Suggestions for a heart healthy diet in board.......

zdad59

My gang and I will be travelling on Summit in a few weeks.      This will be the first cruise since my Veteran's Day heart attack.😲      I am down 40 pounds since the"event" and am feeling really good.    I got the all clear from the doctors to  "live the cruise life" for a week.    I can take advantage of the drink package and eat well as I see fit    My obligation to them is to exercise each day and once the cruise is over, get back on the wagon.    I do intent to enjoy myself, but for the most part want to eat smart.     We are in Aqua Class so we will be dining in Blu each night.    I intend to talk to the Mater Di and chef about low sodium and heart healthy meals, but will eat well.    I'll also make sure the waiters understand the need for portion control.    I don't want them piling it on.   I want to focus on quality, not volume.

Has anyone out there had to focus on heart healthy eating while on a Celebrity cruise?   Any Advice?   Suggestions?  

They have every food type known to man, so many amazing options you can fill a plate with salad, veggies, fruits no problem! And dinners can be adapted for you - ask for no sauce, or extra veg, lean meat/fish. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your new healthy lifestyle!

• Like 1

There is an abundance of salad options for lunch in the buffet as well as fresh fruit.  You can order fish at almost every meal and ask for extra veggies!  The only problem is that there is a temptation at every turn!  The gyms are great, and it is very enjoyable walking around the decks!

• Like 2

BLU is the perfect  choice for healthy dining, less salt, lighter on gravies etc.  Many nice salad enterees.  And other  healthy menu options.  They will customize to your dietary needs.  I often order double  veggies, baked potato and sauces on the side.  

For lunch, skip the burgers and pizza..focus of salads and lean protein.

Walk as much as possible and cut down or eliminate alcoholic bevs.

As my dr tells me, my diabetes does not stay home when I go in a cruise!

Have fun...you deserve a great vacation.

one thing that really impressed us on Solstice was the food - you can eat as healthy or unhealthy as you want - in the

OVC there are stations with salads / gluten / dairy free...etc... it's up to you how much you put in your mouth!

I did eat well on the cruise but we walked around the deck 2-3 times a day to work it off

• Like 1

Congratulations on your 40# weight loss.  There's nothing like an incentive, is there?

There is a grill section in OCV that is very good, your choice of chicken, fish, steak.  I also like to eat lunch at Aqua Spa cafe as there is no lunch served in Blu.  Love their Caprese salad and the little dishes of tuna and salmon.  You can have as many as you want.

Enjoy your cruise.  You deserve it.

• Like 3

You definitely need to speak to the maitre d' regarding sodium.  The soups (in Blu also) are absolutely loaded with it as are most of the gravies and sauces.  Even the $139 chef's table in Murano was seriously heavy in sodium.  I tasted/nibbled everything but that was about it.  If you tell your maitre d' when you get onboard, they'll do a great job working with you.  

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

My gang and I will be travelling on Summit in a few weeks.      This will be the first cruise since my Veteran's Day heart attack.😲      I am down 40 pounds since the"event" and am feeling really good.    I got the all clear from the doctors to  "live the cruise life" for a week.    I can take advantage of the drink package and eat well as I see fit    My obligation to them is to exercise each day and once the cruise is over, get back on the wagon.    I do intent to enjoy myself, but for the most part want to eat smart.     We are in Aqua Class so we will be dining in Blu each night.    I intend to talk to the Mater Di and chef about low sodium and heart healthy meals, but will eat well.    I'll also make sure the waiters understand the need for portion control.    I don't want them piling it on.   I want to focus on quality, not volume.

Has anyone out there had to focus on heart healthy eating while on a Celebrity cruise?   Any Advice?   Suggestions?  

If you have some guidelines to provide the Maitre d' then they will most certainly go a long way to assist you in this.

I Am sure you will be very happy with meals prepared in Blu.

OVC will be a good choice as well for meals ... just keep your focus on 'healthy' while roaming the lines...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

It isnt a matter of food choice availability that is the issue; it is what you decide to put on your plate then into your mouth!  I dont gain any weight during a cruise because I say No to things I might really like but know I shouldnt eat.  You cant go wrong with steamed "everything"and dont have the dressings. Raw fruit and veg whenever possible.

