Remember when Cruise ships never made news.

dolittle

Started cruising in 2001 loved it and followed it in all types of media. It was rare to ever have any cruise stories in the news . Now it seems like every week People falling off, people going missing, ships crashing into each other on and on .With these flu stories on T.V. every night it has got to scare people away from cruising . Making news is almost always bad (nature of the beast) but it would be good for all of us if it could stay out of the news for a while. The first big cruise story that blew up big was the missing man on his honeymoon I think this story ( still unsolved ) kicked of the modern era of lots of cruise news . What ones do you remember ,and lets hope this all goes away.

For me it would be when the Carnival Splendor caught on fire back in 2010. It happened two months before we were going to sail her and had to scramble and book a Princess cruise in its place.

There are so many more ships today than years ago = more stories. Cruising is more popular than ever and then add in those who are interested in trying it someday. It adds up to a guarantee of lots of eyeballs = more stories.

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

Yes,  more cruise ships are now in the news.

But mebbe that has to do with there now being one helluva lot more cruise ships on the oceans.

JB 😝

And not only more cruise ships, but there are now several 24 hour news stations. 

• Like 2

It has become a popular topic. It is really annoying. "OMG people are falling off ships. I would never go on one"

Meanwhile, that person who "fell" really jumped or did something incredibly stupid.

Meanwhile, they choose to go to an AI that had a few people murdered within a mile in the last week. May be just as unfounded as the cruise faller, but doesn't matter to them

I can't remember anything about cruise ships before we first sailed, other than when the Queen named the QM2, except the local paper mentioning the fact that a nearby  Yorkshire mill was making the soft furnishings for some ships called "Princess". When I boarded our first ship, Sea Princess, I recognised most of the curtains, because we all used to buy "seconds" from that mill...

But when we returned, Sea Princess had moved to Southampton for the summer, and had a Noro outbreak, and was refused entry to a port- perhaps Gibraltar-  and that was the first news item I'd read about cruising in a national paper.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, DirtyDawg said:

As a cruiser and not a shareholder I say keep the bad news coming.

More Noro. More Corona, More fender benders!

Scare off the fraidy-cats and leave the half empty cruise ships for the rest of us. 🙂

Plus the media love to hate the cruise industry!

The reality is the cruise industry has gotten huge and the bigger things get the more problems become visible or exacerbated. Just look at MacDonalds, Coca Cola or IKEA. All these big name brands constantly get bad press but if you think about the bigger the company the bigger the impact they have and if their impact is negative then alot more people are affected than if they were a small company or industry. If you want to be big you just have to get use to being noticed😉.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

The reality is the cruise industry has gotten huge and the bigger things get the more problems become visible or exacerbated. Just look at MacDonalds, Coca Cola or IKEA. All these big name brands constantly get bad press but if you think about the bigger the company the bigger the impact they have and if their impact is negative then alot more people are affected than if they were a small company or industry. If you want to be big you just have to get use to being noticed😉.

I think you are 100% correct. Nobody on the planet would care if my lowly DirtyDawg's cafe (That's what my outdoor kitchen and dining set is called) quit using plastic straws but if McD's did it, then it's news.

3 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Plus the media love to hate the cruise industry!

The media doesn't hate the cruise industry. It's just bigger now so stuff that happens is now newsworthy.

Of course, I could be wrong and the media does hate the cruise industry. But if that's true have you ever thought that the hate is because the media hates you personally and only by extension it hates the cruise industry! Hey if we're peddling conspiracy theories let's go all out. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

Of course just my opinion, but there really isn't a lot of true news gathering anymore. Much of today's news is just playing to peoples emotions and fears to get more eyeballs. If you have ever been interviewed by a reporter, you will most likely notice they all ready have their story line and are just looking for content to play into that story. It starts with the big boys like the LA Times, NY Times, Fox, CNN...and gets regurgitated down the line. 

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

Achille Lauro was probably the first cruise ship in the news I paid attention to.  But Triumph and Concordia were also big deals.  News likes big deals.

Not only big deals, they like BAD news.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:16 AM, crystalspin said:

They say no publicity is bad publicity (or something like that). Carnival's stock price has already started to rebound.

I'd say you were badly mistaken.   The CCL share price has fallen from 37p down to 30p levels which is where it languishes now.   It remains to be seen where it goes from here and that will depend how the Coronavirus situation develops in the next few months.  

“What ones do you remember?”

I expect a few people remember the fate of the "Aurora" P&O ship that failed to do it's World Cruise in 2005 due to propulsion failure and the passengers just went round the Isle Of Wight and back to Southampton.   Mind you they got free drinks on-board for the duration and another free future cruise so they were probably not too disappointed !

4 hours ago, ed01106 said:

They sometimes do good news.  US Airways Flight 1549, got more press than most plane crashes where everyone dies.

OK, they sometimes do good news, but it is the exception.

A few hours ago when I was watching tv a political ad came on. I immediately hit the button on the remote for last channel and ended up on a network new show. I had it on I'd say for will under a minute. The first story was about a policeman put on administrative leave (I think than means we taxpayers still pay him) for groping female motorists who he stopped. Then there was a picture of a building engulfed in fire. They said something about the heart of the community and it was a church. I went back to the other station. No way could a take more than a minute of this.

The absolutely first ever maiden Carnival cruise hit a sandbar and was stranded within sight of Miami Beach.

With the preponderance of electronic media, both professional and personal,  and the immense #'s of cruise ship passengers today, there could probably be an incident reported daily.