Have you ever done a cruise and never left the ship?

cl.klink

My wife and are planning to cruise on Reflection in a few weeks, visiting ports in Caribbean, South and Central America, with many stops in places we’ve already been. For a variety of reasons for a few ports we planned to stay on ship. We like cruise ships and are happy to be on board. Got me thinking - anyone ever just stay on the ship for all of a cruise’s ports?  How did that go?  How did you strategize or approach that?

- Joel

We did this once on a cruise to Mexico.  We had been to all the ports several times before, and there were reports of violence, as there often are in Mexico.  We enjoyed the quiet days on the ship, while most folks were off doing other things.

We are not big on the Caribbean.  Last year we were on the Edge to see the ship not the ports.  We had nothing planned for the ports and other than going down the gangway in St Maarten,  where we ran into  friends who said don’t bother we turned around & never left the ship.  
There was no plan, no strategy just got up when we wanted, headed to where we wanted on the ship (gym, spa, pool, Eden) nothing was crowded.  
we normally cruise for the ports so it was a very relaxing cruise with minimal planning and no stress.  

• Like 1

We've stayed on the ship a few times but have never stayed on for the whole cruise. You might well have stayed home and saved yourself thousands of dollars. The value to us, is the ports, not the ship life. It's turned into just a form of transportation as being retired we don't need the time away from the rat race or the bad weather.

• Like 1

2nd week of December X Western Carib cruise a few years back.  bugs. sand. dirt. heat. humidity.   7 night cruise, got off in 2 ports for a few hours.    Wonderfully relaxing, kindle, drinks package, gin rummy with my partner;   lovely week.  

• Like 1

Yes, I was in an orthopaedic boot at the time. After surgery and being horizontal for 12 weeks with my husband running around like an idiot we both needed a change of four walls and some pampering...We were aware that the destinations weren’t easy to access either in my wheelchair or on crutches.

It was a good excuse to book a RS as we knew we would be in the room quite a bit.

We loved the empty ship on port days! I could take off my boot and be lowered into an empty Solarium pool which I am sure aided my recovery.

We had the wonderful Caesar as a butler who couldn’t do enough including hi jacking a lift as I left my room...

We used room service more than usual and were surprised how good it was.

Icing on the cake was being invited to dine by the wonderful Captain Leo who we had cruised with before. I have a wonderful picture of me in my posh frock with an enormous orthopaedic boot on one foot and a dainty shoe on the other!

Some may see a cruise to nowhere as an expensive waste but it was one of our favourites! We loved being at sea, we had time to enjoy just listening to the waves...in the ports I would people watch from my balcony...Most importantly knowing we had the cruise booked  was the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ during some difficult weeks....

OP, I do suggest a WiFi package and an iPad loaded with books, games, music etc just incase you want them but we were amazed how much time we spent just in the coffee shop or the sunset bar enjoying each other’s company or chatting with fellow cruisers.

Another bonus of not getting off the ship is you are not shattered from busy port days and can enjoy long leisurely meals, drinks and evening entertainment.

• Like 4

My mother did a few years ago - she was waiting a knee replacement and had been quite unwell (Stage 4 cancer survivour at that point).  She loved the relaxed atmosphere on port days and the staff were wonderful for her.

Chemmo - that was the Silhouette out of Venice cruising the dalmation coast.  We were in an RS and our Butler was Ceasar too.  Were you on Silhii about that time too?  I'm trying to think of the year (which is sad as it was our 25th wedding anniversary...) Ahh.. 2016.

OP - its your holioday and you can do what you want to do!  Don't let existential guilt tell you otherwise!

• Like 1

Yes, a 14 night cruise in the med & greek isles. It wasn't by choice - my wife had a stent bypassing a kidney stone which made it very uncomfortable for her to move around very much. I still had a great cruise and I certainly didn't regret going. We quite often stay on at various ports or just nip out for a few hours so I'd describe us as people who primarily cruise for the ship experience anyway.

1 hour ago, GastroGnome said:

Chemmo - that was the Silhouette out of Venice cruising the dalmation coast.  We were in an RS and our Butler was Ceasar too.  Were you on Silhii about that time too?  I'm trying to think of the year (which is sad as it was our 25th wedding anniversary...) Ahh.. 2016.

No, the Eclipse, Southampton to the Canary Islands...October 2017 I had two years where I was not allowed to fly but it didn’t stop me cruising! 

We first met Caesar that Spring on our cruise to Norway when we were in the PH...it was such a treat to get him again, he had remembered all our little likes/dislikes. 

