P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

It's not a slanging match,it's just people expressing their opinions and understandings of how they view the situation that we have all found ourselves in.You mention the BBC NEWS,did you manage to watch the nurse on there the other day saying how the childrens ward was full of covid patients?

But when someone’s so-called ‘understanding’ is so wide of the mark that it’s laughable, then I think it’s important to state how ridiculous their comments are. I have first hand knowledge of school systems, and not just as a parent, so I feel justified in stating facts. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Use the ignore facility to remove yourself from seeing posts which upset.  I’ve just checked and I’m kinda surprised kinda saddened to see that I have accrued an Ignore list of 8 😳. (Some are probably people who are long gone anyway)

It feels a bit sad but I enjoy it here, mostly, and I will not let characters with whom I feel no connection cause me to leave.  It feels like self preservation.  We all need to put ourselves first.  Maybe that’s what They are doing too?  If we ignore each other the forum can be there for everyone 

Some are long gone but there is always the possibility that some are simply recycled under a new user name.

I don’t agree with the views of some folks on here (and I know they don’t agree with me) but I respect them as they are consistent and contribute useful information. There is a world of difference between that and folks who just stir and twist the sake of it and there have been a number of them over the years.

The forum is however here for everyone, as you say

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There may be a case for older teachers and those with certain health issues to be given the vaccination ahead of their normal slot. However there are very many other groups of workers who could equally claim they should be vaccinated immediately. But the health advice is still that, apart from certain health conditions, age is the most important factor in determining risk.

It seems as if being a teacher is a risky occupation in the time of Covid

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-teacher-covid-rates-333-above-average

If the priority was to keep schools open above all else, perhaps the staff in the schools should be given the vaccination as a priority, especially as there is a suggestion that the role is higher risk 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

It's my opinion that what i read in 12664 was somebody moaning about what his daughter had been through the day prior to the post.You were responding to someone elses comment in 12664 and after reading it in it's entirity in my opinion you were moaning.If you were not moaning and your intention was not to moan then i can only apologise for my comment about you moaning,which you have said you were not moaning.Hope this clears it up about the moaning that you feel was inacurate.

Then you need to read the thread again, in its entirety.  I never mentioned what my daughter ‘had been through the day prior to the post’. I did however refer to the work that she had been doing during the school holiday in preparation for face-to-face lessons in school. She’s not a moaner. If I had to describe her emotions, it would be despairing which is exactly what the previous poster had said.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

But when someone’s so-called ‘understanding’ is so wide of the mark that it’s laughable, then I think it’s important to state how ridiculous their comments are. I have first hand knowledge of school systems, and not just as a parent, so I feel justified in stating facts. 

Surely you meant to say someone's understanding is so wide of the mark, IN YOUR OPINION, and maybe claiming that your first hand knowledge trumps anyone else's, might be considered to be just a little vain. Solely in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Stating facts.

Unfortunately there are two or three posters here who dislike seeing facts that don't suit their own agenda, and they try to belittle the people that post those facts.

We've already seen an example of that today and it happens regularly. 

Don't allow yourselves to be bullied by these posters people - please don't leave, we need as wide a mix as possible both for balance and to keep things interesting!  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It seems as if being a teacher is a risky occupation in the time of Covid

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-teacher-covid-rates-333-above-average

If the priority was to keep schools open above all else, perhaps the staff in the schools should be given the vaccination as a priority, especially as there is a suggestion that the role is higher risk 

That’s a very interesting idea which seems quite sensible! The only people around here to have had the vaccine are health workers. That includes some administrative staff in the GP surgery and they’re currently not seeing people face to face apart from dispensing prescriptions. My daughter teaches eight classes of 25 teenagers a week without PPE. That’s a lot of contact. I honestly don’t know what would be best though! The teacher bashers would have a field day if your idea was implemented! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Then you need to read the thread again, in its entirety.  I never mentioned what my daughter ‘had been through the day prior to the post’. I did however refer to the work that she had been doing during the school holiday in preparation for face-to-face lessons in school. She’s not a moaner. If I had to describe her emotions, it would be despairing which is exactly what the previous poster had said.

