P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Thanks - enjoyed that! Spent over 30 years in the primary and secondary sectors so understand your frustration. 

+1 so you have my understanding and sympathies too.  I can't begin to imagine how difficult it must be in both practical matters (all those risk assessments!) and emotionally as you are constantly trying to do your very best for everyone.  All the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I am all for being flexible but when the lockdown was announced on Saturday and we get guidance at about 4pm today re who can work for us tomorrow morning etc etc etc it is not helpful when we have lots of little people to look after. They could have given it to us earlier in the week . To be honest, unless you've experienced the chaos we've had to cope with in education you would not believe it.

Eg We were told schools were closing on the Wednesday other than for key workers and vulnerable children. (during the briefing to the nation via the TV). We had the list of who classed as a key worker at about 4am on the Friday morning we closed to most pupils. Really helpful, not.

Am not ranting  / posting now as I need to chill ----  don't want to take my frustations out on my CC friends. 

I feel for you, having taught many years ago for a short time.I found it stressful then- thats why I left the profession but to have all these added pressures as well must add to the stress.Take Care

• Like 1

Just a comment from cloudy Lanzarote.

I see that under the new lockdown rules, primary children are not allowed to partake in outdoor games. Can anyone please explain (rhetorical question) why 22 8 year olds cannot kick a football about in the open air, but can play together in an enclosed gym?

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are lions being led by donkeys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We just want to keep our children, our staff, our parents and their families and the wider community safe .... and the children (and adults) shielded from the stress as much as possible. 

Every day that goes by with everyone safe and well is a good one eh 😉

As an ex teacher (30 years at the chalkface) and still involved in education, I appreciate the concern you are showing for children, their parents and the staff with whom you work. I am glad I am no longer working in a school but am grateful for those who do. If the plans that you have to implement are late, inconsistent or basically unworkable, they are less likely to succeed but if they do, it will be due to those who make them work on the ground, not the politicians. All this and having to teach them and monitor their progress as well. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I am all for being flexible but when the lockdown was announced on Saturday and we get guidance at about 4pm today re who can work for us tomorrow morning etc etc etc it is not helpful when we have lots of little people to look after. They could have given it to us earlier in the week . To be honest, unless you've experienced the chaos we've had to cope with in education you would not believe it.

Eg We were told schools were closing on the Wednesday other than for key workers and vulnerable children. (during the briefing to the nation via the TV). We had the list of who classed as a key worker at about 4am on the Friday morning we closed to most pupils. Really helpful, not.

Am not ranting  / posting now as I need to chill ----  don't want to take my frustations out on my CC friends. 

I'm not a teacher but am a Primary School Governor and am part of a team running a pre-school so you have my full sympathy Presto. There are so many school staff going above and beyond to make this situation manageable, well done and thanks to you all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a comment from cloudy Lanzarote.

I see that under the new lockdown rules, primary children are not allowed to partake in outdoor games. Can anyone please explain (rhetorical question) why 22 8 year olds cannot kick a football about in the open air, but can play together in an enclosed gym?

Sometimes I get the feeling that we are lions being led by donkeys.

I may be generalising, but the children who go to the weekend football clubs that meet on the school field behind our house would be from half a dozen different schools. If there was a Covid case at one of the primary schools (which there has been this week) by attending out of school clubs they could potentially be spreading it to other local schools. I know football is a non/low contact sport but the children do pick up the ball, cough as their running etc.

• Like 2

Well, we had a success last night .....Norfolk's first drive in fireworks display. 120 cars turned out ,6 feet apart (bit like Top Gear for those that watch it)  arrived in time slots and at 7pm the sky lit up.People could watch  from inside the car if they  wanted  but most stood  outside but kept close to the car and  were  very well "socially  distanced". The event had been organised for a few months had to be brought forward 24hrs  with minimal  notice due the lockdown. It made local BBC news. A great success for a small village,arranged by a couple of local  lads.

• Like 12

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

You can have all of the protocols in the world until someone changes all of the rules you are governed by at the last minute. Please don't question my expertise.... no need for that. 

Nor mine please.

35 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I may be generalising, but the children who go to the weekend football clubs that meet on the school field behind our house would be from half a dozen different schools. If there was a Covid case at one of the primary schools (which there has been this week) by attending out of school clubs they could potentially be spreading it to other local schools. I know football is a non/low contact sport but the children do pick up the ball, cough as their running etc.

Yes, although there has not been a single instance of any child contracting CV19 through outdoor sporting activity.

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Nor mine please.

Can we please just take a breath, and draw a line under this before it escalates. We are all begining to feel more pressure coming into this new lockdown and need to support each other now.😊🤗

Avril

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Can we please just take a breath, and draw a line under this before it escalates. We are all begining to feel more pressure coming into this new lockdown and need to support each other now.😊🤗

Avril

+1.

It is better for everyone if we support each other.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

And maybe there are - for some - even some benefits coming out of lockdown.  I'm not suggesting for a minute that it doesn't create a lot of hardship for a lot of people, but there are some positives.

Let's maybe concentrate on those positives to avoid too much gloom, despair and despondency?

Harry

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And maybe there are - for some - even some benefits coming out of lockdown.  I'm not suggesting for a minute that it doesn't create a lot of hardship for a lot of people, but there are some positives.

Let's maybe concentrate on those positives to avoid too much gloom, despair and despondency?

Harry

A shop assistant told Pauline yesterday that she was pleased because she could look after her seriously ill father. 

She said work wouldn't give her time off to do this before lockdown.

Graham.

36 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Can we please just take a breath, and draw a line under this before it escalates. We are all beginning to feel more pressure coming into this new lockdown and need to support each other now.😊🤗

Avril

24 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It is better for everyone if we support each other.