I don’t know if it was the same Caesar....I am sure there must be a few but his service was excellent. One of those butler’s who knows instinctively what you would like before you think to ask for it! 

Our first cruise on the Silhouette is this October...We celebrate our 40th anniversary this year! 

• Like 1

On the odd occasion when we have already viisted a port a few times we stay onboard or only very briefly go ashore for an hour . On those occasions I have to say the ship is wonderfully quiet and one can enjoy the ship at leisure.

We love sea days to enjoy the ship but staying onboard on port days can be quite a change. 

56 minutes ago, chemmo said:

....Our first cruise on the Silhouette is this October...We celebrate our 40th anniversary this year! 

@chemmo which cruise in October we're on the 9th.

31 minutes ago, groryjm said:

On the odd occasion when we have already viisted a port a few times we stay onboard or only very briefly go ashore for an hour . On those occasions I have to say the ship is wonderfully quiet and one can enjoy the ship at leisure.

We love sea days to enjoy the ship but staying onboard on port days can be quite a change. 

@chemmo which cruise in October we're on the 9th.

19th...look after her for us! 

I am not sure you need a strategy: get off or don't! We'll be on our third Western Caribbean cruise in a row next week, and I can do without at least a couple of those ports. My DH will be getting off to fish in a couple, and I will stay onboard. Maybe I will try that for all four. 😉

• Haha 1

I've almost done this. In October I got off in St. Thomas to get some earrings I regretted not buying the cruise before.... right there on the pier. I was off less than 30 minutes. Same cruise I got off in St. Maarten to buy my mother a comb and a bar of soap (the new soap is AWFUL) at the pharmacy on the pier... again, I was off less than 30 minutes. 

I would never do this except cruising with my elderly mother. By the end of the cruise I was going stir crazy. But I felt the same way on a trans Atlantic cruise after 5 days at sea. I was downright giddy when I got my feet on the pier in Cork. 

Whether or not you enjoy a cruise where you don't get off the ship really depends on the person, your reason for cruising and your personal circumstances. I don't "vacation" when I cruise with my mom. I'm in travel companion mode. I don't get to a beach, or take excursions, or sit by the pool. Actually, I don't even bother to bring a bathing suit anymore. In October we visited Tortola. That day we left the cabin to go to breakfast. And a late dinner. Other than that the entire day was spent in the cabin. My Kindle, phone, books and an unlimited wifi plan are my sanity savers. 

You'll probably enjoy staying on the ship because you have each other to get out and go do things with... 

Yes, we had several cruises where we either did not get off the ship at all, or got off and back on in 30 minutes or so.  As others have said, the ship is our destination.  Even though we are retired I like the break from cooking and everything house related. I can relax better knowing there is nothing waiting for me to do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cl.klink said:

My wife and are planning to cruise on Reflection in a few weeks, visiting ports in Caribbean, South and Central America, with many stops in places we’ve already been. For a variety of reasons for a few ports we planned to stay on ship. We like cruise ships and are happy to be on board. Got me thinking - anyone ever just stay on the ship for all of a cruise’s ports?  How did that go?  How did you strategize or approach that?

- Joel

No, but after visiting Nassau, if we every go back there, we won't get off the ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to scoff at my husband for his desire to not leave the ship.  I used to get off at every port just to do a power walk (solo of course) for some exercise and get a flavor of the port and then get back to the ship.

As the years go by (and I get older, sadly), I found myself staying with him on the ship.

Our last 11 night cruise we left the ship once at a port we had never visited.  We got off the ship for about 30 minutes.  If that port had been one we had already been to, we would have gone the entire 11 days without touching terra firma.  We are not fans of crowds, so it is perfect for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

You might save a lot of money if you just go to a nice all-inclusive resort somewhere and relax by the pool.

There have been a number of threads on various boards comparing cruising to AI's, and the one big advantage to cruising that is repeated with great frequency is that with an AI you are stuck in the same place, while with cruising you wake up most days to a new port to explore. So if you are going to stay aboard, an AI or nice hotel by the sea does seem to be a better option.

• Thanks 1

In my experience here in Europe, room size excluded, to find a comparable level of service, food & drink at at an all inclusive could definitely cost more depending on the time of year. Indeed this is the exact reason we've just booked for our anniversary next year, we considered other options, but £750pp for 2 weeks on Iona was unbeatable.

YMMV especially if you're not fine with staying in interior cabins as we are. Hotels pretty much always come with a window (though I have stayed in one that didn't!).

Edited by Wedgeh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

You might save a lot of money if you just go to a nice all-inclusive resort somewhere and relax by the pool.

Honestly, been there, done that...just not the same....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1