Edited by Pushka

I will echo what FoxTrot said, it is all about common sense.  I am now coming up on 6 years since I dodged my own heart attack and 20 years of dealing with Type 2 diabetes.  We have been on many cruises and I get to eat well, enjoy myself, even have a scoop of ice cream each day but I know I can't over do it, I know I need to hit the gym on sea days and walk my miles on shore days.  I came within minutes literally of never meeting my grandchildren.  I was very lucky that my wife dragged me to the ER that night, very lucky I went home 5 days later with two big stents but no heart damage.  It was a pretty sobering experience.  Yes, common sense.  Celebrity is great about working with their guests on our dietary issues.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

I will echo what FoxTrot said, it is all about common sense.  I am now coming up on 6 years since I dodged my own heart attack and 20 years of dealing with Type 2 diabetes.  We have been on many cruises and I get to eat well, enjoy myself, even have a scoop of ice cream each day but I know I can't over do it, I know I need to hit the gym on sea days and walk my miles on shore days.  I came within minutes literally of never meeting my grandchildren.  I was very lucky that my wife dragged me to the ER that night, very lucky I went home 5 days later with two big stents but no heart damage.  It was a pretty sobering experience.  Yes, common sense.  Celebrity is great about working with their guests on our dietary issues.  

We are exactly in the same boat.     I thought I had indigestion and didn't want to to the hospital.    My wife insisted.    I had two stents put in withing 30 minutes of arriving in the ER.    Spent 4 days in ICU.   The docs were clear that if I didn't come in I would not have seen the next morning.    VERY SOBERING.     I have made a good start on lifestyle changes.    Eating smart, exercising a lot.    I want to keep it up and cruise a whole lot more.

Thanks for the encouragement.    

• Like 2

Congrats on losing 40lbs - that's fantastic.

You can also ask the maitre D to see the next days dinner menu the evening before to choose an option they can make a low sodium version.

I also suggest asking for any sauces on the side, so you can control quantities.

Enjoy!

Edited by Shadow9612

I'm one of "those people" who takes photos of their cruise meals.  I don't post them but use them to look back as the cruise goes along to make sure I'm eating healthy.  My memory isn't the worst nor the best but hey, with so much food onboard, it can be a little hard to remember how much red meat and carbs I ate in the last 5 days.  A quick skim of photos reminds me ;D It also helps remind me of the "meh" items.  Why eat lackluster desserts and carbs?  They aren't even worth the time in the gym to burn them off.

• Like 2

I usually don't gain weight on a cruise.  Here are some of my self-rules.

1) One dessert a day, that is with dinner at night.

2) Salad Bar for lunch most of the time.  Sometimes a bowl of soup.  No heavy meal last lunch with meat and gravy, etc.

3) Get in some exercise, either walking the deck above the pool area or the fitness center.

4) Moderate drinking, sticking to mainly wine, no umbrella drinks.

5) For main course at dinner, limit two beef meals for 14 day cruise.  Eat lots of fish, chicken and some pork.

• Like 1

When I am watching my weight, I get the menu a day ahead of time and go over it with the waiter.  Never could get them to leave butter off veggies, so I just ask for non dairy.  I also ask for steamed veggies for 2.  And then order entrees without gravy, sauces,etc.

Celebrity labels the food in the buffet non-dairy, etc.  Don't think it has sodium on it though.

It's good to try new foods in moderation every once in awhile.

19 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Best suggestion---talk to the Matre-Di and explain your situation; he/she will make sure you are taken care of.  On our last cruise, I spoke to the Matre-Di, explained my allergies and every night, he came by to ensure things were as requested.

18 hours ago, zdad59 said:

We are exactly in the same boat.     I thought I had indigestion and didn't want to to the hospital.    My wife insisted.    I had two stents put in withing 30 minutes of arriving in the ER.    Spent 4 days in ICU.   The docs were clear that if I didn't come in I would not have seen the next morning.    VERY SOBERING.     I have made a good start on lifestyle changes.    Eating smart, exercising a lot.    I want to keep it up and cruise a whole lot more.

Thanks for the encouragement.    

We all need to work together because the battle is tough and the stakes are pretty high.  Because I started my "adventure" on a holiday weekend and my EKG was ok and my enzyme tests were clean they had to keep me monitored and wait for the stress test lab to be open on Tuesday.  Flunked that one big time and was in the ctah lab te next day..  Glad you are still here with us, there is a whole lot of ocean and life life to explore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

We all need to work together because the battle is tough and the stakes are pretty high.  Because I started my "adventure" on a holiday weekend and my EKG was ok and my enzyme tests were clean they had to keep me monitored and wait for the stress test lab to be open on Tuesday.  Flunked that one big time and was in the ctah lab te next day..  Glad you are still here with us, there is a whole lot of ocean and life life to explore.

Hope we get to sail together some day !!