Yeah lets all have a good day :classic_smile:

I've just come on here this morning and we seem to be talking about expertise .
I too am an expert  you want to see me in action when I fall asleep, I'm so good I do it with my eyes closed .
I'm no expert on covid-19 disease but I do know the cure
They are an amazing band from the 80s.
A friend of mine had  his name changed from Pert.
so I guess that makes him  an ex-pert now as well .

To all our teachers out there today ,keep safe and don't forget the new rule 
of wearing a mask for anyone over 11 year old moving around the school.
Blimey I was just saying to the Mrs these teachers seem to be getting younger these days .:classic_unsure:
When I was at school my form class teacher didn't like me .
He would bellow at me "Kalos you're an idiot and at best you will end up working at Mcdonalds "  

Well Mr Smith  the jokes on you - because  " Im lovin it ! "
He once said to us all " Whoever answers the next question correctly can go home ten minutes early"

It was just then a biro hit him on the forehead .
"Who threw that he snarled ?"  "Me Sir ,can I go now ?" I replied .:classic_wacko:
If your having any fireworks tonight stay safe and follow the firework code /The lock down code and any other code the powers that be could make up today .
Police stopped a couple of youths at the end of our street last night , one was  eating fireworks and the other eating batteries.
They let one off but charged the other. (the old one's are the best :classic_biggrin:)

Right you lot have a nice day and take care & stay safe .!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As I still can’t even get a flu jab, I remain sceptical that a Covid vaccination programme will start within the next two months. 

Have you tried chemists? I was lucky, I got mine through work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yeah lets all have a good day :classic_smile:

I've just come on here this morning and we seem to be talking about expertise .
I too am an expert  you want to see me in action when I fall asleep, I'm so good I do it with my eyes closed .
I'm no expert on covid-19 disease but I do know the cure
They are an amazing band from the 80s.
A friend of mine had  his name changed from Pert.
so I guess that makes him  an ex-pert now as well .

To all our teachers out there today ,keep safe and don't forget the new rule 
of wearing a mask for anyone over 11 year old moving around the school.
Blimey I was just saying to the Mrs these teachers seem to be getting younger these days .:classic_unsure:
When I was at school my form class teacher didn't like me .
He would bellow at me "Kalos you're an idiot and at best you will end up working at Mcdonalds "  

Well Mr Smith  the jokes on you - because  " Im lovin it ! "
He once said to us all " Whoever answers the next question correctly can go home ten minutes early"

It was just then a biro hit him on the forehead .
"Who threw that he snarled ?"  "Me Sir ,can I go now ?" I replied .:classic_wacko:
If your having any fireworks tonight stay safe and follow the firework code /The lock down code and any other code the powers that be could make up today .
Police stopped a couple of youths at the end of our street last night , one was  eating fireworks and the other eating batteries.
They let one off but charged the other. (the old one's are the best :classic_biggrin:)

Right you lot have a nice day and take care & stay safe .!!

Very funny Kalos.

Humour is better than confrontational posts and keeps us all onboard even if it's not yet on a ship.😇🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Feeling sad about Christmas, I just received this :

No Nativity this year because the 3 Wise Men face a travel ban.

The shepherds have been furloughed.

The Inn keeper has shut under tier 3 regulations and had a slump in bookings.

Santa won't be working as he would break the rule of 6 with Dasher,

Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donner and Blitzen.

As for Rudolph, with that red nose, he should be isolating and taking a

test.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Very funny Kalos.

Humour is better than confrontational posts and keeps us all onboard even if it's not yet on a ship.😇🤣

And we are back in the room !  Oooh the boards have gone all upmarket :classic_unsure:

Cheers Graham,
That's what I try to do, no point in getting stressed out ,we need to suport each other 
for the sake of our mental health & wellbeing.
I will play my part cos I'm mental ,so you look after your wellbeing and 
we can swop over at half time  during this lockdown if you want .:classic_wink:
Stay safe & keep smiling .:classic_smile:

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

And we are back in the room !  Oooh the boards have gone all upmarket :classic_unsure:

Cheers Graham,
That's what I try to do, no point in getting stressed out ,we need to suport each other 
for the sake of our mental health & wellbeing.
I will play my part cos I'm mental ,so you look after your wellbeing and 
we can swop over at half time  during this lockdown if you want .:classic_wink:
Stay safe & keep smiling .:classic_smile:

Cheers Kalos.

I was at the eye infirmary yesterday and I need an operation on my right eye.

It is an Epiretinal Membrane causing Macular pucker causing blurred reading vision in my right eye.

Pre op checks December 7 and probably operation soon after but I will need to check with cardiac consultant regarding blood thinning heart treatment.

I'm looking forward to this new thread of yours.

Take care mate.

Graham.

Oh Graham, sorry to hear that.  I am sitting here with my leg up.  Possibly tear to the ligament between the fib and tib.  May need pinning 😞

Hubby is on warfarin, so constantly cold.  It's good this ageing process innit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Cheers Kalos.

I was at the eye infirmary yesterday and I need an operation on my right eye.

It is an Epiretinal Membrane causing Macular pucker causing blurred reading vision in my right eye.

Pre op checks December 7 and probably operation soon after but I will need to check with cardiac consultant regarding blood thinning heart treatment.

I'm looking forward to this new thread of yours.

Take care mate.

Graham.

I hope all goes well for you and I'm sure your cardio will sort you out so your op can go ahead .

I was just looking back and it was 13 month and a week ago since I first met my cardio guy .

When I get to see him again is another question but hey providing we are all safe ! :classic_smile:

Onwards and upwards matey & take care :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1