Sailing ship for 2nd time?

havanadaydreaming

In our first year of cruising, we did 3 lines- Princess, Celestyal and P&O. 

We read about NCL Jade having to suddenly leave Hawaii, and the prices were so low... had a great cruise round the British Isles, so when we heard that she was having to sail in the Med over winter, we booked her again. 

Since then we've tried other lines or ships, but our repeats have been on P&O's Ventura and Fred Olsen's Balmoral- the large one for round trips UK-Caribbean-UK, when we need plenty of activities; the small one because she visits unusual ports.

My cruise #1 was on Rotterdam V, an 11 day Caribbean cruise from New York.  I enjoyed it so much that I booked cruise #2 on Rotterdam V for a 9 day Caribbean cruise from New York.  I did so because I wanted to provide my Brother and Mother an experience that I knew they would enjoy.  For my Brother, it was a college graduation gift.  For my Mother, it was a "thank God they are both now on their own!" as well as a new travel experience for a woman who taught me to enjoy traveling!

I have had other repeats on other ships (including a third cruise on Rotterdam V shortly before she was retired from the HAL fleet).  Often, when I step aboard an "old friend", I feel like "I'm coming home".  

Since we've done several B2Bs, yes we've sailed on the same ship more than once. But only because the itineraries on each appealed to us. So far we haven't sailed on the same ship more than twice, and haven't yet found a ship so special that we would choose it over the itinerary.

We enjoy sailing out of Port Canaveral because it means no flying...so we have a lot of multiple ship sailings from there....

I am not sure about them all but I do know we sailed on Freedom of the Seas 8 times, Oasis of the Seas 8 times and have already been on the Harmony of the a Seas 3 times.

We really don’t care where the ship is going we just like to sail....😁😁

we also do the best bang for the buck, however, we are limited to school breaks....

So, we ended up on the same ship twice in 10 years: Indy of the Seas twice and Regal Princess 3 times.

If RCI offered more bang for the buck, we'd definitely sail with them more. NCL would have to be pretty close to free for us to sail with them again.

On 10/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, TxTeach79 said:

It took me a few, but I've repeated several... Freedom, Jubilee, Victory, Sensation, Dream, Grand Princess, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess..... on princess it's no big deal, because all  their ships have basically the same decor and similar layouts... I don't know... doesn't bother me. Each cruise a new adventure, and the  familiarity can be fun... it's like coming home, the learning curve is gone and the ship is infused with good memories. 

"the ship is infused with good memories"

I like your attitude!   

Our first repeat was Crown Princess.   I'm guessing but it probably happened within a couple of years.  Now we have been on the Crown several times and have repeated three or four others too.  

On 10/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

How many cruises did it take for (some of) you to sail on a ship for the 2nd time? 

3 of my first 4 cruises were on the same ship.  It was the NCL Seaward, aka Norwegian Sea.

We've only cruised 8 times so far, and repeated one ship, Carnival Conquest 2 yrs in a tow. The ship wasn't our favourite, bug the date and itinerary worked out best gor us. This year  we will be on RCL's Adventure of the Seas for the 2nd time.

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

3 of my first 4 cruises were on the same ship.  It was the NCL Seaward, aka Norwegian Sea.

I had forgotten (or else blocked a bad memory), but I actually sailed Norwegian Sea twice - from New York to Bermuda in Summer 2003 (good itinerary, truncated by early departure due to coming storm - which cost us our scheduled overnight at Dockyard -small loss) and again in Winter 2004 from Houston to Western Caribbean —- not because I liked the ship in any way, or thought the ports: Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cancun were worth the time, but because I had business in Houston just before the cruise and a scheduled visit with family just after - the price was very cheap: much less than flying back home and then down again, and it seemed a better way of spending a winter week than back in CT.

It really did convince me that NCL, in spite of being inexpensive and going to warm places, was simply not worth the fares asked

I think it come down to,

do you something new and different all the time ( like my mum )

or do go back to somewhere because you enjoyed it ( us )

Yes we have sailed on one ship 4 times and then did it in the same cabin and on the next couple of cruises moved to cabin next door....

It a bit like a holiday home... but everything id done for you...

Cheers Don

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I had forgotten (or else blocked a bad memory), but I actually sailed Norwegian Sea twice - from New York to Bermuda in Summer 2003 (good itinerary, truncated by early departure due to coming storm - which cost us our scheduled overnight at Dockyard -small loss) and again in Winter 2004 from Houston to Western Caribbean —- not because I liked the ship in any way, or thought the ports: Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Cancun were worth the time, but because I had business in Houston just before the cruise and a scheduled visit with family just after - the price was very cheap: much less than flying back home and then down again, and it seemed a better way of spending a winter week than back in CT.

It really did convince me that NCL, in spite of being inexpensive and going to warm places, was simply not worth the fares asked

My first 2 trips on the ship when it was called Seaward were excellent but my 3rd, when the name changed to Norwegian Sea, was right after they implemented their Freestyle gimmick.  It was a night and day difference.  The service, food, everything became crap.  It was 10 years before I gave NCL another shot.  

• Like 1

cruises 2 and 3 were not only the same ship, but the same cabin.   we just fell into a fantabulous deal for the second cruise mere months after the initial one.  

we have sailed the same class several times.   our  Alaska cruise next year will be the first time on that particular class and I still want to hit one of the larger Royal ships eventually.  

Let's see, I have to think about this.

Yes, second cruise was on the same ship as the first. 😄

Oh, and third cruise was on the same ship.  Oh, and same cabin as the 2nd cruise.

And, let's see, yes, the 4th cruise was on the same ship.  And, you guessed it, same cabin as the last two.

And booked for a 5th cruise on the same ship.  Not same cabin, as it was not available, so the other side of the ship.

Oh, and booked on another cruise on that same ship. 😄

Yeah, we like Grandeur of the Seas.

Edited by SRF

11 hours ago, Aquahound said:

My first 2 trips on the ship when it was called Seaward were excellent but my 3rd, when the name changed to Norwegian Sea, was right after they implemented their Freestyle gimmick.  It was a night and day difference.  The service, food, everything became crap.  It was 10 years before I gave NCL another shot.  

My first NCL trip was on the Norway (formerly TS France) - a lovely ship, showing her age, but still with good service.  After my two  very disappointing experiences on Norwegian Sea, I stayed clear for a number of years - until tempted by an inexpensive,  easy-to-get-to winter Caribbean sailing from New York on Gem. It was almost like spending ten days in a Walmart.

There was good reason for it to be so inexpensive - the food, service and entertainment had continued NCL's downward slide.  I suppose its low prices attract enough budget-minded customers to fill its bunks -- but the line seems to have reached the point where there is simply so little value offered that they cannot price it cheaply enough to be of interest. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:35 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

How many cruises did it take for (some of) you to sail on a ship for the 2nd time? 

Just curious, I'm coming up on my 9th cruise and we haven't been on same ship, yet.  Nothing intentional we just try to cruise on the best bang for the buck itinerary during certain quarters of the year.   

Paradise in 2 months is first cruise we've booked with a very specific timeline... and we are paying a premium rate due to demand.  

I have no idea as we started to cruise in the 80's and we were cruising on 5 different cruise lines.

We’ve sailed Coral Princess 7 times (yup - our favorite ship).  Great ship features and size is perfect for us.  It’s like coming home and we enjoy hanging out in favorite spots, and knowing where to go for good scenic viewing.  

We enjoy trying other ships, and select a cruise based on itinerary and then select the ship if there are options.