Your Favorite Public Place, Is It Losing Its Appeal?

Spif Barwunkel

This is why we book a veranda cabin.  Besides really enjoying it in the morning and evening, we tend to use it a lot on sea days when it’s impossible to find a place to chill out and relax.  We have no problem getting drinks and bringing them back or ordering room service if the buffet is slammed.

We keep hearing that even on sea days it’s not hard to find a lounger near the pool on Edge, so we’re looking forward to seeing if that’s true on our cruise.  We’re also looking forward to watching sail aways from our aft veranda.

• Like 1

When did it become the cruiser’s responsibility to help make Celebrity more money by drinking down their order and get up immediately to make room for more customers?  And disrespecting the staff and other cruisers? I think trying to argue no one should play cards or read while in El Bacio has gone around the bend. It Is Another Of Many Common Areas to be used by the cruisers. And whatever reason someone is sitting and enjoying El Bacio is none of my or your business. 

Get A Grip.

Its interesting reading reasons people invent to complain and get upset about when vacationing. Stay home and you’ll have a table available any time you insist. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We love al baccio and occasionally unable to get a table....while just opposite is the sushi place which is almost always empty.  We had dinner last night in sushi on  Reflection as they had an Indian night (we dont like sushi).  Good food but the place was less than one third full.  Sadly that is the fullest we've seen it all cruise.  X should rethink the space and perhaps make it more of a multipurpose venue...ie bistro coffee shop some hours and pop up restaurants at other times.    It is sad to see some venues almost empty while others are overflowing.

We find our favourite place changes each cruise, One it'll be Martini Bar, another Cafe Bacio and on the Millennium in Feb in was the Enterprise Lounge!

On our last 2 cruises seats haven't been an issue at the Martini Bar for some reason.

9 hours ago, JOVERNITE said:

We enjoy the Solarium and, as early risers, have our pick of loungers.  It's quiet and serene even when full. 

That,s the best time...not so serene later in the day..depending on ship, itin and weather 

You have been lucky!

Edited by hcat

The Edge got rid of my favorite place on the ship.  I liked to go to the bar in the front top of the ship.  It was a very quite place to have a glass of wine and marvel at the amazing scenery.  They also got rid of Muranos.  Not a fan.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

As the typical cruiser becomes more seasoned, it is natural to develop a liking for particular areas on a cruise ship. In some cases, that place(s) becomes your go-to space for fun, socializing, personal/more private enjoyment, etc. Café Al Bacio and the Martini Bar are perfect examples of extremely popular public spaces that have developed quite a following on X ships. Using these two venues as examples, but certainly not limiting this discussion to just those two, what are your comments and ideas regarding the following?

Café Al Bacio attracts readers, card players and idlers. Nothing the matter with that. The Martini Bar attracts drinkers - alcohol, non alcohol and idlers - nothing the matter with that. At both venues when a seat becomes available, it is taken immediately. You can not expect to get lucky every time you visit your favorite place. Popularity brings in big numbers and everyone needs and deserves a chance to enjoy that atmosphere, should they desire. However, on many occasions there are those folks who have finished ordering or have ordered nothing at all. Yet, they continue to remain seated for long periods of time with no regard for other passengers who would like to have something to eat or drink, at that specific venue. In addition to that, servers and bartenders and X are not making any money on those seats. Is this okay? Is there a solution that could respectfully alleviate the problem? Is it even a problem?

Is your favorite public place losing its appeal?  

Dear Spif Barwunkel.  This is by no means a criticism.  You have been posting well written queries like this one lately.  General questions to perhaps get the boards engaged and active.  By the number of responses you get,  people seem to like your style and questions.  But your posts do not have the flavor of the average cruiser posting here.  More like a professional poster.  What is your deal?:classic_smile:  Again not a criticism.  Do you cruise often?  You seem to have <300 posts here on CC.  Do you cruise on Celebrity and/or other lines?  Do you write for the cruise or travel industries?  Or just having fun?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Interesting screen name by the way!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Edge got rid of my favorite place on the ship.  I liked to go to the bar in the front top of the ship.  It was a very quite place to have a glass of wine and marvel at the amazing scenery.  They also got rid of Muranos.  Not a fan.

