How Do You Thank The Kitchen Staff (MDR)?

need2cruisesoon

I've taking many cruises and always make it a point to thank the kitchen staff and cooks that made our dinner.

Usually and unceremoniously I'll walk back to the kitchen and ask permission to thank the cooks for a great dinner. It usually catches them off guard that some body would actually walk back in the galley and show appreciation. Many times the chef will ask if I want to order something off the menu as they aim to please and make it point to show their culinary skills.

• Like 2

I used to love that, In my younger day's. Gave me/us a great sense of satisfaction knowing the back of the house is appreciated enough for a patron to personally tell us. However these days I get jittery when I visit a galley/ kitchen. I see things with my third eye and wanna jump in and help ...lol.  So I resigned myself to a hand written note to be delivered. 

• Like 1

I will ask our server to please give our thanks to the chef for a well prepared meal. I will also note it on the comment cards or survey. I would never dream of invading an employee only area and interrupting the staff when they are frantically trying to get out the hundreds or thousands of meals they need to do. That smacks of self importance and is inconsiderate, to me.

• Like 3

On our last cruise of Majesty of the Seas, one of the chefs came out into the dining room and stopped at several tables to ask people how they were enjoying the food.   When he came to our table, my sister told him how much she enjoyed the lamb shank, and that she would be happy to eat that any night.   The next night, our waitress told my sister that chef had made lamb shank for her that evening (my sister was thrilled). It was so nice to see the chef in the dining room asking for honest opinions of the food.   First time I've ever seen that but what a wonderful way for the kitchen staff to get feedback.  We so appreciated the effort and the ability to give our opinions on the food.

With the ongoing threat of norovirus I’m surprised they would allow passengers in the galley while meals were being prepared as an impromptu visit. Hopefully this is isolated and due to an uneducated server rather than the norm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, denmarks said:

When you attend the Chef's Table you get a tour of the kitchen. You must wear a chefs jacket and wash hands when you enter. There is no way anyone is allowed on their own during meals.

I have never worn a chef's jacket on any kitchen tour during the Chef's Table

On any ship we have been on, there are plenty of opportunities to talk to a senior chef. They are usually the ones wearing a high hat. On ships such as the ones run by Seabourn or Crystal, the Executive chef will make rounds across all dining venues every day .

16 hours ago, denmarks said:

When you attend the Chef's Table you get a tour of the kitchen. You must wear a chefs jacket and wash hands when you enter. There is no way anyone is allowed on their own during meals.

This can vary by ship.  That was your experience on Princess.  You can't speak for all cruise ships, particularly those you haven't been on.

• Like 1

When we've been served a  particularly superb meal in one of our little local  haunts, I ask the waiter to get in a round of drinks for the kitchen brigade (3 to 5 staff) and add the cost to my tab.  It's a good way for them to wind down after a shift, & sometimes chef will come out to say thanks & have a chat.

No doubt some just pocket the price of a drink, (& that makes no odds to me) but "buying them a drink" feels so much less mercenary than giving cash.

I've just tried to figure out what that would cost me if I did that on a mega-size cruise ship.

About $1,000? 

So probably I won't :classic_biggrin:

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 5

On 1/28/2020 at 6:57 PM, Glaciers said:

With the ongoing threat of norovirus I’m surprised they would allow passengers in the galley while meals were being prepared as an impromptu visit. Hopefully this is isolated and due to an uneducated server rather than the norm.

Good point.

In years past we some times have asked if we could buy the cooks a drink of their choice.  Sometimes if they made a great dish for us off menu we would ask to thank them personally and they would visit out table.    It has been awhile... since now we go to special dining room or buffet instead of MDR.  When we are in the buffet and we get something special, we tip them cash on the spot.   We tip extra in the special dining rooms as well. 

• Like 1

On the 1400+ cruises that I have worked, I can tell you that on EVERY one of those cruises, guests managed to get themselves invited into the galley. This was not the galley tour or the chef’s table. It was a private visit.

So long as the visit is not at peak meal service times, there is not a problem.

Contrary to popular opinion, chefs jackets are not required.

As Hotel Manager on 29 different ships, every cruise I invite guests to accompany me to the galley, laundry, provisions, engine room, bridge, crew bar, and many other places. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, mom says said:

I would never dream of invading an employee only area and interrupting the staff when they are frantically trying to get out the hundreds or thousands of meals they need to do. That smacks of self importance and is inconsiderate, to me.

Check the op’s history of starting threads. Nuff said. 

7 hours ago, Donald said:

On the 1400+ cruises that I have worked, I can tell you that on EVERY one of those cruises, guests managed to get themselves invited into the galley. This was not the galley tour or the chef’s table. It was a private visit.

So long as the visit is not at peak meal service times, there is not a problem.

Contrary to popular opinion, chefs jackets are not required.

As Hotel Manager on 29 different ships, every cruise I invite guests to accompany me to the galley, laundry, provisions, engine room, bridge, crew bar, and many other places. 

Which is totally different to some individual just wandering into the galley. 

20 hours ago, evandbob said:

On most lines, the MDR food is simply average, so I don't find the need to offer thanks, verbal or financial.

Specialty restaurants are another story. 

Correction.

On most Cheap mass market lines the food is simply average.

There is little impetus to show appreciation for mediocrity.

But that’s what you paid for.

A high end cruise is an entirely different animal.