Bringing coke urring check in.

cruiseelady

Anyone actually brought soda on board during check in day?  Was it confiscated?  I am only asking those who have brought the soda, may it be in a can or bottle.

And no, I am not planning to hide it.  It will be in my bookbag and the security can see it clearly.

The reason why I ask is that they don't always go by their own rules.  I have brought wine from NY port, many many times.  I had never ever been told to pay corkage fee.  No I do not hide it.  It is was always in my bookbag, the security always could see it.

• Like 2

You could always try, but don't be upset if it is confiscated.

We have a liquid exception, so we are allowed to bring liquids on the ship. We've had some security people freak out and try to take our stuff even after we explain the exception. And we've had other times when no one bats an eye. 

1 hour ago, cruiseelady said:

Anyone actually brought soda on board during check in day?  Was it confiscated?  I am only asking those who have brought the soda, may it be in a can or bottle.

And no, I am not planning to hide it.  It will be in my bookbag and the security can see it clearly.

The reason why I ask is that they don't always go by their own rules.  I have brought wine from NY port, many many times.  I had never ever been told to pay corkage fee.  No I do not hide it.  It is was always in my bookbag, the security always could see it.

F01E9301-4D03-4C3F-967D-AEF8D09B4E4A.jpeg

2 hours ago, cruiseelady said:

I've bought a 3-4 bottles of diet coke from the vending machines in NYC after checking on our last 3 cruises out of there. Put them in my backpack and walked on the ship, no issues. I've done it in Tampa, Miami and Seattle also without a problem

Edited by Laszlo

29 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

I've bought a 3-4 bottles of diet coke from the vending machines in NYC after checking on our last 3 cruises out of there. Put them in my backpack and walked on the ship, no issues. I've done it in Tampa, Miami and Seattle also without a problem

Ok, so basically I have to check in first and look for the vending machine.  That is pre security screening I assume?  I wonder why it was not confiscated.  I mean how did they know you did not bring it from home and brought it from vending machine.  It seems from vending machine its allowed.

Might do it that way or bring from home.  Not loosing more then a buck fifty so really not a big deal.

19 minutes ago, cruiseelady said:

Ok, so basically I have to check in first and look for the vending machine.  That is pre security screening I assume?  I wonder why it was not confiscated.  I mean how did they know you did not bring it from home and brought it from vending machine.  It seems from vending machine its allowed.

Might do it that way or bring from home.  Not loosing more then a buck fifty so really not a big deal.

You go through security and then you go to check-in. No security again as long as you don't leave the holding room. That might have vending machines. 

I accidentally brought a coke back on ship after an excursion.  It was in the outside pocket of my backpack and I remembered it just as I got to check-in and just left it there, figuring they would take it.  Nope.  Same thing with bottled water.  So you just never know.

The source isn't the issue, as it's not because of security like at the airport.  NCL rules say no bottled water or soft drinks are to be brought on board.

Soda is not allowed. Period.  However, I have been allowed to bring a single bottle on at times.  Water as well.  It is really up to person checking.  I doubt they would let you bring a six pack or a carton at any time.  

I wish they did allow soda .. i was horrified when I got on Escape last month (first time on NCL) and saw they served PEPSI !    😝

I'd bring a case of my Diet Coke next time if i could .. i haaaaaaate Pepsi .. esp. fountain Pepsi ... 

• Like 5

When boarding your ship you pass through security to remove

WMD (weapons of mass destruction)

ToP (toys of pleasure)

LSL (life sustaining liquids)

and a host of other things - irons hair dryers drones kitchen sinks etc.

Security is either done on board the ship (gangway) or in the port terminal area.

When done in the terminal areas it is usually by a contracted private security firm.

When done in the gangway (on board the ship) it is by NCL own security team.

Contracted security is done at the port of embarkation and no further checks

are done in the boarding process.

Thus after passing through the terminal security point if there are beverage

machines it is possible to purchase the beverages and take these on board

without further to do.

You will not be able to do this at ports of call since NCL does the security

on board (gangway)

By the time you realize that you can do this the beverage machines are no doubt

sold out or have a limited availability.

Wouldn't you just love to cart the whole machine on board and start a new

enterprise selling your own ?

But alas it is not all the simple - having a bottle/can of COKE and NCL will have
a Spanish Inquisition of this contraband - with NCL only things go better with PEPSI !

To be honest, I would think NCL would make more money with vending machines than they do with having cans of Pepsi products in the mini-fridge.  I'd probably buy more since half of the time the ones in the minibar aren't replaced.  Charge $3 bucks (pretty standard cost for bottles at many of the ports), forget the absurd 15% gratuity for putting something in your minibar, get the bottled stuff and you've got a winner in my opinion.

You mean NCL hasn't decided to charge a 20% grat on vending machine purchases "for your convenience" quite yet?  After all, the guy who fills the vending machine might like to get on the "auto grat" bandwagon - surely he works as hard as the guy at the bar who opens your can of soda, or the one who delivers your overpriced bottled water to your cabin, or refills the minibar....

• Like 1

You can buy from the post-security vending machines in Manhattan and put them in your carry-on, they don't rescreen you again.  Two out of three times they haven't charged me for wine in the carry-on.  They sent the bag through x-ray, no one said anything, just move along please.  Even if they directed me to the table where someone charges you, I don't think anyone would do anything if I just walked on by.

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

You can buy from the post-security vending machines in Manhattan and put them in your carry-on, they don't rescreen you again.  Two out of three times they haven't charged me for wine in the carry-on.  They sent the bag through x-ray, no one said anything, just move along please.  Even if they directed me to the table where someone charges you, I don't think anyone would do anything if I just walked on by.

I'm surprised that NCL allows vending machines past port security.  I would think that they would want people to buy the onboard soda.  It could be that NCL has no control of the port area since they don't own it.  In that case, I'm sure NCL wishes that the vending machines weren't allowed.

8 hours ago, brookie848 said:

You could always try, but don't be upset if it is confiscated.

We have a liquid exception, so we are allowed to bring liquids on the ship. We've had some security people freak out and try to take our stuff even after we explain the exception. And we've had other times when no one bats an eye. 

I know drinks (soda, water, etc) is not allowed but are you saying liquids are not allowed. I travel with my own hand sanitizer as well as a liquid vitamin called elderberry syrup. Is this not allowed either? This will be our 1st time cruising with NCL.