P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Well, we might finally have some good news. Pulse has an article saying that the NHS will start vaccinating over 85s and frontline staff in early December.🤞

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/breaking-news/covid-vaccine-des-set-to-be-announced-imminently-for-december-start/

The link takes forever to load, but does eventually.

That was an interesting read Annie. It gives us all a little more hope. I also found the article about Vitamin D interesting too.

Avril

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

How can they start giving vaccine when it hasn't even been approved?

I should imagine the powers from above have more knowledge than us on how close the vaccine is to be successful and getting approval so that advanced plans are in progress for the start of vaccination once approval is given.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I head some 'expert' on TV over the weekend say that the vaccines about to be rolled out were not a silver bullet (I paraphrase here)  but they did know that they were safe.  We can but hope.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I head some 'expert' on TV over the weekend say that the vaccines about to be rolled out were not a silver bullet (I paraphrase here)  but they did know that they were safe.  We can but hope.

So they don't work, but they won't kill us.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

A few potential vaccines are in the third and final stage of testing here in the UK at the moment. Previous trials have given them confidence than they will work and are safe so these trials will hopefully confirm this. Final approval comes from the regulatory authority who will look at all the evidence and approve or reject the vaccine. This will be done as a matter of priority and as soon as approval is given, the stocks that we have already bought will be used. Normally it would take much longer but for these vaccines it will be done as a matter of urgency. So to answer your question, they cannot be given before they are approved (unlike some countries who are giving non-approved vaccines) but if everything goes to plan, we shouldn’t have to wait much longer, maybe a few weeks, before those at the top of the list receive the first or what could be two doses a month apart. Could be December, could be January or later. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, pete14 said:

A few potential vaccines are in the third and final stage of testing here in the UK at the moment. Previous trials have given them confidence than they will work and are safe so these trials will hopefully confirm this. Final approval comes from the regulatory authority who will look at all the evidence and approve or reject the vaccine. This will be done as a matter of priority and as soon as approval is given, the stocks that we have already bought will be used. Normally it would take much longer but for these vaccines it will be done as a matter of urgency. So to answer your question, they cannot be given before they are approved (unlike some countries who are giving non-approved vaccines) but if everything goes to plan, we shouldn’t have to wait much longer, maybe a few weeks, before those at the top of the list receive the first or what could be two doses a month apart. Could be December, could be January or later. 

Thanks - an excellent summary of the position.

• Like 1

Well, here in Stoke on Trent hubby and I have really enjoyed switching off from work and just looking at the new PO cruises for 2022. It felt like old times. Can't say we are as excited as normal, but it is nice to post on here to ask questions re cruise itineraries.

I do hope that the idea of a vaccine is ok - I have real concerns to be honest and am guessing that as key workers we may be given a choice to have it early on (well hopefully a choice). A bit worrying really to be honest as I am not convinced that it will have been properly tried and tested and can only applaud those of you who are stepping out as part of the trials . x

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m heartened by the city-wide Liverpool testing trial.  It feels to me that this is a major plank in any elimination strategy

tbh - it feels like it should have been trialled months ago

Well we have been told today that the Govt will give us specific guidelines over the next few days about our place of work ready for Thursday 5th.

That's good of them when it is now Tuesday. Words fail me, they really do.  Its just as well we are organised. Don't normally post politics but this has just annoyed me so much. We put up with the fiasco of last minute 'guidance' in the Spring and Summer and STILL they give us hardly any notice of their plans and precious 'guidance' in the Autumn.

You would think that they would have taken feedback onboard and tried to give us good notice about things we need to know to help strategic planning sooner rather than later. Thankfully, our profession is able to adapt and pull rabbits out of the hat when we need to. 

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am going back to the P&O site now to chill ................

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As I still can’t even get a flu jab, I remain sceptical that a Covid vaccination programme will start within the next two months. 

The medical journal Pulse has an article saying that the NHS will start vaccinating over 85s and frontline staff in early December.

So if you are in the above catagories you have every chance of getting the vaccine, should it be available..

However I do take your point about the flu jab when our TV's are running NHS advert urging people to go get the jab as soon as possible .:classic_unsure:

If given approval and deemed safe I am sure a vaccine will be rolled out hopefully at the start of December. How efficient and how quickly it will be given is another matter and being just over 60 with no underlying health conditions and not as key worker would be interested to know how long it will be before I am given the opportunity of a vaccine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If given approval and deemed safe I am sure a vaccine will be rolled out hopefully at the start of December. How efficient and how quickly it will be given is another matter and being just over 60 with no underlying health conditions and not as key worker would be interested to know how long it will be before I am given the opportunity of a vaccine.

Good question Majortom ,

The last intended government plan as far as I know  is/was :-

. A provisional ranking of prioritisation for persons at-risk is set out below:

older adults’ resident in a care home and care home workers

all those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers

all those 75 years of age and over

all those 70 years of age and over

all those 65 years of age and over

high-risk adults under 65 years of age

moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age

all those 60 years of age and over

all those 55 years of age and over

all those 50 years of age and over

rest of the population (priority to be determined)

The prioritisation could change substantially if the first available vaccines were not considered suitable for, or effective in, older adults.    

