POOL CHAIR HOGS A SOLUTION

waterjock

8 minutes ago, Gregor4500 said:

That's called the merge point. Everyone is supposed to use both lanes till the merge point and then every other vehicle. In fact on Interstate 81 in NY recently they had signs posted saying just that.

And how many people actually use the every other car technique? In theory it works, in actuality not so much.

The signs are posted a mile or 2 before the merge into 1 lane , just start getting over.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:10 AM, KateQ22003 said:

No. If someone has a chair but they go inside to get an ice cream cone or go to the bathroom, they need to give up their seat? That's not what a chair hog is. I am not giving up my seat for a 5-minute bathroom run.

Totally agree.  If I got to the restroom or go to the buffet for a few items to bring back to my lounger, I don't consider that a chair hog.  When I have to leave my lounger for a minute, I ask the person next to me if they would let people now it is used and I'll only be gone a few minutes and have never had anyone say they wouldn't.

The worst I've even seen was on a Carnival Cruise. Always rise early get coffee and sit on Lido watching the ship come alive. Around 6:30 a.m.

The crew wasn't even finished washing the deck, and 2 pax  came out unstacked the loungers (about 12 of them) and set up close to pool. Mind you the crew didn't stop them and just worked around them.

Flip flops, hats, books occupied those chairs for hours (9:30-10:00). Returned with wife about 7:30. 

The group gradually started showing up.

Carnival did absolutely nothing , so the crew could care less. If they did they should have stopped them right then.

Chair hogging will never be rectified, nor will the line cutters at the buffet.

Sadly it's a cruise experience that we must "deal" with.

Edited by beerman2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierShipmate said:

I fully admit, when the deck is overcrowded and no chairs are to be had, I watch and note the time a chair has been vacant.  When time expires, I go to the pool attendant and explain that I watched, it's over time, and request they remove their items. 

Wow...that's really all I can muster.  To clarify, are you watching and timing someone's absence from your own lounger, or are you watching and timing because you're looking for a lounger?  If its the latter, then I guess I get it.  If it's the former, then I go back to wow.  Timing someone's absence from a lounger on the pool deck isn't even in my top 500 things to do while on a cruise....but then again, I worship the shade, not the sun so I really have no dog in this ongoing fight with CHOGS.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gregor4500 said:

That's called the merge point. Everyone is supposed to use both lanes till the merge point and then every other vehicle. In fact on Interstate 81 in NY recently they had signs posted saying just that.

Alternate merge became extinct just as right of way has become extinct. Most people don't know what a Yield sign means. Turn signal usage has vanished when changing lanes. Finish your text before moving forward when the light turns green.

Ignoring speed limit signs?......guilty, I can't deny. 😁

Edited by Two Wheels Only

16 hours ago, Fartlek said:

Only thing worse than a chair hog is the chair hog police.   Sure it can be very inconsiderate but somebody moving somebody else’s books and towels and such is looking for much more trouble.  If it’s a problem then report it to the authorities but paws off touching my stuff. 

I will move your stuff and will tell u so. Bring in it on!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

I wouldn't want to be the chairhog policeman that removes the belongings of the tough guy returning from the bar after his fifth Corona.

Fear is the weapon CHOGS use to avert retribution for their behavior. I, for one, am not so wimpy as to cower away and hope someone else deals with it.  

If one doesn’t want their stuff touched, one shouldn’t leave it unattended for hours under the theory no one has the right to deal with intentionally abandoned stuff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Chair hogging will never be rectified, 

Sadly it's a cruise experience that we must "deal" with.

Exactly! chairhogging is a cruiser on cruiser experience and the cruise lines just couldn't be bothered. If you want a good lounger, geting up early is the solution

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Exactly! chairhogging is a cruiser on cruiser experience and the cruise lines just couldn't be bothered. If you want a good lounger, geting up early is the solution

Exactly get up early and STAY there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow...that's really all I can muster.  To clarify, are you watching and timing someone's absence from your own lounger, or are you watching and timing because you're looking for a lounger?  If its the latter, then I guess I get it.  If it's the former, then I go back to wow.  Timing someone's absence from a lounger on the pool deck isn't even in my top 500 things to do while on a cruise....but then again, I worship the shade, not the sun so I really have no dog in this ongoing fight with CHOGS.  

Much more of a situation when there are literally zero chairs, and I’m forced to towel on the deck or sitting somewhere out of the sun, etc - so it’s easy to watch a chair or two, while I’m still enjoying doing what I’m doing.  I agree that just creeping for the sake of creeping on a chair or to get a better position is weird lol.  

• Like 1

After following this thread I am glad that I never sit out in the sun and a bar stool is my favorite place to watch the reggae band playing by the pool. We always book a large balcony or suite so we have room for a couple of loungers to relax in.

I will admit to being a hot tub hog spending more than my fair share of time in one.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, waterjock said:

If NCL wont deal with the problem let cruise critic followers tell them what we think they can do about it..How about 2 rows of chairs to replace one row of loungers.How about a flag you push up when in use and down when you leave. How about pool opens at 8 AM any towels left before will be removed.The chair problem is the number one complaint on all reviews We all know NCL reads the cruise critic forum lets tell them what they can do to solve this problem.

I like the flag idea.

So this is also a huge issue at all inclusive resorts as you all may know.  I think the grace period at resorts may be longer than on cruise ships, but equally un-enforced.  This bothered me much more before kids, as I thought it was outrageous to see every single "desirable" lounger reserved by 9am.   When the kids were young I didn't really care as we didn't stay any one place long.  Now that they are a teen and tween, I'm back to focussing on my vacation.  I think this is one of the reasons I booked Haven...yes it costs an arm and a leg, but I'm not dealing with the towel game.  I actually think (based on what I've read on CC) that the problem is much more pervasive at all-inclusive resorts, but not sure.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, FranknBeans said:

I will move your stuff and will tell u so. Bring in it on!

Amen. Screw this "tough guy" bozo and his macho act. Trouble? Lay a hand on me and you'll enjoy seeing what the inside of a Bahamas prison cell looks like. 

Edited by PortFees45

11 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

Hence why I only cruise the Haven. Sure, we cruise less often, but the experience is worth it.

Whilst I fully understand why the Haven is loved, it's a whole lot of dosh to pay for a guaranteed sunbed!! 😉

• Like 1