P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And now, following on from the great cucumber and tomato shortage, we get the great smart meter shortage.

British Gas were supposed to be fitting smart meters this morning. Phone call partway through the morning - can’t come because they’ve run out of meters. To be fair, they’ve only had a month to plan for this, and obviously their growth will have been stunted by the bad weather in Spain and Morocco, but really………😠

My Smart Meter is pretty useless. It is disconnected from the gas meter more than than it connects....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

And now, following on from the great cucumber and tomato shortage, we get the great smart meter shortage.

British Gas were supposed to be fitting smart meters this morning. Phone call partway through the morning - can’t come because they’ve run out of meters. To be fair, they’ve only had a month to plan for this, and obviously their growth will have been stunted by the bad weather in Spain and Morocco, but really………😠

Well that wasn't a smart move 🤔

Saw this and thought of you Harry .. download.jpg.9a0d15c6a942cf5d777424a3c17f44da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

I love my Smart Meter, never had a problem and instant information.

I wish smart extended to their admin. After waiting in all morning I checked online AGAIN. Apparently is now tomorrow.  I guess using a phone to contact me is unsmart.

5 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok this morning. Mondays seem to come around quickly don’t they? 

It looks a cloudy day here today but I have a fair bit of washing and ironing to do after my hols so that will keep me busy.

I really enjoyed my week on Azura and the weather was kind to us. We managed to eat in The Glass House, Epicurean and Sindhu, all were fabulous. The other nights we ate in the main dining room, only one bad main course, steak that was completely tasteless. We ate breakfast in the Oriental restaurant which lovely. I have read that someone who was on our flight home has already become ill with you know what.

Have a lovely day everyone 

Michelle

Hi Michelle - lovely to meet you last week.  Back in Madeira today but a bit drizzly (warm though!).    To the other poster who asked about Madeira I thoroughly recommend Santa Anna Street running alongside the market in Funchal which has many beautifully painted doors,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't have a smart meter, less stress that way😉

Avril

Me too, Avril.  I think they have stopped trying to persuade me.  My oldest friend finally agreed to have one, and after an hour of fiddling about with it the installer said it would  not be possible to make it work!  After messing her about changing dates etc.  She was not best pleased.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't have a smart meter, less stress that way😉

Avril

We don't either. We keep getting a card from our supplier saying that they are in the area and to book a time to have one installed. It goes straight into the recycling!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi Michelle - lovely to meet you last week.  Back in Madeira today but a bit drizzly (warm though!).    To the other poster who asked about Madeira I thoroughly recommend Santa Anna Street running alongside the market in Funchal which has many beautifully painted doors,  

Lucky you back in Madeira, it was my favourite port. It has not been drizzle here it has been rain!! Just stopped now so might risk taking dogs out. Have a wonderful second week on Azura, wish I was with you

Michelle

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

My Smart Meter is pretty useless. It is disconnected from the gas meter more than than it connects....

That's not the smart meter, it's your in house display (IHD), and it depends on how close it is to the meter. The meter itself relies on a good mobile type signal back to your energy supplier, and when your IHD is playing up, you should be able to obtain any usage data you need from your account on your energy suppliers website.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

We don't either. We keep getting a card from our supplier saying that they are in the area and to book a time to have one installed. It goes straight into the recycling!

I keep getting e.mails, messages and letters too. They've even resorted to telling me that the electicity meter is old and needs replacing, so they will do it free and install the smart meter at the same time.

Funny that. We had an complete rewire and electrical upgrade, including replacing the old meter, 4 years ago😏. Things don't last as long as they used to anymore do they?🤔

I hope nobody falls for that one.

Avril

• Like 6

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's not the smart meter, it's your in house display (IHD), and it depends on how close it is to the meter. The meter itself relies on a good mobile type signal back to your energy supplier, and when your IHD is playing up, you should be able to obtain any usage data you need from your account on your energy suppliers website.

Yes but the annoying thing is that it is intermittent...

• Like 1

We have had a SMETS 2 Smart Meter for over 18 months now, not had any issues with it, the IHD sits silently in the hall, no longer have to remember to submit meter readings, useful when we are away, so no more estimated bills which were usually higher than what we had actually used. 

I was frequently offered a SMETS 1 smart meter which I always turned down as we had a poor mobile signal, but SMETS 2 uses a different network for which we get a very good signal. 

34 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

We have had a SMETS 2 Smart Meter for over 18 months now, not had any issues with it, the IHD sits silently in the hall, no longer have to remember to submit meter readings, useful when we are away, so no more estimated bills which were usually higher than what we had actually used. 

I was frequently offered a SMETS 1 smart meter which I always turned down as we had a poor mobile signal, but SMETS 2 uses a different network for which we get a very good signal. 

The SMETS 2 meters are in a different league from the old SMETS 1 ones.  That's what was going to be fitted today until British Gas decided to cancel mid-morning with what I suspect was a spurious claim that they'd run out of meters over the weekend.

There are some downsides to smart meters, but it's a requirement for a particular tariff I want to shift to that's linked directly to wholesale prices, and that's a huge plus at the moment when retail prices are so far out of synch with wholesale.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

To the other poster who asked about Madeira I thoroughly recommend Santa Anna Street running alongside the market in Funchal which has many beautifully painted doors,

Thank you very much for everyone’s recommendations over the last few days , we arrived yesterday at 10.50 to a rainy foggy but warm day and as we drove closer to town it was clearer and started to stop raining, didn’t unpack as we were not happy with the room on the first floor not much of a view and we had paid extra for that and to be on the top floor so we have to wait until today we some have checked out and hopefully one will be available. 
Done a little exploring near the hotel to find out where we get our hired car from and to book a restaurant for last night which was very nice and tried the local poncho drink which was yummy, a few photos not many some of the hotel. Stay happy everyone 🥹

91535BD1-32D6-4A46-886A-1BE5DAFC34A9.jpeg

9B02A8DF-021C-4736-AAFA-A5E4D3E47A16.jpeg

59A1057B-585E-4460-BBAB-49E7083A55E9.jpeg

7E595515-83B4-4D56-8C76-14585A432474.jpeg

0AD89C2A-13CF-4AAB-B83E-726D455A7BB2.jpeg

F9290FE8-4C9A-4CDE-BA16-FF14AE3C0557.jpeg

A1B7E110-394A-432A-AA75-1B7E9ABE6056.jpeg

3646FEC2-FD1A-4D84-AD32-DBA99CD0424E.jpeg

• Like 11

Sorry a photo sneaked in from the restaurant last but one , there was two cruise ships in yesterday one was a P&O and I couldn’t see which the other one was , also after we landed yesterday which was a little wobberly the captain said we arrived early because in 10 minutes more we wouldn’t of been able to because of the weather 🫣 just like the cruise ships with their cross winds 😁 .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Sorry a photo sneaked in from the restaurant last but one , there was two cruise ships in yesterday one was a P&O and I couldn’t see which the other one was , also after we landed yesterday which was a little wobberly the captain said we arrived early because in 10 minutes more we wouldn’t of been able to because of the weather 🫣 just like the cruise ships with their cross winds 😁 .

Yup, the landings in Funchal can be difficult,  and it is a long way back to Lisbon, which is often used as the divert airport.

On our last holiday in Madeira, the airport was shut for three days just after we left - not easy for holiday makers to get home.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We have lovely sunny morning with a beautiful blue, cloudless sky but it is very cold.  I went out to make sure that the bird water isn't frozen.  It looks like we may have had a light snow shower over night judging by the cars that are sitting outside and the road.

Stay warm and if you have to go out take care.

• Like 6