White Island erupts.

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Of course there is risk in everything. But the topic is about this specific risk, not just any risk at all. And this tour had its own greater than normal risks.

Oh dear, your still trying to push your point at a time like this, very sad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They are cruising onto Wellington and Picton.  The Sounds have been dropped. Arriving back in Sydney on Monday morning 16th Dec.

Some staff have remained in Tauranga to assist the families who have family members in hospital.

A credit equal to one day of the cruise is to be credited to everyone's onboard account.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The Auckland Police launch  Deodar has travelled to White Island . MarineTraffic site shows it at the landing site , so they may be able to go ashore . 

local time We’d 11 Dec. 11 am

On my Marine Traffic it looks like they are off shore - there’s also what is described as a Tug there as well. The latest updates are over 3 hours ago though

Ovation is just to the NE of the island now and the NZ Navy vessel appears to be leaving the scene 

C9EDA914-6103-4BC5-8C6D-DEC8E6979A0F.thumb.png.34d323244cbc3c128cdf3479f247a741.png

73884E95-C4E2-4E46-AA1A-B79982845E9B.png

A9813BFB-BEC7-4652-858E-5925FA52DA36.png

29A428D7-8E0E-435E-9558-4AF34AAE1664.png

Edited by Stickman1990

I'm ticked off due to media reports (in almost all cases) are mentioning only Australian victims. People of other nationalities were victims too but, to the media, they don't exist. Are we so self-centred these day?

Edited by lyndarra
grammar

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I'm ticked off due to media reports (in almost all cases) are mentioning only Australian victims. People of other nationalities were victims too but, to the media, they don't exist. Are we so self-centred these day?

Media headline right now is of the 47 on the island - 24 Aussies, 9 Americans, 5 Kiwis, 4 Germans, 2 Brits, one Malaysian and one Chinese.

Due to the horrific nature of the burns it would appear they are still in the difficult process of identifying.

My heart goes out to those who are in hospital battling severe burns to the majority of their body.  Think Turia Pitt. And of course those families whose loved ones have not been recovered from the island.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Always been that way. Look at how sports or any previous disaster is reported.

31 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I confirmed that my staff member is on the Oviation of the Seas. They are fine. They didn't have much more to say. 

Sarah so pleased to hear your staff member is safe.

Leigh

There was a panic today at work as someone with the same name (different city of residence) is reported as missing and some people getting very upset for their colleague. Someone came to check with me and I quickly told them that the particular person they fear dead or missing is on another ship currently heading to Hobart (from NZ) and she will be fine.  I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions.

Very sad about this New Zealand news!!  This includes about the impact on the victims from Australia, etc.  We are now about two months till we depart for Auckland and New Zealand.  Still need to focus more directly as to what and where to focus our time in the NZ North Island before boarding our cruise on Feb. 17 from Auckland as we sail the South Pacific on the way to Papeete.

From the New York Times  today, they had this headline: “Why Were Tourists Allowed to Visit an Active New Zealand Volcano?” with this subhead: "Visitors were allowed to tour the mouth of the White Island volcano despite recent warnings about bursts of gas and steam.".  

A couple of months ago, I was  researching and considering taking a helicopter out to this unique island.  Seemed like an interesting idea at that time, but not cheap.  Clearly this option is scratched now given these developments.  Here are more highlights from this NY Times article: “Geologists had repeatedly warned of increased volcanic activity is now the subject of an investigation, with the death toll from the eruption Monday having risen to six. As of Tuesday afternoon, eight others were also believed to have died, with emergency workers still unable to reach the island to retrieve them.  And the question heard is: Why was anyone allowed to tour the crater of an active volcano, despite warnings about bursts of gas and steam in recent weeks?  And why, as of Tuesday, were there no clear answers to who is ultimately accountable for ensuring visitors’ safety: the family that owns the remote island, or the government charged with enforcing health and safety regulations?”

Here is more background from this NY Times story: "The volcano is the island’s main draw. The town of Whakatane calls itself the 'Gateway to White Island,” and much of the local economy is driven by tourist visits. Already, locals are concerned about the effect the eruption will have on the community as questions of disclosure and negligence swirl.  White Island has long been promoted as New Zealand’s most active volcano, appearing in 'Lord of the Rings'. Around 70 percent of the volcano sits under the water, and tourists walk into its crater and up to the lip of its crater lake, peering into its cavity to see its endlessly boiling core."

Full NY Times story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/world/asia/new-zealand-volcano.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 226,439 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Not too sure if this has been mentioned yet, I read a news report earlier today of some passengers on the OTS are complaining that they will now miss Dunedin and the sounds, due to the extended stay in Tauranga. 

Mindboggling! 

23 minutes ago, Fletch1 said:

Not too sure if this has been mentioned yet, I read a news report earlier today of some passengers on the OTS are complaining that they will now miss Dunedin and the sounds, due to the extended stay in Tauranga. 

Mindboggling! 

Sadly not thinking of those that won't ever see their families again poor form on their part

8 minutes ago, Hawka said:

Sadly not thinking of those that won't ever see their families again poor form on their part

I think Id have had to leave the ship  if I'd been on it. The atmosphere on board must be awful. I wondered if people left at Tauranga? 

• Like 1