HAL’s announcement about Westerdam’s remaining Asian cruises

sue1898

Just posted on HAL’s Facebook page:

Holland America Line will be making a decision on all of Westerdam's remaining Asia sailings by the end of the week. We would like to thank everyone for their extreme patience and understanding during this unprecedented situation.

• Like 3

a was booked on  the 30 day cruise starting april 11 to vancouver.  i received an email from hal  two hours ago informing me that all spring cruises are cancelled and offering the same refunds earlier mentioned bi others.

Just announced on twitter by Holland America....

Due to the uncertainty of ports accepting cruise ships in Asia, Holland America Line has decided to cancel Westerdam’s four March and April 2020 Asia cruises. For the full update including affected dates, please visit Holland America Blog: https://*****/38Hp6fc

The cancelled cruises include:
• March 14–28, 14-day South Korea and Japan, sailing roundtrip Yokohama, Japan.
• March 28–April 11, 14-day Japan Explorer, sailing roundtrip Yokohama.
• April 11–25, 14-day Japan and Russia, sailing roundtrip Yokohama.
• April 25–May 10, 16-day North Pacific Crossing, sailing Yokohama to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Details and itineraries regarding Westerdam deployment through early May will be provided in the coming days.

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We want to do the Japan to Vancouver trip but I can wait. Maybe do instead the Vancouver to Japan cruise later.  Wonder where the ship will go? Caribbean? Alaska? After a deep cleaning of course. 

Westerdam is scheduled for the Alaska season beginning April 10th.

6 hours ago, wesport said:

In light of the Diamond Princess fiasco, it was a wise decision. Wonder if anyone will sail that ship due to the stigma. Two people have now actually died from that ship. Definitely a PR nighmare. 

Seriously?

I would cruise the Diamond Princess if I liked the itinerary.

As far as deaths on the ship, there isn't a cruise ship out there that hasn't had deaths on board. That is why there is a morgue area on every ship. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

I would doubt that Westerdam could be filled with paying passengers for any cruise pre-May 10 on this short notice.

Depends on the itinerary!  Dubai to Vancouver and I would be on it in a flash (sale). 😁

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

I would doubt that Westerdam could be filled with paying passengers for any cruise pre-May 10 on this short notice.

Hmm, I think that would depend on the itinerary 😉 

The cruise would probably be “on sale” and if the itinerary were interesting (and without health risk) I am sure a number of people would snatch it.

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Depends on the itinerary!  Dubai to Vancouver and I would be on it in a flash (sale). 😁

Exactly 🙂  Make it interesting, risk free and decent price and many would be on board.

• Like 1

would seem to make sense for westerdam to come to west coast and do maybe a combination of coastals and perhaps mexico for couple of months...lots of population within drive distance of west coast ports and some targeted marketing with extra perks would likely sell even on short notice....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Westerdam has sailed from Sihanoukville & is sailing around in the Gulf of Thailand at moderate speed.

No doubt waiting orders and/or bunker orders.

Thanks for this information.  I have been wondering what the ship was doing--and will be doing as well.