Breakfast Served in Main Dining Room?

bryanem

I believe I have read before that they serve breakfast in the main dining room, the same place you have dinner. 

Can someone please confirm that, and if so, is it less crowded than going to the Windjammer or wherever the Main breakfast buffet is?  

Thanks. 

Might be a dumb question. But.   Do all the ships MDR also have a buffet as well in the same room?      I like that’d they do.    

never being on a RCL I’m new to some of these things.   I’ve done CCL and NCL.  

• Like 2

Most if not all ships have a  buffet in the main dining room as well as à la cart menu. You can enjoy both. 

Some  ships have a much more extensive main dining room breakfast buffet than others, and some have a live station. I just returned from mariner and went one morning and they were making fresh waffles with a variety of toppings in the live station. 

main dining room breakfast hours vary slightly on sea days versus port days. The hours will be listed in the Compass and on the app

enjoy

m

9 minutes ago, packedandready said:

I did not know the MDR had a buffet for breakfast. What is on it?

There is pretty much what you find in the Windjammer such as eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, beans, cereals, juices, all kinds of fruit, sometimes fruit smoothies, etc.  As already mentioned, I have seen the fresh waffles which I love. 

4 hours ago, bryanem said:

I believe I have read before that they serve breakfast in the main dining room, the same place you have dinner. 

Can someone please confirm that, and if so, is it less crowded than going to the Windjammer or wherever the Main breakfast buffet is?  

Thanks. 

May or may not be in the same dining room that you have dinner.  There is only one dining room assigned for breakfast.  Just check your daily paper for which one it is.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

If you do go to the MDR, be ready for average at best service if you order off the menu. That's been my consistent experience with few exceptions.

I guess that’s why you have the buffet while you wait for your hot fresh food.  Lol.  

win win.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bryanem said:

Thanks. 

We are early risers. We ate breakfast in the MDR at around 7-730 on Anthem. We were one of the first ones in. We only went to Windjammer for breakfast once and will never go back after the wonderful service and quiet MDR. It was the best breakfast experience that I have ever had on a cruise ship which includes sailings on Celebrity and Princess. The buffet in the MDR had all of the basics like danish, fruit, cereal, waffles, french toast and eggs and breakfast meat. If you are in a hurry it's a good choice if you want to avoid the buffet in Windjammer.  They also came to the table and offered danish and bread. I ordered fresh squeezed OJ every morning and we ordered off of the menu. It really didn't start getting busy until around 8:30 and by then we were leaving. Even at 8:30 it was still better than Windjammer. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Might be a dumb question. But.   Do all the ships MDR also have a buffet as well in the same room?      I like that’d they do. ...

Some have only cold items on the buffet, some have both hot and cold on the buffet.

9 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

I guess that’s why you have the buffet while you wait for your hot fresh food.  Lol.  

win win.  

The 'trick' to eating in the MDR for breakfast as far as we've found is ask your wait staff at dinner what other shifts they work.

What I mean by that is, all dining staff work iirc 2 shifts, and the senior ones generally work what suits them better gaining the best 'rest' between shifts.

We've found that once you ask your regular waiters and for that matter your respective 'area' supervisor, and of course you 'promise' to turn up haha ... they'll always have your favourite table waiting for you whether that be for 2 or for a family group!

Obviously there's renumeration involved - like everything else - but it works for us, is hassle free and the relationship with your evening waiters increases even more so ... 

I also personally see it the same way that we do MTD! 

Try it .. it may work for you too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

May or may not be in the same dining room that you have dinner.  There is only one dining room assigned for breakfast.  Just check your daily paper for which one it is.

If you have a multilevel dining room, breakfast is generally served on the lowest level.

m

The actual menu to order off of have been reduced to only 4 or 5 items; when you get to the dining room they ask if you want to order off menu or just have the buffet.  If you reply buffet they seat you immediately.  If you say menu, and there is a line, you will wait in line.  Most of the items from the menu are readily found on the buffet.  If there is no line this isn't a concern, just a tip to save time. 

Anthem had the usual breakfast items on the menu, eggs to order, omelets, pancakes, French toast and so on.  Their sides were pretty good, especially cheddar cheese grits.

cold and hot cereals on menu or  at buffet.  It is worth eating In the  MDR just for the peace and mostly quiet!