Your twisting things,i never said SHE's a moaner,it's clearly aimed at the author of 12664,which happens to be you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Surely you meant to say someone's understanding is so wide of the mark, IN YOUR OPINION, and maybe claiming that your first hand knowledge trumps anyone else's, might be considered to be just a little vain. Solely in my opinion of course.

I don’t know how hospitals operate, so wouldn’t comment on their internal systems. I do know what curriculum planning involves, and some comments here are simply ridiculous. 

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s a very interesting idea which seems quite sensible! The only people around here to have had the vaccine are health workers. That includes some administrative staff in the GP surgery and they’re currently not seeing people face to face apart from dispensing prescriptions. My daughter teaches eight classes of 25 teenagers a week without PPE. That’s a lot of contact. I honestly don’t know what would be best though! The teacher bashers would have a field day if your idea was implemented! 

Once there is a regular supply of vaccine maybe giving it to teachers and support staff who come into contact with children would be a way of getting people back into education ASAP. I would be happy to wait for my jab a bit longer for this to happen.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Your twisting things,i never said SHE's a moaner,it's clearly aimed at the author of 12664,which happens to be you.

No, merely following on from the post I quoted In post 12664 which drew attention to poor planning by the authorities which then in turn caused problems late in the day for parents, schools etc. 

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

No, merely following on from the post I quoted In post 12664 which drew attention to poor planning by the authorities which then in turn caused problems late in the day for parents, schools etc. 

Every decision made by the government regarding the tiers and lockdown affects all of us,perhaps a good idea for the teaching unions would be to lobby no.10 to put teachers after the groups 1- 4 vaccines,that would get a lot of backing and understanding.

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

If that is aimed at me then as NHS staff I will call it as I see it and make no apologies for that. 

The tone on here has become most unpleasant and no longer somewhere I feel comfortable posting so I’ll bid you adieu.

It's certainly getting very confrontational on here now, no matter what is posted someone has to fire back with a nasty remark. This thread was intended to help us during lockdown, and now things are bad again we need it more than ever. This used to be a lovely friendly forum, but not so much anymore.  I love  a good friendly debate on various subjects, unfortunately though we now have another thread dedicated to angry political arguments. I shall continue to scan the posts hoping that eventually some fingers will get cramp. Until then I don't think I'll be posting much either, I don't need extra stress, we  already  have enough.

Stay safe and take care

Avril

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

It's my opinion that what i read in 12664 was somebody moaning about what his daughter had been through the day prior to the post.You were responding to someone elses comment in 12664 and after reading it in it's entirity in my opinion you were moaning.If you were not moaning and your intention was not to moan then i can only apologise for my comment about you moaning,which you have said you were not moaning.Hope this clears it up about the moaning that you feel was inacurate.

Sorry, but this made me laugh - I've never seen a post that moaned so much about someone else (allegedly) moaning😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

It's certainly getting very confrontational on here now, no matter what is posted someone has to fire back with a nasty remark. This thread was intended to help us during lockdown, and now things are bad again we need it more than ever. This used to be a lovely friendly forum, but not so much anymore.  I love  a good friendly debate on various subjects, unfortunately though we now have another thread dedicated to angry political arguments. I shall continue to scan the posts hoping that eventually some fingers will get cramp. Until then I don't think I'll be posting much either, I don't need extra stress, we  already  have enough.

Stay safe and take care

Avril

Totally agree Avril. Broken records spring to mind 🙄

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Stay safe and take care

Avril

Turn the tide Avril, start us off on something more congenial. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Sorry, but this made me laugh - I've never seen a post that moaned so much about someone else (allegedly) moaning😂

It was done as sarcasm to hopefully stop people from moaning,i don't understand why they do it.We have a vaccine that's on it's way and they still find stuff to moan about,i've recently been accused of causing an argument,by an expert.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Once there is a regular supply of vaccine maybe giving it to teachers and support staff who come into contact with children would be a way of getting people back into education ASAP. I would be happy to wait for my jab a bit longer for this to happen.

+1

• Like 1

Well during the last lockdown I perfected my baking skills (a bit). We will be having a birthday celebration for the sourdough in a couple of months which was a godsend when there was no yeast and has been kept alive ever since.

So now I am going to try my hand and cheese making, something I have never done before. I was given a kit for Christmas so I’ll start that tomorrow.

Had anyone made cheese at home, any tips for a beginner?

• Like 1