A couple of telling numbers

clo

Oh its grim alright. I was in London on Monday, and the underground was earie. Pubs restaurants all deserted. Shops out of almost everything. And then I took ill Monday night. Flu like symptons and a cough. Had a bad cough Tuesday night and self isolating.

I have no idea if I have this virus, but what I can say is this:

I feel like I have the Flu. Had the flu vaccine.

A mild cough with a couple of coughing fits during the night.

Very very tired, fatigued. Aching limbs.

Mild headaches.

So I feel much better today, with the odd cough.

But I dont know whether I have had it or whether I will ever know.

Its weird.

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Oh its grim alright. I was in London on Monday, and the underground was earie. Pubs restaurants all deserted. Shops out of almost everything. And then I took ill Monday night. Flu like symptons and a cough. Had a bad cough Tuesday night and self isolating.

I have no idea if I have this virus, but what I can say is this:

I feel like I have the Flu. Had the flu vaccine.

A mild cough with a couple of coughing fits during the night.

Very very tired, fatigued. Aching limbs.

Mild headaches.

So I feel much better today, with the odd cough.

But I dont know whether I have had it or whether I will ever know.

Its weird.

So sorry you are unwell but are you staying away from others and isolating? You said you WERE in London. Where are you now?

I am home. And yes self isolating. Trapped in the spare bedroom.

Actually feeling fine now. But have another 3 days to sit it out.

I took ill on the way back home. Monday night.

But I have no idea whether its the virus or not. And I dont think I ever will know.

Unless it wasnt, and I get it in a couple of weeks?

Its crazy

40 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

But I have no idea whether its the virus or not. And I dont think I ever will know.

Its crazy

Any way you can get tested to know for sure?

Not here at the moment. You need to be in hospital or go there to get a test, and they wouldnt be happy with me just turning up there for one.

I actually feel fine now. Had a dry cough for 24 hours and fatigue for 48.

Beginning to think I havent had it. Very confusing world we now live in.

If people get this virus and they don't know they have it, does the virus eventually just leave your body or does it become dormant to reappear at a later stage? If it leaves your body how long does it take?

Totally nothing to do with the original post, but hey, just thought I would ask.

52 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Its crazy

Hi

I understood the self isolation period should be 14 days due to the incubation period. 

Isn't there somewhere you can call for medical advice? You may or may not have been sick (with the Corona virus or something else) and a week after you started feeling ill, you figure you are allright to mingle again? I don't know if that's necessairly prudent. 

2 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

If people get this virus and they don't know they have it, does the virus eventually just leave your body or does it become dormant to reappear at a later stage? If it leaves your body how long does it take?

Totally nothing to do with the original post, but hey, just thought I would ask.

Perhaps a question better directed to your physician.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And aren’t many of that 250,000 cruise employees non-US residents employed by non-US countries?

(I do not challenge your figure for US restaurant employees - but it does make me wonder why sometimes you have to wait a long while before being handed a menu.)

I would think that number relates to the US based - not ship based - employees as RCI alone has 77,000 ship based employees, the vast majority of which are international in composition.  They also have just over 6,000 land (or US) based employees. 

So my guess is the total of all cruise lines with US based employees is more to that 250,000 number as the cumulative total ship based would likely far exceed the 250,000 number.

11 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I understood the self isolation period should be 14 days due to the incubation period. 

Isn't there somewhere you can call for medical advice? You may or may not have been sick (with the Corona virus or something else) and a week after you started feeling ill, you figure you are allright to mingle again? I don't know if that's necessairly prudent. 

No, if you have it, ot think you might have it, its 7 days. Those that come into contact with you its 14.

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And aren’t many of that 250,000 cruise employees non-US residents employed by non-US countries?

(I do not challenge your figure for US restaurant employees - but it does make me wonder why sometimes you have to wait a long while before being handed a menu.)

Because the 15.1 million restaurant employees are employed in a different restaurant than the one you happen to be in.😉

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would think that number relates to the US based - not ship based - employees as RCI alone has 77,000 ship based employees, the vast majority of which are international in composition.  They also have just over 6,000 land (or US) based employees. 

So my guess is the total of all cruise lines with US based employees is more to that 250,000 number as the cumulative total ship based would likely far exceed the 250,000 number.

Well, if RCI has 77,000 ship based employees - which would involve Celebrity ships  as well as Royal Caribbean - perhaps that 250,000 number is not that low.  It would leave 173,000 for the other lines — RCI certainly has the lions share of ships, and likely ship based employees.

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I guess you are one of those cynics who think that anonymous Cruise Critic posters might not be the best source of medical advice.

No - and it was just a suggestion.  I just think that would be the better source for an accurate answer v the many answers that may be or not be correct, as is evidenced by the numerous inaccurate responses to many of the threads on these boards.  Either way, no need to be snarky about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Well, if RCI has 77,000 ship based employees - which would involve Celebrity ships  as well as Royal Caribbean - perhaps that 250,000 number is not that low.  It would leave 173,000 for the other lines — RCI certainly has the lions share of ships, and likely ship based employees.

Agree that it would include Celebrity, Azamara, etc.  Carnival and its many brands would likely also represent similar numbers and composition, which in total number of ships have more than RCI.  And of course there are other cruise lines to consider.

And again, the comment was with regards to US based employees, not ship. But if the total of all ship and land employees is the 250,000 indicated, my estimates regarding that are indeed off.  So in that regard I stand corrected. In any case it id certainly a number far less than the restaurant industry.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

No, if you have it, ot think you might have it, its 7 days. Those that come into contact with you its 14.

Hi

I am not seeing that as a recommendation anywhere. What you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Obviously it's up to you, but I would make at least an effort to speak with a health professional before you venture out after your health assessment and one week isolation. 

• Like 2

I think that could be a 'Boris -ism'.  Everywhere else it is 14 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No - and it was just a suggestion.  I just think that would be the better source for an accurate answer v the many answers that may be or not be correct, as is evidenced by the numerous inaccurate responses to many of the threads on these boards.  Either way, no need to be snarky about it.

?

He wasn't being snarky, he was reinforcing YOUR point.

• Like 1