A couple of telling numbers

clo

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And aren’t many of that 250,000 cruise employees non-US residents employed by non-US countries?

(I do not challenge your figure for US restaurant employees - but it does make me wonder why sometimes you have to wait a long while before being handed a menu.)

I believe that number comes from CLIA, and represents those indirectly "employed" by the cruise lines, like dock workers and SYSCO food truck drivers, who may or may not lose their employment if the cruise lines stopped cruising from the US altogether.

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe that number comes from CLIA, and represents those indirectly "employed" by the cruise lines, like dock workers and SYSCO food truck drivers, who may or may not lose their employment if the cruise lines stopped cruising from the US altogether.

You’re probably right.  But then it really is fluff, rather than a real figure.  If you count SYSCO drivers (who also deliver to food retailers nationwide) you should also count taxi drivers who might bring people to cruise terminals, as well as taxi and car service drivers who bring people to their home airports to fly to cruise ports - and, of course Amtrak conductors.

Such CLIA figures are used to make a point (inflated) and can not be seriously relied upon.  Yes - they are “involved” in the cruise industry but.......

8 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Oh its grim alright. I was in London on Monday, and the underground was earie. Pubs restaurants all deserted. Shops out of almost everything. And then I took ill Monday night. Flu like symptons and a cough. Had a bad cough Tuesday night and self isolating.

I have no idea if I have this virus, but what I can say is this:

I feel like I have the Flu. Had the flu vaccine.

A mild cough with a couple of coughing fits during the night.

Very very tired, fatigued. Aching limbs.

Mild headaches.

So I feel much better today, with the odd cough.

But I dont know whether I have had it or whether I will ever know.

Its weird.

My best friend who lives in NYC defied everyone who said not to eat in restaurants with hundreds of people and to not be on public transportation. When I called him Monday morning he could not stop coughing.I called this morning to find out how he was doing.

His wife answered the phone and said he was taken to a hospital during the night and is being tested for the Corona Virus.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend who lives in NYC defied everyone who said not to eat in restaurants with hundreds of people and to not be on public transportation. When I called him Monday morning he could not stop coughing.I called this morning to find out how he was doing.

His wife answered the phone and said he was taken to a hospital during the night and is being tested for the Corona Virus.

of course he may have contracted it anywhere. Even from his wife.

Hope he is OK.

11 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Yes. All the restaurant employees losing their jobs is terrible. However, I believe they are eligible for unemployment. I doubt the cruise ship employees receive unemployment if they are laid off and sent home.

Loss of their share of the 18% gratuity charged won't be coming in now. I imagine that will be a big hit for all of the employee's.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Bravado is a ridiculous response, but it is all over.  From college students 'celebrating' cancellation of classes with big gatherings to party or riot, to Internet "influencers" coming up with a coronavirus challenge involving licking toilet seats.  

https://twitter.com/realavalouiise/status/1238915362470625292?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1238915362470625292&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitchy.com%2Fbrads-313037%2F2020%2F03%2F19%2Finfluenzer-in-the-time-of-a-wuhan-virus-epidemic-it-may-feel-better-to-see-those-who-are-remarkably-mentally-impaired%2F

Like the country song says, God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No - and it was just a suggestion.  I just think that would be the better source for an accurate answer v the many answers that may be or not be correct, as is evidenced by the numerous inaccurate responses to many of the threads on these boards.  Either way, no need to be snarky about it.

I don’t think he’s being snarky...I think he’s reinforcing your point with a subtle joke.  Think of it as having a “wink” emoji at the end of the sentence.

12 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I think that could be a 'Boris -ism'.  Everywhere else it is 14 days.

Don’t worry a great “scientist” recently knew that the problem will be gone once the weather warms up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Don’t worry a great “scientist” recently knew that the problem will be gone once the weather warms up.

I was going to hit the laugh emoji but instead will scream ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I want to scream.

12 hours ago, jocap said:

Darren- have you phoned NHS 111? They'll have answers for you... 

Its not needed or wanted. And if you look on line you get very sketchy info regarding this.

For example:

They say that if you dont have a high temo and persistant dry cough you are unlikely to have it.

Yet, I had a slight fever, flu like symptoms, and a dry cough for a short while. 24 hours. But not persisitant.

They will probably tell me I didnt have it.

Yet at the same time, the medical world tells us 4 out of 5 will get it with very mild symptoms, and will more or less be able to carry on with their daily lives.

So which is it?

Are there mild variants to this or not?

11 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Its not needed or wanted. And if you look on line you get very sketchy info regarding this.

For example:

They say that if you dont have a high temo and persistant dry cough you are unlikely to have it.

Yet, I had a slight fever, flu like symptoms, and a dry cough for a short while. 24 hours. But not persisitant.

They will probably tell me I didnt have it.

Yet at the same time, the medical world tells us 4 out of 5 will get it with very mild symptoms, and will more or less be able to carry on with their daily lives.

So which is it?

Are there mild variants to this or not?

I don't get it.  You sound frustrated but don't want to contact your health professionals.   Make the call.  They might be able to help.  If they can't you might even get more forum fodder!  

On the unemployment "insurance" for the US workers: In my state, not everyone is eligible as there are certain monetary requirements that will keep you from getting the money.  And the monthly payment is about 40% of your pay.  If you are a tipped employee, you don't get much.  It's hard for seasonal employees at resort areas to meet certain criteria.  And, remember, many of our hard-working people in the kitchens are not documented.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

On the unemployment "insurance" for the US workers: In my state, not everyone is eligible as there are certain monetary requirements that will keep you from getting the money.  And the monthly payment is about 40% of your pay.  If you are a tipped employee, you don't get much.  It's hard for seasonal employees at resort areas to meet certain criteria.  And, remember, many of our hard-working people in the kitchens are not documented.   

It is tough to think of all the people, just getting by, whose lives are being devastated - I suppose restaurant workers are the hardest hit, followed by hospitality generally.  I’m afraid it will take a very long time for real recovery - and “normal” may be a condition existing only in memory.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is tough to think of all the people, just getting by, whose lives are being devastated - I suppose restaurant workers are the hardest hit, followed by hospitality generally.  I’m afraid it will take a very long time for real recovery - and “normal” may be a condition existing only in memory.

I was just saying that I wonder if we'll ever look back on something that happened and then was 'over.' And I sure think we're at least a year or two from any kind of diminution. Travel? No. Not much beyond the grocery store.

35 minutes ago, drsel said:

Please avoid the grocery store it may be crowded and increases your risk

Order home delivery and sanitize everything that comes to your house

Good morning, I respectfully disagree. I went to the store the other morning, about 1/2 hour after it had opened and

it was very empty. I was in and out in about 30 minutes.  It was not crowded when I was there. Timing is everything.

I can see by your last 2 questions you disagree with what I did...that is your right.  I went to the store, did my

shopping and came home. I will not argue with you with what I did. I was just saying the grocery store is quite

empty right after they open in the morning.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I can see by your last 2 questions you disagree with what I did...that is your right.  I went to the store, did my

shopping and came home. I will not argue with you with what I did. I was just saying the grocery store is quite

empty right after they open in the morning.

We're not seeing crowded stores either. Now some shelves may be bare but I can't cure the hoarders 🙂 And when we get home, we wipe down everything we bought with a disinfectant wipe before putting away. And then we wash our hands.