P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That must have been a big shock Avril.

Hope it has not upset you too much.

Graham.

No it didn't Graham, I  just couldn't believe what I saw. An quick update though. I thought I'd contact them  so they could sort themselves out as this was the first I knew about it. It seems mum has had it since 1949 and it's just been forgotton. So who knows. Very odd. I'll wait and see. I'll not put an order in for the yacht just yet😄

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

After yesterday's long haul it might be better to have a shorter drive today, considering your age and all that😁 I'm sure the drive through the Alps will be beautiful, and it'll get you acclimatised for when you get home, you'll certainly need it. Take care bro.

Sis

Arrived in Chiasso,no problems,didn't see any plod the whole journey.6th floor apartment not quite as quaint as Tuscany but has all the mod cons.I suppose I'll have a few voddies.The Gotthard tunnel thru the Alps is 10 miles long and reaches 35c in the center.The views either side are amazing though.I'll try and post some snow capped Alps photos tomorrow,cheers,bro.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

Can’t fault Royal Mail around here. We’re in the back of beyond but they deliver every day (apart from Sunday) in all weathers. Couriers are brilliant too apart from Hermes!

These days I prefer couriers to Royal Mail, as the online tracking is generally very good.

I haven't had a problem with Hermes for a long time. The local courier is very good, and I use Hermes when I've sold something on eBay, taking the parcels to the local farm shop for collection. If I post on Monday, it's nearly always delivered by Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Arrived in Chiasso,no problems,didn't see any plod the whole journey.6th floor apartment not quite as quaint as Tuscany but has all the mod cons.I suppose I'll have a few voddies.The Gotthard tunnel thru the Alps is 10 miles long and reaches 35c in the center.The views either side are amazing though.I'll try and post some snow capped Alps photos tomorrow,cheers,bro.

Second leg completed so you deserve the voddies and the R&R. Only one more stop to go I think you said?  Thanks for the updates bro. Keep warm and take care.

Sis

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

For goodness sake don't tell or you be one of the Hermes customers with your parcel thrown in a field. I have to say, I haven't had any problems with Hermes either.  I hope I've not just jinxed myself🤞

Avril

We have had the same Hermes lady for years and gives us the best delivery service of all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We like to buy from shops rather than on line. It amuses me that people buy everything online and then complain about the death of the high st.

To add to what your saying ,the local councils do not make shopping in the town centre easy .

Most towns like ours, coaxed most of the big shops into retail parks outside the town centres,

giving them cheaper rates etc. to move there.

Meanwhile over the years car parking in town centres was not much fun , trying to get to a location using our crazy one way system and the cost of parking ended up with a lot of people not visiting ,opting for the parking away from town centres ,hence a lot of shops began to close anyway.

Looking on the bright side though, five years ago our town won the coveted title ...

"Rotherham Best Town Centre In The UK":classic_ohmy:

Whether it was down to our vast array of charity or betting shops I'm not sure .

It could have been the shops closing down sales or our collection of  high end eateries ,

like KFC'S, McDonald's ,Greggs and you're never far away from a pizza van or shop.:classic_wacko:

All of this and the tourists never came to visit :classic_mellow:  Why I'm not sure :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

How about this?  

Back in April I received a letter from the hospital telling me my last MRI result was satisfactory - for a scan I hadn't yet had!

Rang the hospital and told them I hadn't had my annual scan, I was still waiting for it.

My friend who has breast cancer recently received a letter with an appointment date .She phoned up to ask what date the mammogram would be.She was told that as she had had a mastectomy she wouldn t need a mammogram- It was news to her!! (She had previously been advised to have a mastectomy but the consultant had decided against it due to her other health problems)

No problems with Hermes or Amazon's own delivery service here, or any others, really. 

Just Royal Mail - that's twice this week they've skipped this round because our usual postman isn't able to do it.  So much for the required 6 day delivery service!  And we're not even in London - or anywhere near it.

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Impressive! I think it's the new World Beating  Predictive Scan system, developed by Dido Harding in conjunction with Apple and Google.

Careful though, because the new Predictive Surgery system has had some early failures involving people waking up in the morning to find various body parts added or removed almost at random. 😁

Aargh!, please don't use the words 'beating' and 'world', especially in connection with anything 😱

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

On the topic of Royal Mail, I've just had a heck of a shock this morning. I've opened a letter addressed to my  mum from an insurance company with her annual statement for 2019. Mum died in 1993!!!

Avril

That is terrible! I’m glad you weren’t upset but you would have been if it had been soon after you lost her. There was hell to pay when I worked in the bank when the odd letter slipped through.

Now they don’t seem to be able to deviate from their script. An old friend of mine told someone who phoned her from a bank that her cancer was terminal and the bank lady rang off saying “sorry about that, hope you feel better!!” Oh dear.

20 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Literally, anything over Strictly in this house. Really can't see the appeal, popular though we know it is. Pretty much anything with 'celebrities' in is a no go area.

Than you, Humax - and for allowing adverts to be skipped!

Have watched it in the past but not doing it for me this year. We are watchig I'm a Celebrity for the first time to support that amazing Castle Trust and beautiful North Wales. As for Death in Paradise --- it just makes us escape and want to be there NOW!

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We have had the same Hermes lady for years and gives us the best delivery service of all.

We have had a number of Ted Baker deliveries for Pauline and our Sarah from Hermes and they are excellent in keeping us informed about delivery times.

Just heard some devastating news about a 33 year old local lad, (Michelle's hairdressers brother) who was fit and healthy and was Europe's 5th strongest man in 2018, who became ill with Covid 11 days ago and has now died... 

He seemingly followed all the guidelines like the rest of us. 

For all the doubters... I hope you never have to deal with what his family and 12 year old son are going through now... 

Andy 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just heard some devastating news about a 33 year old local lad, (Michelle's hairdressers brother) who was fit and healthy and was Europe's 5th strongest man in 2018, who became ill with Covid 11 days ago and has now died... 

For all the doubters... I hope you never have to deal with what his family and 12 year old son are going through now... 

Andy 

How sad and heartbreaking for his family.Hopefully the vaccines will be ready to roll out in the next couple of weeks.There are also promising trials for a different sort of vaccine suitable for those of us who have a suppressed immune system- ready for next spring.I will be first in the queue!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

That's shocking news Andy. This virus is devastating lives and it makes me so angry when I see even medical professionals saying it's a hoax and encouraging people to ignore all medical advice. I really feel for his family, it's heartbreaking..

Avril

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Indeed a very devastating story Andy and we are very sad for him and his family.

Last Saturday Pauline said our bed was shaking violently with me shivering and then the sweat was gushing out of me and she was extremely worried.

Covid19 is very nasty and can kill the strongest of us as your story showed and anyone who doesn't take this seriously is playing Russian roulette with their and other people's lives.

Graham.

• Like 7