RCL Stock

heidikay

Bought 100 shares @ $23.15, its up about 108% so far. I wish I had bought 200, then I could have sold 100 to pay off the original cost, and kept the "free" 100 just for the OBC. Then again, at the time I bought, there was still the thought it might go to $0, so I guess I'm happy overall! (Also bought 100 shares of CCL and NCLH at the same time, +76% and +113% so far.)

2 hours ago, alanstarr said:

Bought 100 shares @ $23.15, its up about 108% so far. I wish I had bought 200, then I could have sold 100 to pay off the original cost, and kept the "free" 100 just for the OBC. Then again, at the time I bought, there was still the thought it might go to $0, so I guess I'm happy overall! (Also bought 100 shares of CCL and NCLH at the same time, +76% and +113% so far.)

I did buy 200 shares in March for around $21 to do the same thing as you suggested because I did not feel that it was going to get much lower.  I just hope RCI does not stop the OBC for Stockholders.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

Sold half of the ones I bought at 21 when they were in the 40’s a few weeks ago. If they go above 50 going to sell the rest and then buy again when they go back to 40.  Yes I know they may not, but I think they still have one more good drop.

After hours market is at $51.75. Put in a sell order for the morning. 

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

We know you can apply for shareholder's obc 2-3 weeks before your cruise...how early can you apply? Has anyone applied much sooner and was it processed? Thank you.

A friend of mine submitted theirs and had them approved almost a year in advance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We know you can apply for shareholder's obc 2-3 weeks before your cruise...how early can you apply? Has anyone applied much sooner and was it processed? Thank you.

I applied on 25 June by email last year for two cruises in April/May 2021, and received my approval on 29 June 2019.  🍷

14 hours ago, alanstarr said:

Great timing 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trading the volatility of $RCL, $NCLH & $CCL for the last few weeks has been immensely profitable, i'm definitely bearish on RCL stock at this point after closing out my position at just below $47 per share last week. 

The 8-K report (https://fintel.io/doc/sec-rcl-8k-royal-caribbean-cruises-2020-may-04-18386) they filed with the SEC on April 28th is pretty telling, particularly the following snippet:

"In the event we take certain actions while the Bpi Deferred Tranche is outstanding, we will be required to prepay the outstanding balance of the Bpi Deferred Tranche. These actions include the payment of dividends, the repurchase of stock, and the issuance of debt or equity other than for liquidity. These restrictions are subject to customary carveouts such as, in the case of new debt, debt incurred to finance new ships."

While securing additional liquidity is certainly a positive for the company in these turbulent times, taking 4-5 year loans that eliminate their ability to pay dividends or buyback stock for the duration (unless repaid in full) makes it extraordinarily unlikely that $RCL will recover anywhere close to its ATH stock price for a long time. Additionally the added caveat that the 'issuance of equity' for liquidity purposes is exempted from these restrictions suggests that there is a very real possibility that RCL will need to significantly dilute their stock in order to secure additional revenue to stay afloat in the event of a prolonged cruising hiatus, which would limit the potential ceiling of their stock price during the (hopefully) eventual recovery.

The company is certainly not on deaths door, but I would advise anyone investing in cruise stocks to tread cautiously as it is far from a foregone conclusion that they will recover to anywhere close to their pre-coronavirus levels, in fact quite the opposite. RCL didn't have the healthiest balance sheet to begin with (significant liabilities) as they were stretching themselves to rapidly expand in a booming industry, they were not well positioned whatsoever to deal with a crisis of this magnitude.

I also fear their stock is currently overbought and the price somewhat inflated by an influx of amateur/retail investors who have seen the substantial decline in prices and think they'll see an enormous return once the pandemic blows over and things return to 'normal'. While i'm still fairly confident RCL will survive, they will be feeling the economic repercussions of this downturn for years to come, as it has burdened them with additional liabilities with no guarantee that the cruising industry that emerges on the other side will be anywhere close to as profitable as it has been up until now; with every single day that passes exacerbating these problems further.

Not trying to be doom & gloom, I love cruising with RCL & Celebrity and hope to return as soon as it is safe and responsible to do so, but anyone thinking of investing them in as a company for long-term gains (not just 100 shares for the OBC) should be extremely cautious, as I anticipate another slide (and continued volatility) is all but guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

A friend of mine submitted theirs and had them approved almost a year in advance. 

Question - if you apply shareholder benefit to a cruise & then cruise is cancelled - does shareholder obc get cancelled too & then you re-apply to get obc for new cruise?  or does it become part of 125% FCC for a future cruise along with any other obc you have?  

NJ 

7 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Question - if you apply shareholder benefit to a cruise & then cruise is cancelled - does shareholder obc get cancelled too & then you re-apply to get obc for new cruise?  or does it become part of 125% FCC for a future cruise along with any other obc you have?  

NJ 

It gets cancelled.  If you still own the stock you can reapply for it to be added to the new cruise. 

OBC never transfers over as part of the FCC. There are a few types of OBC that you can move to a new sailing as OBC...redeployment, next cruise and service issue OBC.  All other OBC is lost.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It gets cancelled.  If you still own the stock you can reapply for it to be added to the new cruise. 

OBC never transfers over as part of the FCC. There are a few types of OBC that you can move to a new sailing as OBC...redeployment, next cruise and service issue OBC.  All other OBC is lost.

Wow - thanks for the quick response.  Appreciate it.  so guess I will apply to all our cruises & cross the little fingers/toes cruise doesn't get cancelled.

Thanks!

NJ 

• Like 1

not a great vote of confidence over the weekend when Berkshire pulled out of all airlines.  Granted, 2 different industries, but if he thinks airlines are going to be in trouble, i think cruise lines are really going to be hurting if this drags on longer than q4.  

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the cruise line strategy sessions on how to reopen.  I would definitely buy the strategy book if they manage to pull out of this thing without going into some type of bankruptcy.