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

37 minutes ago, kalos said:

However I do take your point about the flu jab when our TV's are running NHS advert urging people to go get the jab as soon as possible .:classic_unsure:

It's crazy when you think back to when we had our flu jabs, the surgeries were geared up for a deluge of people and yet it was deserted. 

Avril

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good question Majortom ,

The last intended government plan as far as I know  is/was :-

. A provisional ranking of prioritisation for persons at-risk is set out below:

older adults’ resident in a care home and care home workers

all those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers

all those 75 years of age and over

all those 70 years of age and over

all those 65 years of age and over

high-risk adults under 65 years of age

moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age

all those 60 years of age and over

all those 55 years of age and over

all those 50 years of age and over

rest of the population (priority to be determined)

The prioritisation could change substantially if the first available vaccines were not considered suitable for, or effective in, older adults.    

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/priority-groups-for-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccination-advice-from-the-jcvi-25-september-2020/jcvi-updated-interim-advice-on-priority-groups-for-covid-19-vaccination

Yes I had previously seen that but as late at this morning it has been widely publicised on TV and stated by Dr Hilary Jones on Lorraine that from December over 85yrs of age and key workers would be first in December and then in January Care home residents and staff would be given vaccine. If true it is plainly obvious that again the government are putting care home residents at risk and not treating care home staff as key workers. Confusion as usual with mixed messages coming from the government. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

It's crazy when you think back to when we had our flu jabs, the surgeries were geared up for a deluge of people and yet it was deserted. 

Avril

Too true Avril , When the Nurse in the advert says  " I hear people say it's just flu" and goes on to tell us how many 

people die of it . That implies people are not going for the jabs,yet people like Dermotsgirl is finding it difficult to 

access one of the flu jabs .. Crazy :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

Have you all got your Hotdogs,Burgers,Roast Spuds, Bonfire Toffee and my favourite Yorkshire Parkin  all 

ready for tomorrow's firework night ?

fireworks-blue.gif.11822f38644b816935c830cc77079a31.giffirework-kid.gif.e8f2f978f8be5ae366aaa2f487a9f898.giffireworks-red.gif.6e42b9bb0a4c005035955c6c8b85bd2e.gif          STAY SAFE !  :classic_smile:

And with a bit of luck ......   

LD.jpg.c565f248b7865a1d64d1ac48b90f83d4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, kalos said:

Have you all got your Hotdogs,Burgers,Roast Spuds, Bonfire Toffee and my favourite Yorkshire Parkin  all 

ready for tomorrow's firework night ?

fireworks-blue.gif.11822f38644b816935c830cc77079a31.giffirework-kid.gif.e8f2f978f8be5ae366aaa2f487a9f898.giffireworks-red.gif.6e42b9bb0a4c005035955c6c8b85bd2e.gif          STAY SAFE !  :classic_smile:

And with a bit of luck ......   

LD.jpg.c565f248b7865a1d64d1ac48b90f83d4.jpg

Absolutely I have but I have had to uninvite all my guests. ☹️

Seriously though, I anticipate loads of fines being given out because big, powerful and expensive fireworks will give a good indication that there may be some household mixing and lack of social distancing going on. Hardly surreptitious and secretive. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.545801c6017cb4b81870d73f83d427a9.png

Beautiful day in the New Forest.  It's been such a joy discovering this tranquil area, escaping from the crowds.  Wide open spaces, peaceful and a real treat.  One positive for us as we'd never really explored here properly before. We're taking our chances today before lockdown after which, as it's non-essential travel, we won't be able to visit for a while and will have to take our exercise locally - unlike some I suspect, who will carry on as if it doesn't apply to them! 😒

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Well we have been told today that the Govt will give us specific guidelines over the next few days about our place of work ready for Thursday 5th.

That's good of them when it is now Tuesday. Words fail me, they really do.  Its just as well we are organised. Don't normally post politics but this has just annoyed me so much. We put up with the fiasco of last minute 'guidance' in the Spring and Summer and STILL they give us hardly any notice of their plans and precious 'guidance' in the Autumn.

You would think that they would have taken feedback onboard and tried to give us good notice about things we need to know to help strategic planning sooner rather than later. Thankfully, our profession is able to adapt and pull rabbits out of the hat when we need to.

Advice given at the last minute in an ever changing scene will be current. If that advice was given a week ago it will be obsolete. Any profession with a degree of expertise will already have its protocols/procedures written with various options to take account of changes. One of the fundamental stages in any procedure is ' Review'. A good procedure won't involve pulling anything out of hats. That ain't planning, it's panic.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

The medical journal Pulse has an article saying that the NHS will start vaccinating over 85s and frontline staff in early December.

So if you are in the above catagories you have every chance of getting the vaccine, should it be available..

Maybe you all need to emigrate to Gods own county, we seem to have no problems getting flu jabs, or doctors appointments.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

Maybe you all need to emigrate to Gods own county, we seem to have no problems getting flu jabs, or doctors appointments.

Exactly John, my Doctors had no problem with our flu jabs and i dropped on when they must have had a sale on .

BOGOF.. I was given the pneumonia jab as well :classic_smile:

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Those were my thougts too. All the posters who are having there problems tend to be towards  the southern areas.

Avril