I can relate to this. There are certain things I absolutely love about the Edge and certain things I actually dislike. With the S class, there is nothing that I  dislike and much I like. But I have sailed them so much that it is more like the comfortable old friend as opposed to the new cool friend who may also have some traits you don’t like. All that being said, when I was choosing between going back on Edge or an S class, I decided on Equinox. So I will say S class wins, but I am sure I will be on the Edge again in the future because of the things I did love. I just wish I loved all of it or even more of it.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM

So I need to have someone clear this up for me.  If I fall asleep in the Solarium,  am I using the Solarium in a legitimate manner?  What are the legitimate use for the loungers in the Solarium?  Are the only for use immediately before and after I use the pool or hot tubs?  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Dear Spif Barwunkel.  This is by no means a criticism.  You have been posting well written queries like this one lately.  General questions to perhaps get the boards engaged and active.  By the number of responses you get,  people seem to like your style and questions.  But your posts do not have the flavor of the average cruiser posting here.  More like a professional poster.  What is your deal?:classic_smile:  Again not a criticism.  Do you cruise often?  You seem to have <300 posts here on CC.  Do you cruise on Celebrity and/or other lines?  Do you write for the cruise or travel industries?  Or just having fun?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Interesting screen name by the way!

TeeRick - See posts 54, 55, 66 on the "Is Celebrity Sailing On Troubled Waters" thread. I hope that is sufficient in satisfying the inquiring minds.

2 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

So I need to have someone clear this up for me.  If I fall asleep in the Solarium,  am I using the Solarium in a legitimate manner?  What are the legitimate use for the loungers in the Solarium?  Are the only for use immediately before and after I use the pool or hot tubs?  

You made me smile. ^.^  

I don't really get the al bacio issue.  If it's busy during the day we get coffee to go and find somewhere to sit in one of the bars that are closed; no problem.

Our favourite spot changes each cruise.  The relaxation lounge is always good but last cruise we didn't go there at all as we were with our little one. Ocean View Cafe in the evening was brilliant; quiet, floor to ceiling windows, good drinks service.

8 hours ago, UFMOM said:

I can relate to this. There are certain things I absolutely love about the Edge and certain things I actually dislike. With the S class, there is nothing that I  dislike and much I like. But I have sailed them so much that it is more like the comfortable old friend as opposed to the new cool friend who may also have some traits you don’t like. All that being said, when I was choosing between going back on Edge or an S class, I decided on Equinox. So I will say S class wins, but I am sure I will be on the Edge again in the future because of the things I did love. I just wish I loved all of it or even more of it.

Mary Ann

I never did buy into the less is more concept.  

I thought that they (Edge) did a good job of breaking the MDRs into smaller more diverse dining areas.  

However with entertainment spaces they did the exact opposite by consolidating them into fewer larger spaces.  I suspect that it is a money saving idea.

And geez almost every cruise ship that I have ever been on (except for Edge) has a quiet bar/entertainment area at the top in the front.

Edited by NMTraveller

9 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Falling asleep  dozing off or napping happens..esp in the Solarium as it can be comfy and relaxing, but on some cruises there are rows of snoring, drooling sleepers. Reminded us sadly of the day lounge in our aunt's nursing home,  We just leave.  As  previously mentioned, the library on Oasis was about the same,,surprised us quite a bit! We did not stay to read!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My favourite daytime place is Al Bacio where I love to get a pot of tea and relax a while. Unfortunately this cannot be a 'take away' item. If I want a cup of hot-ish water and a tea bag there are several places available for this, but an actual decent pot of tea is not so easy. If I cannot find a seat I move on by and try again later, but I do feel peeved when on the second or third circuit I see the same people still seated with no purchases on their table. It would be great if more space could be found in this area as it is so popular.

