Le Petit Chef can't be making as much $ as the restaurant it replaced (Qsine)

fstuff1

5 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Le Petit Chef only runs twice a night: 545p and 830p.

Even at $10 cheaper, I bet Qsine has higher revenue because of faster turnover (?)

I thought Le Petit Chef and Qsine are the same venue? At least on the M Class ships.

47 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I thought Le Petit Chef and Qsine are the same venue? At least on the M Class ships.

LPC and Qsine are totally different concepts with very different menus.

We did LPC on the Eclipse (we had a significant amount of non-refundable OBC to burn), and, at least for us, don't envision us returning any time soon.

We really enjoyed our first visit to LPC, second time less so, the novelty had worn off and the meal was late starting too as the M’D was waiting for two groups of guests who were late....

We weren’t over fond of Q’sine either. We preferred Silk Harvest which has now also gone...

I don’t want “cute food” or “fad food” so neither LPC nor Qsine appealed.

I would like to see a rotating menu of different ethnic and regional foods — something like Monday night Greek, Tuesday night Indian, Wednesday night Thai, Thursday night Northern Italian, Friday night German, Saturday night regional American specialties, Sunday night Hispanic.  I would be tempted to return to the venue more than once if it didn’t repeat the exact same menu night after night.

• Like 5

No idea about revenues but eventually it will peter out or just appeal to new cruisers.

LPC is gimmicky.  No desire to eat a timed courses group  meal with cartoons .  A none and done for us.

Q sine was quirky but had really good food,  an ecclectic menu with many choices,   artful presentation,  very good service . A fun time  which could be repeated.

We'll miss it. We were also fans of Bistro on Five..also gone.  On EDGE, the Cafe Bistro is superb...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t want “cute food” or “fad food” so neither LPC nor Qsine appealed.

I would like to see a rotating menu of different ethnic and regional foods — something like Monday night Greek, Tuesday night Indian, Wednesday night Thai, Thursday night Northern Italian, Friday night German, Saturday night regional American specialties, Sunday night Hispanic.  I would be tempted to return to the venue more than once if it didn’t repeat the exact same menu night after night.

I so agree! It would be really nice if they incorporated some food from the ports of call too...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Even at $10 cheaper, I bet Qsine has higher revenue because of faster turnover (?)

No real difference in time. They allow about 2 hours for a course, so Qsine would have a similar early and then late session available. The time in the middle is to allow for table change.

As for revenue, the idea of lpc is that costs are much lower. With a similar revenue, profit will be higher.

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

We really enjoyed our first visit to LPC, second time less so, the novelty had worn off

new animation at LPC starting next week, at least on my cruise (silhouette).

and all new menu to go along with the animation.

but unless i get a 50% discount like i did recently, i'm not going.

it's kinda worth $27.50 for the novelty, no way is it worth $55

14 hours ago, beloum said:

LPC is a complete waste of money.   Whoever came up with that idiotic idea should be fired.   

Totally agree. Was recently on Equinox and they dropped the price from.$55  to $40 but still not interested. Two other couples at my table went one night I declined and they said they wished they hadn't bothered.  

We enjoyed LPC, and went twice on the last cruise- they have two different menus.  But I have to agree that it would either be at a significant discount, or travelling with new cruisers that would get me to go back. 

I felt the same way about Qsine, though.  Disco Shrimp isn't so novel the 3rd or 4th time.  

I liked Silk Harvest well enough. Bo5 was o.k. We go to Tuscan mostly for the variety from other Specialties, but it's just o.k..  The only one we consistently opt for is Murano.  Sushi on 5 is also good, but one of us isn't a fan of seafood, so there's only so many beef sliders and so much tempura he's willing to eat.

I think that many of these are intended as a one-and-done.  If the new cruiser is the holy grail, they are hoping that he/she will go for two nights in Specialty, a few ship's shore excursions, two spa treatments, a photo package and some shopping on board, and maybe the new cruiser might not have a drinks package. THAT CRUISER the target of all this.

They certainly don't get that out of me any longer.  For Specialty restaurants, we are likely using up OBC. I get one manicure per cruise usually, also OBC, I have either the drinks package or use Elite Happy Hour, I never buy photos- I have thousands of ships photos from the early years, and we rarely do a ship's excursion.  A sale t-shirt is a rare purchase. 

But I'm sure glad they have all these ways of making money...keeps my cruise fares from rising too much!

We who cruise often are fortunate enough to  become a little tired of their offerings.  But loyalty is only so valuable, given our spending habits.

Oh, and the next concept for Cellar Masters should be to combine it with a tapas bar!!!  Now THERE I could see dropping some serious coin...for the first few cruises, anyway.😉

Andrew

• Like 3

15 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

As much as we enjoyed Qsine and Silk Harvest it was rare that either was more than half full.  With a large number of courses the pace of dinner at both could be somewhat slow, but speeding it up wouldn't have impacted the bottom line.

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

they cant do local meats for health/liability reasons.

e. coli, tape worms, etc

When we cruised Eclipse they had fresh sardines in, I think, Lisbon...If they are on a 5/6 month circuit surely they could sort something...

Pretty sure the reviews of LPC are pretty great.  Everything I've seen seem to show that people really like it, and that it isn't something most people can experience "back home."

On like a 2-3,000 passenger ship, there are probably way more than enough first time cruisers or first time on celebrity to fill out like 4 seatings of a specialty restaurant.  Even if it is a "one and done"  If it gets great reviews and if it pulls passengers in, then what more do you need? 

PS I've never eaten at Qsine but it seems kind of out of touch.  "deconstructed" guacamole is laughable and represents everything wrong about deconstructing food.

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

PS I've never eaten at Qsine but it seems kind of out of touch.  "deconstructed" guacamole is laughable and represents everything wrong about deconstructing food.

What do you mean by deconstructed?

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

Pretty sure the reviews of LPC are pretty great.  Everything I've seen seem to show that people really like it, and that it isn't something most people can experience "back home."

On like a 2-3,000 passenger ship, there are probably way more than enough first time cruisers or first time on celebrity to fill out like 4 seatings of a specialty restaurant.  Even if it is a "one and done"  If it gets great reviews and if it pulls passengers in, then what more do you need? 

Having actually eaten at Qsine several times can tell you while the offerings were a bit quirky, they were well prepared and for the most part delicious.  The small plates format had so many offerings, many of which could not be found elsewhere aboard ship, you needed to return several times to sample everything.  It will be missed.  Have not been to LPC yet but seems a bit gimmicky and not a place we would regularly visit.