so imagine how far the shrimp and crab legs have to go to get there!   I preferred eating at the Popeye's in the Excalibur, but to each their own.

RCCL buffets have great deserts and I loved taco night.  I am not a fan of their pasta and you couldn't make worse pizza if you tried.   Aside from the pizza, I would say the food is much better than Golden Corral.  

RCI WJ has "great deserts"....Oh my, I couldn't disagree more with that !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Folks need to rent "Vegas vacation" and watch the buffet scene. 

We love Vegas, but comparing to Windjammer is unrealistic. There are great and horrible buffets in Vegas...depending how much you're willing to spend. Windjammer is pretty consistent and acceptable.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:26 PM, Ashland said:

RCI WJ has "great deserts"....Oh my, I couldn't disagree more with that !!

The pastry and donuts were stale and everything else was flavorless.  The MDR wasn't much better. The creme brûlée tasted like instant custard. That's probably why they can serve it on the menu each night. I have a sweet tooth and it's the same on Celebrity and Princess as well.  My A1C thanks them.  The desserts at the Vegas buffet looked about the same as the cruise line. 

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, kag19 said:

Definitely not anything near Celebrity's buffet, which is awesome. 

We've been on 21 RCCL cruises, worst cruise buffet we've ever experienced was on Celebrity Reflection a few years ago.  It was bad in every way, every day(quality, selection, etc).  A couple years ago on Silhouette it was fine.  Go figure.

Edited by bouhunter

On 9/30/2019 at 1:58 AM, Ashland said:

Come on the WJ is not at all that bad folks...and on some ships it's pretty good....after all you're on vacation and have a view of the ocean...what could be better !

I for one very much like the buffets in Vegas...Mandalay Bay, Paris, Wynn, Caesars, Mirage, Bellagio some of our favorites.

We generally like the buffet but my Wife and I stay out of it, now. Got sick (literally) and tired of watching sick passengers cough and sneeze all over everything, and in their hands, and then touch all of the serving spoons. If you get sick on a cruise, that's where it comes from, the buffet.

A buffet is a buffet is a buffet.  We have been to the best buffet in Reno, according to the area, and on some days it is good and on other days it is less than good.  I have always looked at all food on a ship that it is better than me having to do it.  I know there are some foodies that want the best food ever, but you are on a cruise ship.  If you really want the best food find the best place in your town and go there.  I know for 4 we paid $300 for a dinner, (in Reno) will never do it again, but if you want that kind of dinner on a ship be prepared to pay the price.  And then you have the people who want that quality of food everyday, at a buffet,  and a ship does not have the ability to  serve that quality.  Be glad you are on a ship and do not have to cook or clean up.  I know I will get a lot of flack because most people will not agree with me but this is my opinion.

• Like 3