• Like 4

Intersting that Celebrity has over the years eliminated many spaces that passengers could enjoy spending time, like card rooms/areas on ship.  They have also eliminated/modified areas underutilized, many times converting the area to  one that generates money.

I go to cafe Al Bacio and have most of the time no problem. We have at times, gotten our coffee, cookie, etc.  and walked down to deck 4 and even deck 3.  I do NOT have a problem with people sitting there, even playing cards. Other areas too.  For my part, we go up to the lounge at the front of the ship when we want to play cards and sit for long periods of time and we have a great view and there is so much room.  Celebrity could provide a coffee/snack station there which they do at times to encourage more use of that underutilized space (at least we have never seen it packed other than when some event or in case of a cruise that there is some cruising event, like Alaskan glaciers).  If I want another latte, I go down to deck 5 and walk back up.  

On the Martini front, I do see where people do sit at the bar long after ordering a drink and I have to say, I do wish they would move on, but I am not to judge as when I am sitting there and finished with my martini, I do not want to feel that I have to jump up if we are still talking and enjoying the moment.  Celebrity can make modifications and create some multi use/overflow areas if needed.  They know how to take away space and add more cabins. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, laslomas said:

........ If I cannot find a seat I move on by and try again later, but I do feel peeved when on the second or third circuit I see the same people still seated with no purchases on their table. It would be great if more space could be found in this area as it is so popular.

Laslomas, I agree with your initial response to a full common area, and recommend that if you go back again, don’t go around checking if there are ‘purchases’ on their table. That way you won’t ‘feel peeved’ and will be, shall we say, minding your own business. 

If I’m sitting at an El Bacio table when you do your 2nd circuit and I only have a free pastry on my table will you be peeved since I got it free and it’s not purchased?  

None of these ‘directives’ on how we are to assist others to get what I’m using work or make any sense.

Again, you don’t know how much I and my card-playing table mates have purchased, or if we are waiting for another order, or if we are taking a 2min break before ordering again, and.........It’s None Of Your Business. 

I promise not to bring my friends to your SR to play cards which is the only place you should be concerned over and have any control over.  I Promise!!

I do agree that the one kind if common area we all should not linger in for any reason is the buffet areas during high use time. We’ve played games there when not in use And not interfering with the staff’s work.

See, I can be considerate when appropriate. 

Den

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Laslomas, I agree with your initial response to a full common area, and recommend that if you go back again, don’t go around checking if there are ‘purchases’ on their table. That way you won’t ‘feel peeved’ and will be, shall we say, minding your own business. 

If I’m sitting at an El Bacio table when you do your 2nd circuit and I only have a free pastry on my table will you be peeved since I got it free and it’s not purchased?  

None of these ‘directives’ on how we are to assist others to get what I’m using work or make any sense.

Again, you don’t know how much I and my card-playing table mates have purchased, or if we are waiting for another order, or if we are taking a 2min break before ordering again, and.........It’s None Of Your Business. 

I promise not to bring my friends to your SR to play cards which is the only place you should be concerned over and have any control over.  I Promise!!

I do agree that the one kind if common area we all should not linger in for any reason is the buffet areas during high use time. We’ve played games there when not in use And not interfering with the staff’s work.

See, I can be considerate when appropriate. 

Den

I get what you are saying, and agree. I do not actually go round checking what everyone is doing. But I do not walk around the ship with my eyes closed.

My actual peeve is with Celebrity for having such a popular area and not making the most of it by finding a way to expand the area. You even quoted this from my post.

No need for an attack on me. 😕

16 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No “we” do not know what is being consumed and at what rate but the staff do and having engaged two or three of them in conversation on our last Celebrity cruise, they were all anxious about what one of them called overstayers.   When people are going to Cafe al Bacio for a particular “service” that is not available in the same way elsewhere on the ship,  it is disappointing if tables remain occupied for long periods of time by people not availing themselves of the “service”, who could enjoy their hobby/past time elsewhere.

• Like 2