Ryndam IV, the third Pinnacle-class ship taking shape

Copper10-8

The forward lower section of the third Pinnacle-class ship, Ryndam IV (Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam preceded her; how 'bout getting rid of that "Nieuw" and just calling her Statendam VI, HAL?) was launched at Palermo, Sicily on 03 Oct 2019, after officially being blessed. The plan is for this section to be towed around the "boot" of Italy and up the Adriatic to Fincantieri's Marghera yard (near Venice) for an early November arrival, where it will eventually be added to other sections like a jigsaw puzzle. Next up is the keel laying. Ryndam IV is scheduled to join the fleet in May 2021 

Ryndam-Troncone-Launch-in-Hero.jpg

RYndam blessing

Ryndam

Ryndam troncone

Ryandam troncone

Ryndam into water  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

how 'bout getting rid of that "Nieuw" and just calling her Statendam VI, HAL?

👍

I agree.  I am encouraged that whomever in Seattle decided not to name the new Pinnacle Class ship "Nieuw Ryndam".  Holland America Line has a distinguished history and it needs to be recognized and honored by naming their new ships after those vessels who so well served their guests in the past.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I apologize if I missed this somewhere, but do we know if this Pinnacle-class ship is different in any significant way from the others?  Or just decor and style differences?

They are supposed to be doing something with the positioning of the lifeboats (partially hanging overboard on her two older sisters) which will appease the Panama Canal Authority to the point that they will grant Ryndam IV permission to transit the Panama Canal, unlike Koningsdam and Nieuw S

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

They are supposed to be doing something with the positioning of the lifeboats (partially hanging overboard on her two older sisters) which will appease the Panama Canal Authority to the point that they will grant Ryndam IV permission to transit the Panama Canal, unlike Koningsdam and Nieuw S

Oh, that's a good one!  Thanks for the response, Copper10-8.

• Like 1

Thanks, Copper, for the update.  It's always fun watching the new ships "coming together."  Getting excited because we hope to sail on her in 2021.  Has HAL issued itineraries for her first year yet?  Our PCC said she'd email as soon as this information becomes available, but she's in Europe right now.  Just wondering if anyone has heard.

Will there be any new venues/restaurants?  Anything to distinguish her from her two older sisters?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Maybe we should just start calling her plain Statendam.

Not unless it's official (which is what she should have been named in the first place, but since she wasn't ... .) 
Right now some posters are referring to her as the 'Statendam', and it's always confusing. The Statendam is a different ship. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

The forward lower section of the third Pinnacle-class ship, Ryndam IV (Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam preceded her; how 'bout getting rid of that "Nieuw" and just calling her Statendam VI, HAL?) was launched at Palermo, Sicily on 03 Oct 2019, after officially being blessed. The plan is for this section to be towed around the "boot" of Italy and up the Adriatic to Fincantieri's Marghera yard (near Venice) for an early November arrival, where it will eventually be added to other sections like a jigsaw puzzle. Next up is the keel laying. Ryndam IV is scheduled to join the fleet in May 2021 

Ryndam-Troncone-Launch-in-Hero.jpg

RYndam blessing

Ryndam

Ryndam troncone

Ryandam troncone

Ryndam into water  

Good morning John!

This simply amazes me how they build their ships in stages! Thank you so much for the current photos!

2004 was our first cruise on HAL and it was a wonderful Sea of Cortez Cruise on  Ryndam!

Denise😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Interesting. Were the designers of the K and NS aware of that when the ships were built ?  It seems like quite a substantial investment by HAL  for two new ships that can't access the canal. Or am I missing something ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

Interesting. Were the designers of the K and NS aware of that when the ships were built ?  It seems like quite a substantial investment by HAL  for two new ships that can't access the canal. Or am I missing something ? 

Don't have an answer for you on that one. Not sure if it came as a complete surprise when the PCA first notified HAL of their objections.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the very informative thread. Is the Panama Canal ban for the two Pinnacle's for both the old and new canal? Was it because the lifeboat overhangs make them too wide? Seems like some ship designers didn't do their homework.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Thanks for the very informative thread. Is the Panama Canal ban for the two Pinnacle's for both the old and new canal? Was it because the lifeboat overhangs make them too wide? Seems like some ship designers didn't do their homework.

They are definitely too big for the old canal (Vistas and Signatures really stretch the dimensions to the max.  I think the issue with  the new canal is that they use tug boats instead of mules and the ships are not as securely centered in the new locks.  If a ship moves too far to the side while a ship is in the bottom of the chamber an overhanging lifeboat  can strike the wall.

Not sure but I think the final regulations were published after the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam were beyond the point of modification.

Roy

• Like 1

I hope I am alive and cruising when the RYNDAM comes on line.  I hope they restore the promenade walking deck.  Do not like it on the two Pinnacle Ships.  My disappointment id that HAL did not build two more Signature Class ships.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Himself said:

I hope I am alive and cruising when the RYNDAM comes on line.  I hope they restore the promenade walking deck.  Do not like it on the two Pinnacle Ships.  My disappointment id that HAL did not build two more Signature Class ships.

From your lips to God's ear!